Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default The Devil went down to Georgia...and they shot him

Man, talk about picking the wrong store to rob.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/26/sto....ap/index.html

Country store becomes shootout site
    Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Posted: 7:38 AM EST (1238 GMT)

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- \When two men walked into a popular country store outside Atlanta, announced a holdup and fired a shot, owners Bobby and Gloria Doster never hesitated. The pair pulled out their own pistols and opened fire.

The armed suspect and his partner were killed. The Dosters won't be charged, according to local officials, because they were acting in self-defense.

"I just started shooting," said Gloria Doster, 56. "I was trying to blow his brains out is what I was trying to do."

Shoats Grocery & Package near Crawford, 70 miles east of Atlanta, is a well-known spot where locals stop for breakfast biscuits or lunch. Gloria Doster said the two men who came there Monday had something else in mind.

She was rearranging boxes of soda by the store's front door when a man wearing a wig walked inside, the fake hair draped in front of his face.

"I asked him, 'Can you see to walk?"' Doster said. Then she noticed a second man behind him wearing a mask. He announced a holdup.

One man grabbed Gloria Doster and pushed her toward the register. She said the other kept his gun on her 62-year-old husband, who also goes by the name Shoats.

She said she tried to open the register, but one of the men told her she wasn't moving fast enough and tried to shoot her husband. He missed -- and his gun jammed.

At that point, Bobby Doster pulled out a .380-caliber handgun and shot one of the suspects. Gloria Doster then went for a 9 mm pistol she keeps near the register.

"All hell broke loose," she said. "I was trying to shoot and dial 911 at the same time."

Both suspects took cover behind the store's meat counter as the Dosters opened fire. Gloria Doster said she doesn't know how many bullets were fired, or how many times the suspects were hit.

Police arrived about five minutes after receiving Gloria Doster's call; the suspects died a short time later at a hospital.

The bloodshed, nevertheless, startled Gloria Doster, who has been around guns all her life, and has used them for target shooting. "But I never figured I'd have to use them on anybody," she said.

She said the worst thing that's happened in the seven years the couple has owned the store was an after-hours break-in by teenagers three years ago. The burglars were promptly arrested.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Exclamation

The store owners will probably be sued for violating the robber’s civil rights!

Serves the robbers right for thinking that they could just walk in a Mom & Pop store and take their hard earned money!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Can you imagine the poor next customer...

***visibly shaking, Rick Moranis-type***

I..I...ummm...I would...like to...RESPECTFULLY...return this...***bag crinkles***..er...milk...I..I. ..think it's out of date...um...maybe...if that's O.K.?
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Exclamation

"All hell broke loose," she said. "I was trying to shoot and dial 911 at the same time."

Gotta have priorities....
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

Default Re: The Devil went down to Georgia...and they shot him

Originally posted by EastKyFF
    "I just started shooting," said Gloria Doster, 56. "I was trying to blow his brains out is what I was trying to do."
    With an attitude like that you KNOW she has been working in a convenience store for a while.

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

Next thing you know the relatives of the dead thieves will sue the gun manufacturer for the gun jamming.

Originally posted by pvfire424
    Next thing you know the relatives of the dead thieves will sue the gun manufacturer for the gun jamming.
    Well it was defective at a point where it was important for it to work.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

StLRes2cue, actually they will get sued for over-use of deadly force.

I was trying to blow his brains out
    is a little different than defending themselves. Some "scumbag" lawyer will probably jump all over this case.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Now thats what I call JUSTICE!

No Lawyer, No expensive trial, no taxpayer expense to keep them in prison. If more people acted in self-defense like this, the crime rate would drop dramatically. I particularly liked this statement.....

The Dosters won't be charged, according to local officials, because they were acting in self-defense.
    Gotta Love it when a scumbag criminal has to reap what he sows....
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

As someone whoe lives in New England, I always thought it was assumed that all store owners in the south were armed to the teeth and you aren't supposed to try and rob them... not because it is illegal, but because there is a high probobility you get a bullet in the ***.

In my opinion, you give up most of you civil rights when you commit a violent crime. After all, you obviously don't mind not having civil rights if you feel it is ok to violate that of another person and kill them. Boo freakin' hoo.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Reminds me about this one....

RENTON, Washington, USA. On February 3, 1990, a Renton, Washington man tried to commit a robbery. This was probably his first attempt, as suggested by the fact that he had no previous record of violent crime, and by his terminally stupid choices as listed below:

1.The target was H&J Leather & Firearms, a gun shop.

2.The shop was full of customers, in a state where a substantial portion of the adult population is licensed to carry concealed handguns in public places.

3.To enter the shop, he had to step around a marked Police patrol car parked at the front door.

4.An officer in uniform was standing next to the counter, having coffee before reporting to duty.

Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a holdup and fired a few wild shots. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, removing him from the gene pool. Several other customers also drew their guns, but didn't fire. No one else was hurt.
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by Ladder8

...his terminally stupid choices...

The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, removing him from the gene pool.

Not sure if this would be a candiate for Darwin or the Bonehead Award. Probably both!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

As someone whoe lives in New England, I always thought it was assumed that all store owners in the south were armed to the teeth and you aren't supposed to try and rob them... not because it is illegal, but because there is a high probobility you get a bullet in the ***.
    As I read it I thought they were lucky to be in the south where if a DA were to even take it to a grand jury, it would get no-billed so fast it would make your head spin.

This should happen more often!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Don't mess with them Southern Folks........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nmfire
    [B]As someone whoe lives in New England, I always thought it was assumed that all store owners in the south were armed to the teeth and you aren't supposed to try and rob them... not because it is illegal, but because there is a high probobility you get a bullet in the ***.

LOL! NMfire. that's a good one!
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

When you goto rob a store and see these two behind the counter, stop yourself.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Everyone has the right to defend themself.

This should happen more often!
    It does happen very regular but you won't hear about it very often on ABC, CBS, NBC, or CNN news. My American Rifleman magazine has a section every month called the Armed Citizen. That's where you usually find stories like this.

"Seeing you don't like the treatment, don't rob the banks."
    John Wayne

"There's nothing wrong with shooting, as long as the right people get shot."
    Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry

So true!
    09.11.01--Never Forgotten
    FTM_PTB

"Darn those pesky flaming mice."

Forum Member

Thumbs up

A firefighter friend of my was squirrel hunting wih a 22 riffle in Rural Eastern Kentucky.His sight location near his home gave him a clear view of his backdoor.

While sitting on the hillside he watched two men break and enter his home.He confronts them at gun point in his front yard, as they loaded their car with his personal items.

He holds the two at gun point.He father-inlaw drives by ,stopped and asked what's the problem.He stated the sons of b----- were robbing my home.His father-law pulled a hand cannon from his jacket.A few minutes past and his brother in-law is passing on a farm tractor.He stops and ask what going on.

Again he states the sons b---- were stealing s--- from my house.He pulls a hand cannon from his jacket.

A neighor driving by whips into the driveway.He steps out of his vehicle and asked whats up!

Again my friend state these two S.O.B.were stealing my s---- from my home.The neighor pulls a gun from his coat.

What funny about this story is no one had to go look for a firearm.

When the Kentucky State Police arrived the thieves almost ran to the trooper to be arrested.

True Story!
    Last edited by coldfront; 05-05-2005 at 12:06 AM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

I'm all for gun-toten' citizens protecting themselves. I just want to make it mandatory that they PRACTICE with the firearms. There is nothing worse than a WOUNDED criminal soaking up tax-payer medical care while in jail. Or worse yet, missing the perp all together and winging ME!

Learn how to shoot before you buy the gun people!
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Thread Information