MembersZone Subscriber

Default Georgia firefighter/truck accident

OK, I have a couple of questions. Not to criticize, just wondering. The hot-shot article said this firefighter was responding to a fire call, why was she alone? I understand vol./small depts do out with what they can, but our rig does not roll with just one person. And I'm sorry, but fido's life is not worth the life of a firefighter.
    Again, just wondering??

p.s. I am really glad to hear she did not get seriously hurt!!

Forum Member

Default Re: Georgia firefighter/truck accident

Originally posted by mwachter
    OK, I have a couple of questions. Not to criticize, just wondering. The hot-shot article said this firefighter was responding to a fire call, why was she alone? I understand vol./small depts do out with what they can, but our rig does not roll with just one person. And I'm sorry, but fido's life is not worth the life of a firefighter.
    Again, just wondering??

p.s. I am really glad to hear she did not get seriously hurt!!
    Yep, swearving in a 30K lbs vehicle to avoid a dog is not quite bright. Glad she is relatively fine.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Next time........HIT THE DOG!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

District Chief

In answer to the first question....In a small department you do what you have to do. I know a few volunteer departments here that often leave with one person and the rest show up in cars or whatever... But they get it done. In this case, it is probably a good thing she was alone!

Yep....I am thinking that I would have hit the dog!..

She is lucky....better count her blessing or play that day on the lottery or something!
    Last edited by captstanm1; 01-24-2005 at 01:36 PM.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

One thing my dad taught me was its easier to replace the dog, then lose the rig.

However, i dont think responding one is ever good. I mean, i know some vollie departments are small. But what happens i f no one else is there. YOu can't run a one man truck or engine. It's four out the door around here, and it's all vollie.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hit the Dog..

On one of my first FD test,one of the questions on the written exam was. If you are responding to a call with lights and sirens and a dog runs in your path what do you do?
    (a) Slowly apply brakes, and steer away from the dog
    (b) Slam on brakes at all cost to avoid the dog.
    (c) Nothing hit the dog.
    (d) Steer the truck away from the dog.

The answer was C. Hit the dog.

Always thought that was a funny question, but in the 14 years I have been on the job. Have yet to have it happen. I must make to much noise with the siren and air horn that they do not want to run in front of me.
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

Forum Member

It is easy to say "hit the dog", but I am afraid that when an object suddenly appears in your path, your instincts might cause you to swerve before you have time to "think" about what to do to deal with that object. We all can probably agree that hitting the dog would be the better choice, but I can't say for sure that I am 100% certain that I wouldn't grab the wheel to swerve before I realized I wasn't driving a car. That is why I tend to be one of the slowest drivers on my department (at least I feel like I am)... it is easier to correct that swerve if you are going 10 MPH slower.

I have had to take a rig out by myself a few times. But when I do, I pretty much run the lights and sirens while obeying the traffic laws to the letter. I feel much more comfortable with someone in the "officer's seat" to help me watch intersections and blind spots.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    Next time........HIT THE DOG!
    Funny...but very true.

Forum Member

I might apply some braking, but it should be "maintain control at all costs" rather than "avoid the dog at all costs". If you can safely avoid the animal, that's great. If not, well the owner should have put the animal on a leesh.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Training and EXPERIANCE will be the deciding factor if the dog is to live or die. Lack of training and experiance, and the dog lives but the driver can be in serious trouble as demonstarted here.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

gdhickster3 wrote

However, i dont think responding one is ever good. I mean, i know some vollie departments are small. But what happens i f no one else is there. YOu can't run a one man truck or engine. It's four out the door around here, and it's all vollie.
    Sounds like you are spoiled when it comes to your staffing. Not that it's a bad thing but until you've been on the other side I don't think you should make a statement that makes it sound as if every vollie dept. can do it. Would love nothing more than to "four out the door" but in our situation it is impossible at this time.

captstanm1 wrote

In answer to the first question....In a small department you do what you have to do. I know a few volunteer departments here that often leave with one person and the rest show up in cars or whatever... But they get it done. In this case, it is probably a good thing she was alone!

Agreed...This is how it works in quite a few areas in this country. We end up doing as best we can with what we have to work with.

Forum Member

About a month ago I didn't even flinch as I took out a rabbit while driving a tanker. Sorry, Bugs. Even bus drivers know this drill, there is no animal worth saving in exchange for risking wrecking the rig and hurting your passengers. How much more valuable and timely are our services when someone has dialed 911 to ask for them? Sorry, but splat it and keep going.

This should be mentioned in all driver training courses, even for 16 years old in driver's ed, not just for us.

Forum Member

RLFD14

Good point. Not swerving for an animal should be taught in driver's ed. classes and by parents. Here in Michigan, car deer accidents are very common but swerving to avoid one lots of times causes the operator to roll over or hit a tree causing an injury and more damage to the vehicle than hitting the deer.

Thread Information