Forum Member

Unhappy Watch this video...and wear your BA!

This is a 17 minute long video done by a firefighter in Olympia, WA, who just died of brain cancer. Watch, and think about it.

video link

newspaper article

Forum Member

Great video.
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 11-21-2005 at 05:22 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to Mark and OneL1l this is what we need to hear FIRE
    SERVICE wide and learn from past mistakes.I will be passing
    this along to all FF's I know. Mark rest in peace and know
    that your passing will not be in vain.

Forum Member

Awesome!!!!

A wakeup call to all firefighters who think BA isn't necessary for the small stuff.

Any idea how one can download this? I'd love to send it to a few people.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I think if you right click and hit "Save Target As..." it should save it as a movie file. Good idea too, show it at your next drill/meeting cuase it's the little things that build up overtime that really getcha.

Permanently Removed

Default Wow...

I can not thank you enough for sharing this. You truely are
    a brother.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Great video and message.

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Man...

Great Video. Will make sure this gets passed around.

~

MembersZone Subscriber

Really incredible video. Will be shown at our next training.

To download right click and click "save target as" and save it to wherever.

Sr. Information Officer

Thank you! I just reflected on all those times from 1968 thru the late 70's....being the macho FF, mostly due to pressure from those wise elder statesmen...telling me (and others) that SCBA wasn't needed. We placed ourselves in vehicle fires, residential fires....without the use of air packs. They'd ridicule those of us who pushed for SOP's on SCBA use. I'm sure there are thousands of you out there who experienced the same during that time period.

I wish I had this video...way back then.

Now, I've left the municipal department and fight wildfires. It makes you wonder...what toxins are we subjecting ourselves to. How long before we see some sort of breathing apparatus in forest fires?

Will it be in my lifetime?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Permanently Removed

Default Again...

Awesome video. This guy summed up what I have been
    wanting to say for years. I am burning several CDs and
    sending them out to friends. I am also sending out the
    link to all of the professionals out there.

Note to webteam- Can you please make this a "sticky" post
    at the top of the forums list?

Thanks, Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-26-2005 at 01:17 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Before y'all go bananas, all the right click..Save Target As.. does is save the Windows Media Player Playlist file, which is really just a shortcut that points Media Player to the web server where the video is. It's not actually the video.

This is where owning a nerd (like me) comes in handy. If you watch the video on your computer, Windows will normally cache the file in a Temporary Internet Files folder. You'll just have to do a little digging for it. Odds are this file is close to 20MB is not more, so anything that's in that folder that's that big and shows as a Media Player file, that's the one. Even in here you can double click on it and watch it to make sure. That's the file you want to burn to CDs.

I'm still in mid-video, so if for some reason it does not cache to the hard drive, I'll post back. There may not be a way to get it without buying the tape from the article's link. Of course it requires a donation, but that's a check I'll be happy to cut.

Forum Member

THANKYOU MARK!

I am in the middle of researching and presenting reasons for a ventilation system! This is probably the best source so far. Thank you for having the courage to produce this Mark - rest in peace nowing that your legacy will make changes to the industry!
    Dave

Forum Member

Good video...thanks for posting...

Watching it makes me think of the many times I've personally violated some of those safety practices...and I know better. I am going to do a better job of wearing my SCBA and making sure our point-of-contact diesel exhaust hoses are connected going in and out of the station. They are simple solutions that may save your life.

MembersZone Subscriber

Calffbou

Don't sell yourself short...you have posted this stuff. I don't post much but I look and listen.

I saw the link on the watchdesk site and watched it and it will be a mandatory drill tomorrow.

District Chief

My shift will watch it tomorrow..... I am as guilty of the next about SCBA in the past. Now I always wear it... Juast hope I did not wait until too late.

I have a friend (my very first instructor) that had throat cancer and lost his voice box because of his lack of use of SCBA. All he had was the canister mask or nothing when he started and when SCBA came out...he thought.... "I dont need those things!"

Thanks for sharing.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank You my Friend and Rest in Peace.
    I will share your video among UK Firefighters.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

One1L.......... Thanks for posting this.

Mark, thanks for all you have done. Rest in Peace, Brother.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I hate to be the downer in all of this, but....

He did bring up some excellent points linking stuff together, but the absolute question is how is it supported. I have no doubs at all linking firefighting with higher rates of cancer and death, but to truly be supportive you need to know his sources. Evidence based medicine is the way of life now, make sure you find the medical studies from reputable organizations and research centers to show a connection as well when using this to support vent systems and such.

Go to a major medical center or medical school and talk to the librarians. They'll help you find everything you need to support what you need and what this guy has said. There are some technical glitches with statements he made regarding incorrect cancer types and names that I have a problem with as well, but one never knows the reasoning for such mispoken items.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Excellent video, as soon as I can get it to download, so I can burn it to a cd I will be including it in my firefighter 1 class I am teaching. Anyone figured out how to get it downloaded without going through the whole temporary internet folder??

MembersZone Subscriber

Excellent work. We have passed this on to union Health & Safety in London as we have asked for many years for diesel extraction units for stations.

No fire station in London is equipped with extraction units, because it is deemed not to be a problem.

Hopefully this will add the case for a safer system of work.

Thank you, may you rest in peace.

Thread Information