Forum Member

Question 2005 Grant???? Question

What Subject would a new fire station come under or can you even apply for somthing like that

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not eligible. Only station enhancements like alarm systems, sprinklers, backup generators, or exhaust removal. If you need a whole new building you'll have to wander around US Dept of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Community block grants or rural development grants are the only things I've found that cover buildings. El Paso, TX got a few million from them to build a couple of new stations, renovate a couple more, and buy some apparatus. But unless you're either really rural or really urban, I don't think you can apply. I can't remember the exact population numbers.

MembersZone Subscriber

FireGuy,
    Check out the USDA website

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rhs/cf/brief_cp_grant.htm

They do loans, grants and combinations for buildings (one of the main requirements is less than 20K population)

Good Luck!

District Chief

Thanks Dixie.... We may use this.. We are going to have to build a new station in our recently annexed part of the city.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

We saw a brief overview of their program at the conference I was at this week...they have incredibly low loan rates. You work with your local (regional) office. There's a list of grants given on their website...is alot of $ (more for loans than grants)

You're welcome, of course!

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

There's USDA money available IF you can meet their requirements, most problematic of which is the income levels. They're just increased the dollar amounts and have made a lot of areas ineligible. We were fortunate enough to get a 50k grant for a new truck a couple years ago but we would not be eligible for it now because of the changes. And we are by no means in a rich part of the state. It's worth looking into but don't be surprised if they say "sorry".
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default careful

When considering a USDA loan, be sure to look into what is required. I am referring specifically to the special type of audit. They can end up being very costly especially if your books arn't kept by a very organized accountant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default USDA

We have used USDA Rural Developement funds twice since 2001. jboczek is correct about their funding requirements. In 2001, we were elgible for 55% cost share assistance, in 2004 our elgibility was 15%.

Their elgibility is based upon the median household income of your service area as determined by the cencus count. The 2000 cencus report indicated an a greatly increased median income which eliminated a large percentage of the country and drastically lowered many other's funding levels. As the numbers were realatively consistantnation wide, look for USDA to revise their guidelines, they are in the business of granting & loaning money.

Also, be aware that regardless of your elgibility percentage & project cost, the grant funds will be limited to a set amount with the remainder of their support coming in the form of a loan.

They are very flexable in the types of projects they will fund, however the process is often slow and requires quite a bit of paper work. They are generous in the amount of "in kind contributions" they will accept, but be fully prepared to document and support your numbers.

When you prepare your proposal, it is better to be on the low side. Any costs that are lower than your estimate is deducted from your grant funds (free money).

If you do seek funding from them, I have converted many of their pdf forms to on screen fillable. I will be glad to forward them.

Thread Information