Tainted kerosene blamed for Rocky Mount fire
Eds: Deletes extraneous N.C. from dateline
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (AP) - A mixture of gasoline and kerosene that
was accidentally sold at a convenience store is responsible for at
least one of four blazes over four days, authorities said.
There also are some indications that the other three fires
stemmed from the contaminated kerosene, said Keith Harris, Rocky
Mount's assistant fire chief.
The Trade Mart on Sunset Avenue sold 850 gallons of tainted
kerosene between Jan. 11 and Jan. 22, Harris said. "During that
time frame, there were four incidents in Rocky Mount that were
related to kerosene heaters, which is unusual," he said.
Store owner Walter Williams said the store has recovered about
60 gallons of the fuel. He attributed the error to the fuel
"You have to realize that a transport may have four or five
compartments," he said. "Apparently when (the driver) hooked up,
he pulled the wrong valve. He was not aware of what he had done."
Discrepancies led the store to call the N.C. Department of
Agriculture for testing, he said.
Of the four fires under scrutiny, one of the victims has a
receipt from a kerosene sale at Trade. Humberto Escobar escaped
injury when his kerosene heater ignited Jan. 18, Harris said.
Escobar wrapped the heater in a blanket and carried it outside,
and the inside of his mobile home sustained minor damage.
Also on Jan. 18, a house sustained heavy damage after a fire
started while occupant James Lee was filling a kerosene heater.
Lee, 50, his 82-year-old mother, Mary Lee, and his girlfriend all
escaped without serious injury, but their house was destroyed.
Although he doesn't have a receipt, Lee told investigators that
he always buys kerosene at the Winoco on Sunset Avenue, Harris
said. Winoco is the previous name of the Trade Mart.
A kerosene heater-related fire two days before at a third home
caused minor damage, Harris said. The resident, Joseph Avent,
extinguished most of the blaze with a garden hose before
firefighters arrived, Harris said.
Avent said he also bought kerosene from the Trade Mart, but he
has no receipt.
In the fourth blaze under investigation, six people escaped a
burning house. One of the occupants, 36-year-old Anthony Williams,
carried the burning heater and a kerosene can outside, but not
before the fire spread to a couch and then other parts of the home.
No one was seriously hurt, but the family was left homeless.
The N.C. Department of Agriculture tested remnants of the
kerosene from the fourth fire and found the fuel was tainted with
gasoline, Harris said. There was not enough remaining kerosene from
the other fires to be tested, he added.
"This is the second time in about a year that something like
this has happened," Harris said. "A similar incident occurred in
Nash County, and we're concerned and taking steps to ensure that
this doesn't happen again.
"We're in contact with the oil distribution companies to see if
anything needs to be changed procedurally so this won't happen
Information from: Rocky Mount Telegram,
(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
01-27-2005, 04:34 AM #1
Important FYI for North Carolina FF'sProudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones
*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
On the web at www.section2wildfire.com
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)