Forum Member

Default Teaching Insurance

I know there is a Training Forum, but this one gets far more exposure...

For anyone out there that is a Certified Fire Service Instructor, do you carry any additional insurance (liability, etc)? A group of us have put together some pretty good training sessions that we would like to take on the road to area departments. We have the interest from the departments who are ready to write us a check to come teach, but one of the guys brought up the liability question.

Our long term goal is to actually form a company out of this which I guess we could then carry business insurance, however until that time how would any of you recommend dealing with the liability aspect?

MembersZone Subscriber

Considering the fact that firefighting is an inherently dangerous business, insurance is probably a good idea. Check with an insurance agent for reccommendations as to type and amount.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Our state instructor's assoc. has a policy through VFIS I believe. It costs us ten dollars a year (part of the dues).

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Start With............

VFIS. I am NOT associated with VFIS, or any of their agents, in any way. But, From what I've learned of them over the years, I'd call them before doing anything else.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

FFTrainer, please keep this thread updated. It's a question I asked a while ago and never got a real good answer. What we currently do is offer our courses via the local training center so we fall under thier insurance. Keeps us covered, but keeps us from charging for them also.

I know 2 different sets of FDNY guys that have done this and will contact them to see what they did for you.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I added liability issurance to my home/rents policy.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

The Keystone Chapter Fire Service Instructors carries liability insurance for all its' members. The coverage includes sexual harressment, polution liability and automobile coverage through VFIS.

We were the first association in the country to offer the insurance as a benefit of membership and worked closely with VFIS to tailor the insurance to our members' needs.

This year they added a few new items to our A&H coverage including any changes needed to our homes or cars due to a disability.

For further information on the insurance policy or membership (open to PA State Fire Instructors only) visit our website at www.keystonefire.org
    Last edited by dragonfyre; 01-27-2005 at 11:44 PM.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

The Keystone Chapter Fire Service Instructor carries liability insurance for all its' members. The coverage includes sexual haressment, polution liability and automobile coverage through VFIS.

We were the first association in the country to offer the insurance as a benefit of membership and worked closely with VFIS to tailor the insurance to our members' needs.

This year they added a few new items to our A&H coverage including any changes needed to our homes or cars due to a disability.

For further information on the insurance policy or membership (open to PA State Fire Instructors only) visit our website at www.keystonefire.org
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Thread Information