Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Trapped In the Rescue Truck??

Here's an interesting "What Would You Do?" story from an Arkansas rescue instructor

-----Original Message-----
    Hey Ron,
    I have an intersting incident that happened on Memorial Day. We were dispatched to a one vehicle rollover mva north of town approximately six miles outside the city limits. We found when we arrived a pickup truck on its top with the top pancaked flat with the hood of the truck. There was one man trapped, his legs weren't pinned, so it looked like a simple pop the door and extricate the victim. There was a four inch gap at the base of the door to place our spreader tips.
    The down side to that was that the apparatus door to access the spreader and cutter was jammed and we could not for the life of us get it opened. We immediatly called for our backup rescue for another set of tools. In the meantime I began my thought process of how I was going to get this door off without our spreaders.
    Our truck is set up with two electric power units, one on each side of the truck. The compartment we needed to access housed our heavy duty cutter, spreader, and power unit. The side we did have access to housed a long blade cutter, all of our rams and another electric power unit. My first thought process was how to take off the door with the tools we had.
    At last, once I began "thinking outside the realm of hydraulics" I discovered there was enough gap in the door to fit our airbags in and possibly blow the door off the pin that way. We did not get a chance to try it though because by that time our second rescue truck showed up with our other set of spreaders.
    In short, our next salvage yard training will not include hydraulic rescue tools. I guess I am in that spoiled younger generation of firefighters that have always had the luxury of hydraulic rescue tools.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

I guess I am in that spoiled younger generation of firefighters that have always had the luxury of hydraulic rescue tools.
    That's a good point- many departmetns don't seem to be able to get past the use of hydraulic tools. There are so many ways to extricate.

We mucked around many years ago and actually discovered with all the tools we had on our rescue truck, we could perform something like 25 different, consecutive rescues if we employed every tool in the truck and tried different techniques.

We found when we arrived a pickup truck on its top with the top pancaked flat with the hood of the truck. There was one man trapped, his legs weren't pinned, so it looked like a simple pop the door and extricate the victim.
    This reminded me of one we went to a while ago- I'll hunt down a photo and post it up...
    Luke

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We found when we arrived a pickup truck on its top with the top pancaked flat with the hood of the truck. There was one man trapped, his legs weren't pinned, so it looked like a simple pop the door and extricate the victim.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This reminded me of one we went to a while ago- I'll hunt down a photo and post it up...
    Here it is posted in another topic on these forums-
    CLICK HERE
    Luke

Like this?

This one was REALLY easy... mainly because both occupants were thrown out of the truck before it landed.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information