MembersZone Subscriber

Question new medic, no fire experience...how do i become a fire/medic

i am currently in the EMSLRC at university of Iowa and i will be a national registered medic in august 2005. I am very interested in working fire as a paramedic but i have absolutely no experience as a firefighter, no certs or anything! i want to know what is the quickest way for me to get that experience, do i need to go back to a community college and take fire science classes or what, i have no idea where to start. im only 22 y/o so i have some time but i would like to get started as quick as i can. please help or give me some sites to look

Forum Member

Default Re: new medic, no fire experience...how do i become a fire/medic

Originally posted by rnjesse01
    i am currently in the EMSLRC at university of Iowa and i will be a national registered medic in august 2005. I am very interested in working fire as a paramedic but i have absolutely no experience as a firefighter, no certs or anything! i want to know what is the quickest way for me to get that experience, do i need to go back to a community college and take fire science classes or what, i have no idea where to start. im only 22 y/o so i have some time but i would like to get started as quick as i can. please help or give me some sites to look
    First join a local Volunteer Department and see if the fireside is your thing. Many Departments will cover the costs of your training and certs. Being a Paramedic already puts you leaps ahead of most of the pack. I am sure others will have better and more indepth advice for you then I.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Find a community college in your area that has a fire academy. Attend the academy to earn your FF1 certificate. With your medic cert, FF1, and volunteer experience, you should be golden.

Rabble rouser

Fairfax County, Virginia is looking for Fire Medics so intently, that recruitment will speed your process when you show them a NREMT-P card. No previous fire training required.

Here is the info: http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/ps/fr/ge...ecruitment.htm

For info not on there, let me know...
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

Jesse,
    Congratulations on completing your paramedic program. That's quite an accomplishment. I would encourage to enroll in fire science courses at the junior college and become involved in a volunteer program.

If possible put yourself through a basic firefighter academy. While earning your paramedic license will greatly assist you, it is imperative that you become educated on the job of a firefighter.

Learn our trade, read magazines, visit fire stations and find out what it takes to get hired on your target department. Lastly, make sure you are in top physical condidtion. Paramedic school has a way of filling out your jeans. Get back in the gym and stay in shape. Good luck!
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of Smoke Your Firefighter Interview and The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-year Plan
    www.smokeyourfirefighterinterv iew.com

Thread Information