Thread: snoring?

Default snoring?

I work in a small department, about 70. We're 24/48 with 4 stations. Our stations were built in the 60's and 70's so we have a common bunk room. We have a few guys that snore very loudly so I was wondering what(if anything) could be done to make it bearable for the light sleepers. Getting sleep is not a problem for me as long as I can get to sleep first, but some of these guys look terrible in the mornings. This can't be good for someone to loose sleep every 3rd. day. I would be appreciate any suggestions/ideas you folks may have.

MO

Forum Member

this may sound funny but try and use ear plugs . when i was in the same situation but was the one snoring and my engineer would put in ear plugs , only problem is if tones went off at night you just had to make sure he heard them !!

Lightbulb SNORING CONCERN NOT ISSUE

SNORER.

I WORK AS A VOLUNTEER FOR A SMALL DEPARTMENT WITH TRADTIONAL BUNK ROOM. IN OTHERWORDS ITS ONE ROOM WITH MULTIPLE BEDS.
    OUR DEPT. HAS 9 PAID OR SO AND 12 OR SO VOLUNTEERS. A PAID FF HAD A SNORING PROBLEM. OR WE DID I GUESS. ANOTHER PAID FIREFIGHTER WAS HAVING CONCERNS ABOUT THE SNORING. I BELIEVE HE SAID IT WAS THE SOUND OF THE FF CHOKING WHILE HE SNORED.
    I TRULY BELIEVE THE PAID FF STATED HE WAS CONCERNED AND NOT ADDRESSING IT AS AN ISSUE. THE SNORIGN FF WENT TO A DOCTOR. HE CAME BACK WITH MACHINE THAT LOOKED LIKE A TINY SCBA. IT TOOK WATER I THINK. BUT IT ONLY MADE ENOUGH NOISE TO SOUND LIKE A HUMIDIFER.
    EVENTUALLY THIS FF GOT SOME OPERATION THAT WAS BACKED BY OUR DEPT. HE BARELY SNORES. NOW WE HAVE A QUIETER ROOM AND NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE CHOKING.
    TO INFORM YOU. I THINK YOU CAN GO ABOUT AS A CONCERN AND NOT AS A COMPLAINT OR ISSUE. THIS WILL KEEP YOUR GOOD RELATION WITH BROTHERS AND BROTHER SNORER. ALSO IF YOU NEED AND YOUR A PAID UNION FIREFIGHTER CHECK THE BI-LAWS.
    BUT REMEMBER YOU SHARE A BUNK ROOM. BE POLITE ABOUT HIS SNORING. BE POLITE ABOUT YOUR CONCERN. KEEP HIM INFORMED IF YOU ARE GOING TO ADDRESS THIS. AFTERALL HE IS THE ONE WHO MAKES SURE YOU GO HOME AT THE END OF EACH SHIFT.
    GOOD LUCK SLEEPLESS IN SNORVILLE.
    BROTHER KEITH
    Last edited by FIREKEITH1221; 01-25-2005 at 01:42 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ear Plugs - and have the ear plug users take beds near the door or pole hole - that way the other guys can make sure the ear plug users are waking up as they charge past - or give them a shake on the shoulder if they aren't - it's a teamwork thing. We've had to do it before with a FF who slept so deeply that tones and the bunkroom lights coming on didn't wake him up. We'd all get on the rig and be ready to pull out and the officer would say "Where's Bob?" and we'd realise that he was probably still sound asleep - turning on the sirens and standing on the airhorns still wouldn't wake him - he was a really deep sleeper. Giving him a quick shake on the shoulder when the tones went did the trick though.

I know that there is a certain firefighter in a ladder company in lets shall we say a famous department who is notorious for sleeping through tones, to the point that his crew have made up a board with a spinning pointer in the centre which points to different segments on the board - each segment has written in it a different excuse as to why he didn't make the rig - some are hilarious.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

What FireKeith is describing is sleep apnea. My wife suffered with it for some time before she got treatment. It is caused by a blockage of the airway while sleeping. In effect breathing stops for a period of time, sometimes nearly a minute (I know, I timed her). When the lungs finally get oxygen-deprived enough, there is a sudden, gasping intake of air, maybe a couple of snores, then the airway blocks off again. This will be repeated all night.

The negative effect of this (other than keeping the bunkmates awake) is that the sleeper never gets into deep, restful REM sleep, and is deprived of oxygen all night long. They wake up tired and cannot stay awake during the day due to sleep deprivation. I have watched my wife fall asleep in mid-sentence, on the phone, anywhere. She was pretty miserable.

