Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Life without dad...

January 24th, 2005 -- After their mother told them their father had been killed, the two little girls came out of the bedroom in tears.
    The older of Fire Lt. Curtis Meyran's daughters turned to a family friend named Jimmy Boyle who was standing in the living room.

"What happened?" 10-year-old Angela now asked.

Boyle had been up at St. Barnabas Hospital with the girls' mother. He is the former president of the firefighters union. He lost his son at the World Trade Center. He now tried to explain to Angela and her 6-year-old sister, Danine, how their father and another firefighter had perished at a fire in the Bronx.

"Your father went off a building, but he saved everybody," Boyle said by his recollection. "Everybody got saved. He's a hero's hero."

"Wow," Angela said. "That's nice."

She was at her grandparents' house, the sun outside glinting off the snow. She had planned to go out when her daddy got home.

"He was supposed to take me sleigh riding," Angela told Boyle.

The little girl stood there with the enormity of life without her father. She began speaking of school, saying that she had a big test coming up.

"I don't think I'll do that well because I love my daddy so much," Angela said. "I can't believe he's gone."

"Your father's here with us now," Boyle would remember telling her. "You've got to believe he's sitting right on your shoulder and he's with my son also."

Boyle said that he was sure she would do fine on the test, but she might take it a little later.

"I think you're going to be helping Mommy," Boyle said.

Angela told Boyle her father was her best friend, the one who watched the Yankees with her. She hugged Boyle and said her sister keeps a holy card from his son Michael's wake on her shelf.

"Say a prayer tonight for Daddy," Boyle said. "Your daddy's with my son now. He's with the boys."

Boyle looked at Danine, who had a heart defect as an infant and had been so tiny. She underwent five hours of open-heart surgery and here she was six years later, a healthy miracle of life, uncomprehending in the shadow of her father's death.

"Mr. Boyle, I'm 40 pounds!" Danine announced.

Angela said that Danine had not grasped that their daddy was never coming home.

"My sister, she doesn't really understand yet," Angela said. "She's crying because I'm crying and Mommy's crying."

Boyle took a moment to speak to the fallen firefighter's 16-year-old son, Dennis.

"Your dad's gone," Boyle would recall saying. "He's a hero. At this point, we need you. You've got to step up. Make us all proud. You've got two little sisters."

Dennis embraced Boyle. The boy would have to be as strong and brave as his father.

"I will," Dennis said.

The time came for the mother, Jeanette, to take the children through the snowy streets to the home that suddenly had no father. Jeanette had told Boyle earlier that she was sure this was all some horrible dream.

"This isn't true, is it?" she had asked.

She now went off with the kids into what was as real as the world's monumental unfairness. Her husband had time after time gone into fires to save others, once pulling two little girls from a blazing basement. Now he would never see his own children grow up and start families of their own. The firefighter who died with him, John Bellew, had four kids - 5 months to 6 years.

Boyle was catching a ride home with Fire Chaplain John Delendick when the priest's phone rang. Another firefighter had been fatally injured, this one in Brooklyn.

Delendick dropped Boyle off and raced to Brookdale University Hospital. Boyle remained at home. He recounted a moment at the hospital, after he had gone in with Jeanette Meyran to see her husband's body.

"I just held her and I told her I loved her and I told her how much Curt loved her," Boyle said.

Boyle then spoke again of 10-year-old Angela.

"Such a little lady," Boyle said. "And so devastated."
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

I read this with extremely watery vision. Thanks for posting that Ray....... such a sad time for those families. May God bless them all.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

This thear is way to valuable to be near the bottom of this page , so I thought I would add to it. As I prepare for Iraq, reading this reminded me of the risk we take with this profession we all so love. However it doesn't make it any easier for teh loved ones that stand beside us day in and day out. i to have lost someoen from my Engine company before so understand soem of the challanges we in this bussiness face. We and maybe I shouldn't speak for everybody but I think as a whole we tend to forget about the sacarfies our loved ones make for teh job we do as well. We can sit around and vent to our brothers /sisters at teh firehouse but when we get home with our love ones and they ask how our day/shift was, they are asking out of concern make the time to talk with the family as we never know when the last bell will ring and we never get to say what was on our minds
    Scottie Harris
    sh_fireinv@hotmail.com
    Stay Safe out there
    David "Scottie" Harris
    Captain
    D-4 Camp Falcon
    Baghdad, Iraq
    sh_fireinv@hotmail.com
    "There is no right way to do a wrong thing...no success in management will ever compensate for a failure in leadership."

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

As a father of 3 young children this hits so close to home. I say a little prayer for them every morning on my way to the firehouse...

