Unhappy

*bump*

RIP Brother!
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

RIP brother
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

^
    Today John will go to his final resting place. Please keep his family in mind.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

District Chief

Thumbs up

Rest in Peace. My shift is on Duty. I think we will observe a moment of silence tonight at 7 PM.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thousands of firefighters attend the funeral for FDNY firefighter John Bellew, 37, in Pearl River, New York. Bellew was was one of three FDNY firefighters killed fighting fires on Jan. 23.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Default Rest in Peace

Gotta love the Blue wave !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

District Chief

Unhappy

09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default TEARS FOR HERO DAD

Ten thousand mourners turned out yesterday for the funeral of firefighter John Bellew. Two hundred of them crammed into tiny St. Margaret Catholic Church in Pearl River. Another 100 filled the church basement and the cafeteria of the adjacent church school.

The rest — most of them brother firefighters in dress blues — braved bitter cold and wicked winds outdoors to stand eight-deep for a half-mile under a 50-foot-wide American flag and honor one of the city's Bravest.

Bellew, a 36-year-old, 10-year FDNY veteran, died jumping from a fourth-floor window in a Bronx building Sunday after he and five other firemen found themselves trapped in an illegally subdivided apartment. Most who converged yesterday on the picturesque hilltop church — Mayor Bloomberg, Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta and Edward Cardinal Egan among them — were there to honor Bellew as a firefighter. But his wife, Eileen, said their four children will remember him as a loving father.

"John proved his strength Sunday as a firefighter, and as a father each and every day of his life," she told mourners as she read from a "letter to God" she wrote after the tragedy. Although he was brave and dedicated to his job, she said, he also was the man "I watched being fed ice chips with the nurses asking if he was OK after I gave birth to our first child."

She recalled that the first thing he taught that child, their daughter Brielle — now 6 — was "how to load and run his coffee machine." When son Jack — now 3 — came along, she said, her husband "made sure he was all rough-and-tumble boy."
    She cried softly as she described how just "a few weeks ago, we took him [Jack] to the firehouse and as he gazed in amazement at the engines — we knew that minute Jack had decided what he wanted to be when he grew up." Their next child, daughter Katreana, now 2, was "our sweetness" after the horror of 9/11, she said. She described their youngest, 5-month-old Kieran, as "a burly footballer who completed the Bellew team." In her letter to God, she wrote that she had tried hard to understand why her husband had to die when he did. "In the end, maybe this job was too big to do from here," she said. "Thank you for letting us have him."
    When she finished, everyone in the Rockland County church stood and applauded.
    Earlier, during a moving eulogy, FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan turned to the grief-wracked widow and said, "I promise you we will keep his memory alive with stories and pictures."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Sleep with angels, John
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Our thoughts and prayers

May the place he has gone be better and brighter than the one he has left and may he continue to look down upon his family.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    NCVFC17

Forum Member

Default Thousands attend firefighters funeral

By SULAIMAN BEG AND GERALD MCKINSTRY
    THE JOURNAL NEWS
    (Original publication: January 28, 2005

PEARL RIVER — Eileen Bellew stood before a packed chapel yesterday and read a letter she wrote to God about her husband and father of four, "the newest angel to join his legion."

She described New York City firefighter John Bellew as a brave man who would run into a burning building to rescue a stranger and a devoted father who made sure their Forest Avenue home was filled with kindness and love.

"He probably figured the best way to take care of his kids was from heaven," she told mourners at St. Margaret's Roman Catholic Church, her voice cracking as she brought many in the audience to tears.

John Bellew, a member of Ladder 27, was one of six firefighters forced to jump from the fourth floor of a burning Bronx building on Sunday. He and another firefighter were killed. Jeffrey Cool of Garnerville, a West Haverstraw volunteer firefighter and who served in FDNY Rescue 3, and four others were seriously injured.

"When you see him, buy him a cup of Starbucks coffee and thank him for giving me the four greatest gifts in the world," added Eileen Bellew, a teacher at Pearl River Middle School.

The nearly three-hour funeral Mass was attended by thousands — including firefighters from as far away as Ontario, Canada — as well as Cardinal Edward Egan, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta. During the service, family members and friends remembered the 37-year-old father of four with lighthearted stories and spirited praise.

It was the first of three funerals in three days for the New York City Fire Department and was among the largest in the mostly blue-collar hamlet since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

As the Bellew children — Briella, 6, Jack, 3, Katreanna, 2, and Kieran, 5 months — sat with their mother and grandparents, Bellew's battalion chief, John Sullivan, tried to banish their mother's fear that they would grow up without memories of their father.

Sullivan had the mourners stand and applaud.

While they may have been separated by brick, stone, pavement and wood, the mourners watching and hearing the service as it was broadcast on East Central Avenue, inside the gymnasium of St. Margaret's School and at a hall under the chapel brought their hands together "so that the kids can see and remember what a hero their daddy was and how much he was loved."

Sullivan, who said he moved to Pearl River after hearing Bellew speak highly of it, told Eileen Bellew and her children that John loved them all deeply and spoke about them always with a twinkle in his eye.

"This is where it gets tough," Sullivan said during the service, fighting back tears as he described a phone call shortly after Bellew was injured. "Eileen, I stood by his side ... and every time you spoke, the monitors jumped. He heard you, and he fought hard to stay with you."

Monsignor John O'Keefe, whose father was a member of the FDNY who died in the line of duty, celebrated the funeral Mass and offered advice to the family on how to heal from such a loss.

