Question Select Comfort Sleep Number Beds

Any departments out there using the Select Comfort Sleep Number beds in their firehouses?
    How long have you had them?
    How are they holding up (durability)?
    What are your thoughts on them? Comfort, etc.?

Thanks. We're considering them in our department as all members would theoretically be able to have the firmness/softness that they desire in a bed.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Expensive item. You guys must have a big pot of money that is endless!

We have standard twin beds with box spring and a firm mattress for each bed. The member can furnish their own pillow or use the department issue.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

No endless dollars here

We can actually get a twin sleep number mattress for $275 each. Life expectancy is 30-40 years on original parts. There's no comparison if you replace your standard box spring mattress every 5-10 years as to the amount of money you can save (even if you have to replace a few parts or beds for that matter). My calculations show a savings of about $6000 over 20 years.

But this only good in theory and if the bed isn't going to hold up, etc. this is all moot.

Thanks!

Forum Member

I smell a salesman.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

As my original post mentioned nothing about dollars, value, etc. and simply seeked information, no, I am not a salesman. In fact I've never even seen one of these beds other than on tv. Just researching the bed for my Chief and exploring options.

Forum Member

Originally posted by tstock99
    No endless dollars here

We can actually get a twin sleep number mattress for $275 each. Life expectancy is 30-40 years on original parts. There's no comparison if you replace your standard box spring mattress every 5-10 years as to the amount of money you can save (even if you have to replace a few parts or beds for that matter). My calculations show a savings of about $6000 over 20 years.

But this only good in theory and if the bed isn't going to hold up, etc. this is all moot.

Thanks!

Is this for a large metro fire department or a small one that has few members and may get one or two calls in a 24 hour time frame? I don't think this type of bed would benefit a large department that has as many as 10 plus beds per station and may not even get the chance to get in the bed or at least may get only a couple of hours use per night.

I think you got a salesperson that is very eager to sell these beds to your department.

Yes we may swap out the box spring and mattresses every 8 to 10 years, but unless some very strang happens, the bed frame and those parts seldom get replaced. We finally replaced all the standard hospital style beds about 20 yeas ago after using the bed and frame work for over 30 years or longer.

We will stay with the standard twin bed for our members.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I got one of these beds at my home 2 months ago. My wife and I love it. Each can control our own side. I sleep much bed now then I ever have.

Now I do not understand how you can get then for $275. I paid $2300 for the qeen size. If you are able to get them at that price go for it, the guys will love them. Maybe the thought of the company is that if they get them in the firehouse guys will buy them for home, and they are probably right. You will love the bed.
    B Holmes

Forum Member

Had one Hated it, had a big gap in the middle. Not to mention it rendered the "workbench" unuseable. Bought one of those mattresses that you don't have to turn. At the station however we have the same mattresses and box springs that were original to the department. Still pickin pieces of hay outta them.

Thread Information