She finally sought help and, after on overnight sleep evaluation at a medical lab, she was given a machine like FireKeith described. It basically forces air into the patient so that the airway is forced to stay open (kind of like ventilating with a BVM). My wife no longer snores. I mean not even a little bit. The very first night she used the machine she woke up feeling 100% better. She will NOT go on an overnight trip now without her machine. (It's very quiet, you really can barely hear it)

If you have observed signs of sleep apnea among your shiftmates (not merely snoring, but real serious breathing interruption for long periods), also signs of sleep deprivation during the day, you might advise them to seek a doctor's advice. Sometimes it can be treated and in most cases insurance will pay for it. Then you can all get some sleep
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

If any of your snorers have sleep apnea,( periods of breathlessness, leading upto the big SNNNOORZZZK sound) they should get it checked out. my uncle died of sleep apnea at 24 years old, perfect health otherwise. its not to be trifled with!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Breathe Right strips or their po' folk equivalent, a strip of EMS tape. The tape is a bit tricky since you have to do it so that the tape pulls the skin on both sides of your nose to the middle, but it works just the same as the BR strips, only much cheaper.

I used to wake up with my ribs hurting from me snoring so loud (wife used to elbow the crap out of me to get me to stop), so I bought them and they worked wonders. No more bruised ribs.

Forum Member

To be honest the quickest way for private sleeping corders is to have a sexeal harasment suit make thim do it. But I think it is a safty hazord to someone being sleep deprived because of snorers keeping thim awake!

Forum Member

If you can get by with it, put a fan in the bedroom. It gives you a "white noise" that can help cover the snoring.

Forum Member

Intubate them.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I had a problem myself with snoring and sleep apnea. I took the drastic measure of having surgery to remove my tonsils, adenoids, uvula, and part of my soft palate. Painful but worth it. Sleep like a king now. I didn't want the bi-pap machine, being that I am only 27, and having to sleep with that the rest of my life. A couple of guys I work with have them and the are a pain in the but for them.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

The fan is a great method. We have several members that snore horribly loud and they bring fans with them at night to drown themselves out. Turn it on high and sleep like a baby.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use things that make a constant "white noise" like box fans or humidifiers. Not only do they drown out the snoring, the noise has an effect on some snorers to make them snore less.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Question

Originally posted by fireflymedic
    To be honest the quickest way for private sleeping corders is to have a sexeal harasment suit make thim do it. But I think it is a safty hazord to someone being sleep deprived because of snorers keeping thim awake!

HUH???????? You have to be kidding!!

Why file a sexual lawsuit? What is that going to do? Many old stations in older fire departments have open sleeping quarters. A partition dividing males from females will work. A permanent wall separation works too, but is costly to the city or the department.

Other than using a bed pillow on the snorers, my suggestion is get ear plugs or adapt, adjust and overcome. Get in bed before the snorers do!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

At one of our stations, we used the lockers to make partitions. We also put a window A/C unit in the bunk room and it always on. At another station, we put up partition walls. The department bought the supplies and we did the work. As for noise, we leave the A/C in the "on" position not "auto" so it runs all night. Works pretty well.

As for the ear plugs, a firefighter at a local department got fired for doing just that. He wasnt well liked, and the other members of his crew "forgot" to wake him up for a call So if you go for ear plugs, make sure you didnt pee in somebodys cornflakes
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Originally posted by fireflymedic
    Sleep deprivation leads not only to safety hazards, but also problems with spelling....

Really? File a sexual harrasment suit to get them to change the sleeping arrangements? Man, you must be well liked around your station....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

The loud snorers on my dept are used to being the target of pillows, boots, shoes, tennis balls, and occasionally harder objects.

The white noise idea also works pretty well. we use a fan or humidifier depending on the season and temperature. At one newer firehouse, the HVAC system makes plenty of racket so most other sounds are drowned out.

"To be honest the quickest way for private sleeping corders is to have a sexeal harasment suit make thim do it."

You must be a real joy to work with. How do you pick the fall guy to take the heat and embarrassment of a sexual harassment charge?
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

Forum Member

Originally posted by dmleblanc

Sleep deprivation leads not only to safety hazards, but also problems with spelling....

Really? File a sexual harrasment suit to get them to change the sleeping arrangements? Man, you must be well liked around your station....
    I didn't say for YOU to sue I said the change will come after the law suit that some women (ok it could be a guy getting harrased) will file down the road, not from you saying you cant sleep, & yes I know of a county got in a suit (& lost) and now county policy is every one have there own sleeping qrt.

Thread Information