View Poll Results: Internet access in my center is best described as:

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full access, unsupervised

8 36.36%
  • Full access, use review/monitored

9 40.91%
  • Restricted access - only certain programs, sites)

2 9.09%
  • No access

3 13.64%

Thread: Internet Access

dazed and confused

Default Internet Access

Just curious how access to the 'net works in your center.

At my full-time job, we allow pretty much unrestricted access. Certain ports are blocked, so some JAVA applications and streaming media won't work. But other than that, we are allowed World Wide Web access, Instant Messenger, etc. Obviously surfing to inappropriate material is not allowed, and they do check up on it.

At a part-time job, they have pulled internet access from the CAD computers. There is now an "internet terminal" way over in the corner of a room. Personally, I think this is dumb because of the important resources available (online mapping, Anywho, weather, etc) -- not to mention, online alphapaging/SMS text messages and e-mail.

Properly configured hardware and software firewalls, automatic security updates, and robust and current anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-adware software... these are the solution, imho, to enable safe access. I think that these days, net access is a necessity. I think it's even more important the smaller the center is, since these will typically lack advanced CAD mapping, etc.
    Last edited by Resq14; 02-05-2005 at 06:31 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Internet Access

There is NO internet access on any of the CAD Accessable computers.
    We have a stand-alone PC INBETWEEN the two dispathchers, that allows us full access to the net. Due to POPUP"S and people clicking on the "CLICK TO RUN FASTER" ads, we reset it monthly to a restore point.

We also provide a wireless access point inside the building, so if you have a wireless pda or laptop, you can get full access too.

We use Instant Messenger FREQUENTLY with a neighboring dispatch center, to back up voice communications when sending mutual aid or coordinating regional paramedics.

Kevin
    Connecticut

dazed and confused

Default Re: Internet Access

Originally posted by kmacinct
    We use Instant Messenger FREQUENTLY with a neighboring dispatch center, to back up voice communications when sending mutual aid or coordinating regional paramedics.
    Haha, same here.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

we have 2 stand alone PC's between 4 dispatch positions. We use www.emsystem.com for hospital status, so thats the priamry reason for the net. The actual policy is NO internet, but it is relaxed and no one (knock on wood) has gone/done anything inappropriate so we can maintain our relaxed policy. We have been issued a few sites (this is one)that pertain to our job we can view also. Kinda quirky ......for sure.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We have full access on two stand alone PC's. We are not allowed to use IM services of any kind for security reasons. No internet on the consoles themselves.

MembersZone Subscriber

WE HAVE INTERNET ACCESS ATOUR COM CENTER BUT I HAS A GOOD AMOUNT OF BLOCK ON IT BUT WE ARE ALOWED TO PLAY GAMES LIKE ON YAHOO. MOST OF THE DISPATCHER BRING THERE OWN COMPUTERS WITH THEM TO WORK SO THEY USE THERE OWN INTERNET ACCESS FOR AOL AND YAHOO IM'S.

Forum Member

We have pretty much full internet acess. The firewall blocks anything that might be "questionable" and they also block AIM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

We have essentially full internet access at all of our terminals. Our director and IT dept have the ability to review what sites we go to but to my knowledge don't make a routine of it (we keep them busy with plenty of other stuff ) . There is a firewall/spam-blocker that will refuse access to sites it feels have inappropraite content that seems to be a little over zealous. It tends to block more legit sites than it does good.

My comm center does not allow Internet access!

At one time we were allowed acces but one of our rather un-like dispatcher messed it up for ever one else.
    VF - 142 "Ghostriders" last stand in 95'
    You will be missed "Dakota"
    "In squad we trust"
    "Got air will travel"
    In truck we squad!
    I will take my squad over your engine any day of the week

Thread Information