"You have to learn to let people help," he said. "You have to let God help. You have a strong family. We will not let him be forgotten, because we are going to talk about him and remember the legacy he leaves."

On Tuesday, Bellow was posthumously promoted to the rank of fire lieutenant, a position he was studying for before he died.

Lt. Craig Crichlow studied with Bellew for the exam and was a probational firefighter under him nine years ago.

"He taught me the ropes and the traditions of the job," Crichlow said afterward, outside the church. "John and I crawled down many hallways together. I knew that he would look after me and that he would make sure I would get back to my family."

Bellew, born April 15, 1967, grew up in Howard Beach, Queens, with his parents, Terence and Marguerite; three brothers, Dan, Terry and Timmy; and a sister, Ellen Brenzel.

The Manhattan College graduate left Brown Brothers Harriman investment bank in New York City to become a firefighter.

"He loved it," Dan Bellew, a retired FDNY member, said during the service. "The excitement. The adventure. The adrenaline rush. The camaraderie, the brotherhood. ... There is an ache deep within me. With time, it will fade. What won't is his memory and his smile."

Thousands of firefighters couldn't fit in the church. Many assembled in the restaurants and pubs along Pearl River's business district to pay tribute.

Although he didn't know Bellew, firefighter Sean DeCrane drove nearly eight hours from Cleveland on Wednesday for the service.

"It's the brotherhood," said DeCrane, standing with members of the FDNY at Murty's Publick House. "The loss affects all of us."

After the Mass, family, friends and busloads of Bellew's firefighting brethren took part in a slow funeral procession to St. Anthony's Cemetery in Nanuet
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

January 29, 2005 -- The New York Post has launched a special Uniformed Firefighters Association fund to help the families of three city firefighters killed and four critically injured in the line of duty. The firefighters died Sunday in two separate blazes, in The Bronx and Brooklyn. The Post has donated $25,000 to the UFA and is encouraging all New Yorkers to contribute. The UFA will manage all facets of the fund. All of the money raised will go to the firefighters' families.
    If you want to help, send a check to the

Heroes Fund, c/o
    Uniformed Firefighters Association
    204 E. 23rd St.
    New York, N.Y. 10010.

Inquiries about the fund can be directed to Sheila Pettit of the UFA at (212) 545-6962.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

ON THE morning before hero firefighter John Bellew crashed to his death while jumping to save himself from a blazing building, he admitted to a little white lie. "Every day before he went to work, I would say to him, 'Be careful and promise you'll come home to me,' " said his wife, Eileen Bellew, through tears. "We kissed and he left the house but he returned 15 minutes later, saying he was waiting for the car to heat up. "Then he said, 'I can't tell a lie, I came back for another kiss. Anything for another kiss.' "
    This was a marriage of constant romance that ended in a frightening inferno and a desperate bid to escape a grisly death.

Last night, Eileen was visited by firefighter Brendan Cawley, 31, who miraculously escaped death after crashing to the pavement. And last night, Cawley remembered his brothers who died in the fall. Brendan spent three private hours with Eileen to give her details of that terrible Sunday morning, Jan. 23, when his colleagues Bellew, 37, of Ladder Co. 27, and Lt. Curtis Meyran, 46, of Battalion 26 died.
    Jeffrey Cool, 37, and Joseph DiBernardo, 34; and Eugene Stolowski, 33, were critically injured. On the same fateful "Black Sunday," Richard Sclafani, 37, died in a fire in Brooklyn.

Eileen was feeding her little 5-month-old, Kieran — one of their four beautiful children — while Brendan talked to her and tried to share the burden of grief. "He was so supportive and like all of them, so brave," she said later. "And it was just wonderful to know that my husband died among professionals who were calm and collected, nothing crazy." Brendan added, "I will do anything for Eileen for as long as I can." Eileen, a schoolteacher, is keenly aware of her family's loss — and what her husband lost in death. "I'm not naive. I know that this, as far as the public goes, will end up a three-day story about a firefighter who has fallen," she said in the basement of her Pearl River home. "What the public doesn't realize, it's not only a man giving up his life, it's a man who has to lose out on four lives, forever. "He lost out on seeing them at their first communion, their graduation, going to school. He lost all his dreams. "His dreams of walking his daughters down the aisle. Who will walk my daughters down the aisle? Will it be a politician who talks about DWIs among firefighters?"
    Her 4-year-old, Jack, came in from an indoor soccer game. "I scored two goals," he said, talking excitedly as he ran around the house with the speed of quicksilver, and Eileen's thoughts turned to the future safety of the brotherhood to which her husband belonged. "I'd like to see the ropes come back for the safety of firefighters," she said. "That way, John and Curtis will still be saving lives." Eileen said she always watched the news when John was on duty and dreaded the words "a breaking story" from the anchor. "Then you would hear it's a fire. My heart would stop," she said. "That's what happened at 9 a.m. that Sunday. Then I heard it was John's firehouse, I was frantic. I called his cellphone 10 times. Nothing. Then I learned he was at the fire. And by 10, I knew. "The feeling of permanency of the loss is starting to hit me," she added. "I was waking up 10 times a night. That meant 10 nightmares. Then I'm waking up five times a night. Only five nightmares. "Already, I can't believe it's been more than a week that I've been without him. I don't know how we've all done it.
    "People will have forgotten about this in a month. But I don't want to hear someone at City Hall talking about firefighter DWIs. Talk about how my husband will never walk his daughters down the aisle."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40