Thread: Calling England

Forum Member

Default Calling England

I need some info from you chaps over the pond in England. I'm doing a paper in class on the Soccer stadium fire in Bradford, England on May 11, 1985. Iíve found a lot of news stories on the BBC web sites and other news web sites but I'm looking for more official info, my problem is do you call them Fire Departments, Fire brigades, Fire Districts... you get the point, also do you have Run Sheets or Call Logs. All I need is pointed in the right direction on the terms you use over there so I know where to look.
    Thanks for your help
    FireMurph

MembersZone Subscriber

send a PM to MartinM of the forums. I'm sure he can help. If not, try Sub16green or paulgrimwood.

EuroFirefighter.com

Tip of the hat to you E229Lt .... take care bro!

Firemurph - the fire was well documented and shown here in the UK on TV, from start to finish! It was a predictable tragedy considering there were so many people piled on top of a bonfire - the wooden stand!

I'll help any way I can Fire4242@aol.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi

You are looking for West Yorkshire Fire Service here is a link.
    http://fp.wyfcda.f9.co.uk/community/...tations/40.htm

There is also a Fire Service Video showing the whole fire from its begining. It is now used as a training video. This was all caught on camera because the game was televised.

From what I remember despite all the staff, supporters and television crews; and the commentator talked all the way through this incident describing in detail the incident no one called the Fire Service.

They tipped themselves out to a running call when they saw the smoke.

Good Luck hope this helps. Also try Steve Dudney on these forums he may be able to give you more help.

District Chief

also try STEVEDUDE... He seems to be quite the historian.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

If I can help with research in any way, just drop me a line.

I remember watching this live on TV on a west saturday afternoon. After this football stadium saftey was really, really tightened up on. Shame that a large number of people had to die before that happened though.

The fire service involved is the West Yorkshire Fire Service. I am not sure if you would be able to get the services attendance report on line, but if you write to them they may supply some further information.
    Last edited by martinm; 01-27-2005 at 02:59 PM.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

You could also try this link which is some media reports of the incident...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fromthearc...4220%2C00.html
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mutual aid from across the pond... you have to love it!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

FireMurph,
    I can get hold of the Official report into the Bradford Fire. The Next time I go to HQ I will pull it and Photcopy it for you.

e-mail me off group dudeneys@ntlworld.com and send me your mailing address.And any other information you may require. There were a number of changes in Fire Safety law that affect the whole of the UK based on this fire.

In Answer to your other question; As far as our organisation goes, we are known as Fire Brigades or to give the new term Fire & Rescue Services. Exactly the same as Fire Departments but a different name.

The other key difference is that apart from the Big City Departments such as London Fire Brigade and Greater Manchester,thta compare with FDNY, LAFD etc, the FD's are organised into 'County' Fire Brigades, isntead of hundreds of Individual Town Fire brigades (as it was before the war) there are 60 odd Bigger Fire brigades covering the whole of the UK

West Yorkshire Fire Brigade covers the City of Bradford where the fire was. Also, you will find West Yorkshire Firefighters among the most active around. Some of their Stations including Bradford have 'Peak Hours' crews running additional Apparatus to cover the incredible amount of Fires happening in their run down Cities. One Station, Gipton in Leeds recorded almost 3000 Actual Fires in a year....pretty good going by anyones standards this side of the 1970's...
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the responses you guys are great.
    All the info has been a great help!

Thanks Again

FireMurph

Thread Information