Forum Member

Unhappy Chicago firehouse burns....

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4122697/det...94&dppid=65172

Bad news when your own quarters burn while you're out doing your job.......

Forum Member

I read that this morning. From what the article I read ( I didn't click your link cuz I'd already read about it) it appears that an SUV in the parking lot caught fire and then extended to the building. Pretty crappy thing to "come home" to.

Hmmmmmm I just read the article you posted and it gives a different cause than the one I read so I'm posting the other one:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/0124...firehouse.html

January 24, 2005 Firefighters battled a blaze at a South Side firehouse near 71st and Parnell. No one was injured.
    The fire apparently started in the rear of the building. It's believed an SUV parked in a lot behind the firehouse somehow caught fire. The flames then spread to the building.
    Because the station was apparently empty at the time, no firefighters were injured.
    The firefighters, paramedics and fire department vehicles assigned to the damaged firehouse have been transferred to some other nearby stations
    Last edited by PFire23; 01-24-2005 at 10:18 AM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Sucks, and I hope that the guys at that house did not lose much in the way of personal items and momentos. Hope it was not one of the guys trucks that started the fire, would not want that feling of guilt on top of the feeling of loss.

At the same time the little devil in me gets a chuckle when firehouses burn or cop cars are stolen or when I see a tow truck towing a tow truck. As long as no one is hurt the irony is a little funny.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default Same fire,two causes

One report listed the cause as the vehicle extending into the firehouse, but another stated something about the fire originating in the structure itself. That was where their TV room was. Gonna be fun for the neighborhood with their fire companies scattered to the four winds, however.....it's going to make for some interesting still alarm assignments.
    Last edited by CDean867; 01-24-2005 at 10:30 AM.

Forum Member

Maybe someday we will ALL get a clue and put sprinklers in our stations. Doubt it
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

DennisTheMenace said
    At the same time the little devil in me gets a chuckle when firehouses burn or cop cars are stolen or when I see a tow truck towing a tow truck. As long as no one is hurt the irony is a little funny.
    I may get a little chuckle when hearing of a police car being stolen, and I certainly smile and see the irony when I see a tow truck getting towed but even my warped sense of humor doesn't see a d*** thing funny about a fire station burning. Short of a LODD or serious injury, I can't think of anything that would be more devastating to a department than to have their station burn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe someday we will ALL get a clue and put sprinklers in our stations.
    We were fortunate enough to get an AFG grant last year to add a sprinkler and alarm system to our station. I thought it more important than a new pumper (applied for that and got it this year!)

District Chief

I would wager that sprinklers were not a consideration when that station was built.

I also concur that there is not one darn thing funny about it.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Can't see any humor in it, AT ALL!

Firehouses shouldn't fall to flame. It's not the least bit funny!
    09.11.01--Never Forgotten
    FTM_PTB

"Darn those pesky flaming mice."

Forum Member

Sprinkler systems! We preach it we should use it.

Forum Member

Probably not. They were more concerned with were to store the hay
    Gotta love the old houses
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

i will admit fire houses should not burn down and it shouldn't be funny but when you think about it it definatly could have been worse and hearing about a station burning is a little funny as long as no serious damage is done and nobody gets hurt. And ALL depts. should be sprinklered because like somone said we preach it and we should use it!
    Do what you have to do for everyone to go home
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff

September 11th All gave some, some gave all Fever Forget!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sprinklers can be retrofitted into any building. As I have said here a million times, firehouses are part of a city's critical infrastructure and should be protected as such.

Here's a more important question. Were there any smoke detectors in this station? Men sleep there. There should have been.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Sprinklers can be retrofitted into any building. As I have said here a million times, firehouses are part of a city's critical infrastructure and should be protected as such.

Here's a more important question. Were there any smoke detectors in this station? Men sleep there. There should have been.
    There may be smoke detectors, but are they tied into the City's fire alarm system or are they just local alarms?

In some communities, the Brad of health would close down apartment buildings as "unsafe for human habitiation" for leaky roofs and plumbing, peeling paint, rodent and insect infestations, yet they will not shut down and make the repairs an old firehouse where firefighters live 24/7 while on duty to remain open despite having the same problems.

Sprinklers can be retrofitted, yes...but to the mutts, the Fire Department is the on the bottom of the priority list .
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Engine 54 and Truck 20 were at another fire. Ambulance 14 was out too. When Engine 84 arrived they were met with a lot of fire. The cause appears to be electrical. Do not blame firefighters for no sprinklers. That is all the fault of the city.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

That happened several years ago to a station in a neighboring city (in California)... the worst of it, it was because a pile of oily rags were left in the apparatus bay... not in a metal container, but rather on the floor.

Forum Member

The Companies are scattered at 3 different firehouses right now. I know the community hopes they hurry back soon. These are 2 very busy fire companies. Ambulance 14 is very busy too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information