My thoughts and prayers to all our Brothers in the FDNY.

fieldseng2

WEBTEAM>>>>>>>>>>>This deserves to be a "STICKY"

As did PFIRE, I read this story with tears in my eyes. Such a sad and sombering story. Thanks to Brother Ray for sharing it with us.

God be with them as they struggle through this tragedy. I lost my dad at the ripe old age of 42 and it was as if someone had ripped out my heart. When he went down of a heart attack, he called me first and when got to him only minutes from my house, he looked me in the eye and said, "This is it....I am done!" Since he was also in the Fire Service I knew he knew. Eevn at the age of 42, after being with him all that time, it was (and still is) as if som much went unsaid and undone.

With that being said, I realize completely how these young children feel. There will forever be a whole in their life, because nothing can ever replace the loss of your dad!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

If there is anyone, and I mean ANYONE, I would want with my family at a time like this, it would be Jimmy Boyle.

MembersZone Subscriber PFD109NFD107's Avatar

Originally posted by E229Lt
    If there is anyone, and I mean ANYONE, I would want with my family at a time like this, it would be Jimmy Boyle.
    I agree. Fine job Jimmy!!!!

If something ever happens to me while on the job I would hope that whoever delivered the news to my kids would have at least half the heart as him.

RIP Brothers!!

Great post Ray I thank you and may God bless these families.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Heartbreaking

Jimmy Boyle .... I am speechless. Your strength and character are truly amazing.

Ray, thank you for sharing something incredibly special with us yet again.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for posting this Ray. Jimmy Boyle-the courage and strength you have in your heart is immeasurable.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

"Fuzzy-vision".... I hope everyone can read it. Loosing a parent to illness is one thing, even when it is sudden. To loose a parent to a tragic incident is quite another.

Take care, stay safe and may Your God keep You Safe.

Thanks Ray.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

It's times like this that we all need to take the time and tell somebody you love them and that you care. I just hope and pray that each of us remembers how precious those moments with loved ones are. Cherish the quality times and always hug your children and your parents.

Thanks Ray.

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

The world has lost much more than a fireman, we have lost a brother, friend, son, father, husband, and hero. May he Rest In Peace.
    It is my Prayer that God will comfort his family in this great time of loss.

Thanks again Ray.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Got to keep this one at the top..... Hopefully WEBTEAM will have a heart and "sticky" it.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Thumbs up

Ray...Brother, with a capital B.

A tearful thanks from Columbus & 66th.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

OMG...I need to go hug my kids.

That post may just be the best thing Ive ever seen here.

Thank You.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Default Thoughts and prayers

From the brothers of Local 2067 (Oklahoma); our condolences, thoughts, and prayers go out to the families, friends and FDNY brothers that have been affected by the most recent tragedy. May
    God walk with each of you during this time of healing. God Bless

tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

Last night one of my sons had the usual hockey game at the usual rink at the usual time. My son grabbed his gear, we got in the car and took the usual route to rink and made the usual stop at 7Eleven along the way. We traveled on the usual roads and past the usual streets. However, one of the streets we passed off Hempstead Av while traveling southbound through the Village of Malverne made me take a deep breath and pause. The street was Morris Av, home of Lt Meyran and his family. How lucky was I tonight to be doing the usual with one of my sons.

Thankfully, as in the past the FDNY and this Community filled with brothers and friends will be there for the Lt's family.

You know I read the original post several times and chose not to reply because I thought it said enough (that and I couldn't see through my tear blurred eyes to type), but it hit me last night...

I was sitting home and my under a year old daughter has had a chest cold and hasn't been sleeping so well the last few nights because she probably feels like crap, so I spoiled her a little and she was sleeping on me on the couch while I was watching TV. I had decided to call it a night in another 10 minutes when the show I was watching would be over. At that point my pager went off for the possible structure fire.... We have all been there before when you hear those words over the radio and we all know some of the thoughts that start going through our heads... but I tell you what, as I listened to the rest of the details from dispatch and looked down and saw my daughter sleeping on my chest, it was amazing that what came to my mind was the image I had formed in my head while reading Ray's story. Normally, I acknowledge my wife and each child with an "I love you" and "I'll be right back" and off I go, but boy was it tough to put her in her crib last night.

I got the feeling it wasn't lost on my wife either. Usually when I say "I'll be right back" she replies with "yeah sure see you when you get here, be careful" She has always questioned why I say that when I know I'm going to be gone a while. The only response I can give her is that "because saying good-bye is so final" I guess in no such words it's my way of promising them I'll come home.

You don't really think of some of the 'routine' things you do until something like this slaps you in the face. I guess every now and then you need your perspective altered.

Stay safe out there!!

Thread Information