Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Law enforcement using T Imaging Camera

Have any of you had to let law enforcement borrow or request you to use a Thermal Imaging Camera to aid in searching for someone who has "bushbonded"?

Default Re: Law enforcement using T Imaging Camera

Originally posted by Flochief
    Have any of you had to let law enforcement borrow or request you to use a Thermal Imaging Camera to aid in searching for someone who has "bushbonded"?
    Cops in this area already have them, and have whop-whop birds with FLIR. They use our light and air a lot though.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Exclamation

The have their own TIC's. You may be surprised to also know that they have turnout gear, scba's, EMS equipment, halligans, battering rams, heavy responce vehicles and all the other nice stuff that we Firefighters have tested and proved to be good.

They also have guns. We don't carry them except for investigators.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer

They also have guns. We don't carry them except for investigators.

Well we have air guns, a big water gun on top of the engine, and a lyle gun encased in glass.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Must be nice to have equiped police. We work with the RCMP if they are looking for someone in the bush or for clandestine labs. It would be a simpler world if people just drank beer.......responsibly!

It would be a simpler world if people just drank beer.......responsibly!
    But then we would lose our job security!

When we got our camera, we let the PD know it was available if they ever needed it. So far, it hasn't come up but we would let them use it without hesitation.

It is probably all moot, in a few months they'll have a canine. That should handle the runners.

Forum Member

I know we have had to let our PD use the TIC before to search for people in houses. It was kind of FD/EMS related, however, in the sense that they were searching for the person because people heard screaming.
    FF/EMT

"Tioga Fire this is Owego 874...."
    "874"
    "Yeah......she's burnin'....."

Not loaning it to them, but it's standard...err, required...practice for the CT State Police to request the FD with a Thermal Imager for any auto accident that there's no victims at when they arrive.

Their first choice is a State Police canine, but if none is available on a timely basis, then the local FD gets the call (all FDs should have at least one via a State program a few years back). I suppose they could use Trooper 1's FLIR too.

This came about about 2 years ago when there was a fatal ejection -- didn't look like that bad of a crash, and neither the Troopers nor the FD that had responded realized the victim was in the nearby brush. It was assumed he had crashed and walked away (IIRC the Trooper got there first and released FD on their arrival). Friends & Family searching found the guy a few days later.

Since then, the CSP must conduct a search if no one is around, either by Canine or Thermal Imager.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

We have two imagers, and our police department has used them both routinely.

And seeing as that up until 2002 when they began to wildly propagate, we had a full 1/3 of all thermal imagers in the county(sad, I know), a lot of PDs were calling for em.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

While on a follow up i nvestigation one night, I got called to respond to the scene of a shooting. There was a police chase and the actor had tossed the gun from the vehicle into a wooded area. I was assigned to a crime scene team to locate the weapon. Needle in a haystack, right?

Nope, dispatched the FD with a TIC, found the gun in five minutes.

We've found:

- suspects that broke into a restaraunt that were hiding 15' off the road in the woods, and were missed by non-TIC units

- suspect that stole a car from a city south of us, and dumped it in our town... non-TIC units and canine units did not locate him ducking behind a car nearly a mile from the scene

I think we had another "find" but I can't recall the specifics. But it's kinda funny, we've had more lucking finding bad guys than patients/victims.

(corrected to add: we provide them to police officers, and/or cross-trained personnel... we don't go out solo!)
    Last edited by Resq14; 01-24-2005 at 05:52 PM.
    God Bless America! ē Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friendô ē Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

Got called to a scene after a domestic to assist pd with the tic. They had been looking for the suspect for a couple of hours with no luck. Showed local pd how to work tic and within half an hour they had suspect in custody on a dark and rainy night, they found him huddled next to a tree in the woods 150 ft from the residence where his x lived and he was armed. I stayed warm and dry with an officer in one of the squad cars.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where i used to work we let the local sheriffs dept use our camera. They knew if we need it then it was there job to bring it to our scene asap. We only had one camera and most of the other county department's didnt have cameras. They used it several times. Mostly to search for suspects in dark wooded areas. Seamed to improve our working relationship with the deputies.

Mike

we have not yet here but I am sure if it was needed we would let them use it .I think that TPD's AIR 1 has FLIR when it is up and running.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

We responded to a reported car fire in a residential neighborhood. No fire, but driver had blown a tire and drove home on the flat until the tire was gone and the alloy wheel reduced to nothing. PD suspected a drunk driver. Using our TIC, we could see where the driver fell on the ground after getting out of the car (which was parked half on the lawn and half on the sidewalk, missing the driveway by a good 4 feet) and crawled across the lawn and to the steps. PD rang the doorbell, asked to speak to the driver of the car, he slurred "that's me"... he still had the keys in his hand... he admitted to driving drunk and wanted to be arrested!

The local constabulary granted his request....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

We have had the local PD call us out several times for the use of our TIC to look for people in the woods or search an area...
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Local area cops

We have responded out multiple times to assist deputies in searching for bush bound offenders, Overall I think it was a great chance to improve relations between both departments. Many officers were lame to the idea at first but now they have seen some of the benefits they are calling moreoften.

Forum Member

P D calls us for help, we're there. We call them for help, they're there. Works out great for all.

We have assisted our PD with ours before and they also have their own. I was surprised they got one themselves, especially since when we got ours, the PD Chief was told by one of our people that it would be available to them if they needed it and he looked at us and said "What would we need that for?!" and we walked away........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information