Forum Member

Unhappy Any NC divorce attorneys out there...

I could sure use some free advice right now. Thanks, be safe.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Pal, Been there before!

Call a attorney in your area. They will give you a free consulation. If you decide to go with them, then you will go on the clock.

Good luck. Smile for us, it isn't all that bad.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you checked under the rocks?

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Best of luck brother. Been there done that. Sometimes it is for the best. My advice is to get a good lawyer who is well versed and will protect you.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Like the others I've been there, done that, and got the debt. As Capt OldTimer says most plaes will offer you a free consultation. Shop around for who charges what and how much. (Even a one paragraph letter can cost $$).

(A ship goes down in the ocean and 6 men, manage to scramble into a lifeboat. After a few days drifting they sight an island but can't get the boat to it. After a discussion they decide to swim for it. Two jump out and are devoured instantly by sharks>. One man finally plucks up the courage to jump over board and manages to swim all the way to the beach as the sharks form a line between them boat and the beach. Two of the men watch this in amazement and turn to the third saying "thats incredible, how did he manage that?" "Easy", says the other, "He's a lawyer, its called professional courtesy" )
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

thanks for the replies thus far....fortunately its a very civil separation, but unfortunately there are 2 lil'boys involved.

MembersZone Subscriber

My advice is, if you want to keep it "civil" don't involve lawyers. Sorry, but once they come in "civil" goes out the window.

See how far you can go in making reasonable accomodations for all concerned then persue it jointly.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Not sure about North Carolina, but child support and related issues just about necessitate a lawyer in Ohio. I've been through this "civil" stuff, and believe me, I learned the smell of bull-**** quite well because of it.

Have visitation spelled out with no "gray" areas, or you're asking for trouble. I thought my ex and I would never have a problem with visitation and there was little detail in the dissolution to allow for some "flexibility". Well, I learned the hard way that the only flexibility needed was for me to bend over and grab my ankles, because I fought with her over visitation for seven years. That little bit of trust caused me an incredible amount of heartache and anger over the years.

If you think you're able to come to agreement on things like pension rights, property issues, and the like, fine, but I would absolutely make sure that every t is crossed and i is dotted when it comes to issues with the kids. Way too much is at stake to not do it right.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information