Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gloves???

Default Gloves???

I'n a newbie here as you can see this is my 2nd post so I hope I am asking this in the right forum. I just started the academy here in Michigan and I need to invest in a pair of gloves NFPA approved of course and was wondering if anyone has any opinions or info on any of the brands. Also how do these gloves fit? Not sure if there are any golfers on the board but I wear a large golf glove or large batting gloves so would fire gloves fit about the same size. I want to order them online so I won't be able to try them on and just don't want to get them to big. Thanks.

Hansen enterprises sells a good glove made by Firegaurd. The "protector" is the best glove I have seen so far. Additionally there is the Shelby Firewall glove.

Stay clear of the Glove Corp Fireman V, Firefighter VII and those types...the fingers pull out...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Question Re: Gloves???

Originally posted by danmelo
    I'n a newbie here as you can see this is my 2nd post so I hope I am asking this in the right forum. I just started the academy here in Michigan and I need to invest in a pair of gloves NFPA approved of course and was wondering if anyone has any opinions or info on any of the brands. Also how do these gloves fit? Not sure if there are any golfers on the board but I wear a large golf glove or large batting gloves so would fire gloves fit about the same size. I want to order them online so I won't be able to try them on and just don't want to get them to big. Thanks.

Are you or have you been hired by a fire department? If I have read your posts you may be with Detriot. If you are a member, why don't that fire department issue you the protective clothing? Gloves are part of the PPE and should be issured by the department. Our department issures all of our PPE and it is all NFPA approved as well as OSHA and all other agencies having authority on firefighting PPE.

Unless you want buy you own gloves, I failed to see why you would, use what is issue to you. Maybe when you get out of training and start making some bucks, you can invest, buy, some other type (brand) of gloves that fits your fancy. Then you can be a Whacker!!

Bottom line pal, use what the department issures to you. If the Detroit FD wants you to have it they will issure it to you.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

I am not in a dept. I just started the academy 2 weeks ago and I need to buy some gloves as part of my PPE. We are supplied with the coat and pants but we have to buy our own gloves, hood, boots and suspenders.

Question

If you have been hired by a department and have started their fire training academt and if they have issue you turnouts, then they should have issued you gloves too. Something wrong with this picture. I think that I would look else where to work. The next thing is they going to make you buy your scba and truck to ride on to the fire.

Must be a low budget department.

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    If you have been hired by a department and have started their fire training academt and if they have issue you turnouts, then they should have issued you gloves too. Something wrong with this picture. I think that I would look else where to work. The next thing is they going to make you buy your scba and truck to ride on to the fire.

Must be a low budget department.

Seems he has started an independent academy, not a department academy.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

My sincere apologies for not be clearer, I still really don't know about all the avenues of joining an academy through a dept. because the academy I am attending is through an actual college. This college offers an academy as part of the fire technology degree which is an associates degree and this is what I'm taking. I did it this way because from people I had talked to and through the grapevine this academy course is one of the best and most thorough and one of the hardest in the state I didn't even realize Detroit had its own academy which I now understand they do. So this is why I have to purchase some pieces of my PPE. I hope this is a better explanation, sorry for the confusion.

Forum Member

I too went through the fire science program at a local college, but I was a member of a local vfd. There were a few guys who didn't have PPE and weren't members of a department, so the college issued them gear. It all depends on where you go for the training and what resources they have available.
    What's your ultimate goal? If you are going through the academy to get a job on a career department, you really ought to try to save time and money and join a vollie department nearby. They will issue you full turnout (everything) and you'll get some practical experience.
    Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Originally posted by tk1918
    I too went through the fire science program at a local college, but I was a member of a local vfd. There were a few guys who didn't have PPE and weren't members of a department, so the college issued them gear. It all depends on where you go for the training and what resources they have available.
    What's your ultimate goal? If you are going through the academy to get a job on a career department, you really ought to try to save time and money and join a vollie department nearby. They will issue you full turnout (everything) and you'll get some practical experience.
    Let us know if you have anymore questions.
    Very good advice.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thanks for the advice. I'm am so new to this field that I really don't have any idea on how to go about doing things. I don't know anybody who is in this profession so I have no idea even where to begin. I was thinking of volunteering after I finished my FF1 & 2 because I am looking to do this as a career and thought this way I wouldn't have to sit around after finishing these courses I could apply what I have learned to a voly dept. but I didn't think I could do it now. Is it more practical to do this now or should I wait. I still have to take my EMT and Paramedic classes which are a part of this program I am in. Anyways I would like to gain as much experience as possible since I really can't get enough of learning about this profession. I love my classes and only wish I could have quit my current job to speed up the process but then again I need money to survive.

MembersZone Subscriber

Get yourself a decent but inexpensive pair of gloves. You will tear teh you know what out of these gloves thru the academy. then, once you get out, buy what you want. Just make sure they are nfpa approved and fit. Good luck.

Originally posted by captstanm1
    Hansen enterprises sells a good glove made by Firegaurd. The "protector" is the best glove I have seen so far. Additionally there is the Shelby Firewall glove.

Stay clear of the Glove Corp Fireman V, Firefighter VII and those types...the fingers pull out...
    I'll second the Hansen Enterprises gloves... they are a local company and every glove I have worn that is made by them has been outstanding.

My department has issued Shelby gloves, but I like the Hansen's much better.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Cap, I slightly see your point, but you were just an outright *** to that kid.

Nice intoduction to the fire service. If your department is always providing you the best, most comfortable gear and equipment, which I doubt, why don't you send him an application instead of bashing him for wanting the same thing.

DanMelo - I work for the Memphis Fire Department. 2 years ago we were the 8th largest fire department in the country. We have annexed and may have moved up a notch or two since then. The gloves and hood my department buys is crap. Yes it is NFPA certified, but there is certainly better stuff out there, AND I BOUGHT IT.

Hands and ears burn easy brother. Buying your own gloves and hood to save some skin is far from being a whacker.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 01-29-2005 at 01:51 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

thanks for the reply Memphis I appreciate the response. I wasn't really offended by what Capt said since I can see his point too I just didn't do a real good job of explaining my whole scenario.

My sincere apology if I came on too strong to you. I mean no harm. I come from a state that does not have training academies that is done by other, than the fire department. Yes there are colleges that offer fire science courses, but not firefighter 1 or 2. You must belong to an organized fire department to get the training.

In my state if you are hired as a firefighter or on the case on a volunteer department you are voted in, then you must attend the fire training that your department gives. Lt. Kramer, if for some reason you came east and applied and passed all the hurdles and jumped through all the hoops and was hired, you would have to attend the fire training academy in most of the departments in this state. It may not be but for 2 to 3 weeks to see what you know and to get you acclimated with the local departments and local city or county before you are put into a company. If by chance you donít have certifications and training, then you have to attend the whole training academy course. Even then, it is up to the fire chief whether you attend a brief or complete session.

As far as the issuance of firefighting gear (PPE) I know that all fire departments will normally issue NFPA compliant gear. If for some reason you donít like that gear, you may at your own expense purchased your own, providing that the gear (turnout coat and trousers) are the name color, and exceeds the standards of the department. Gloves and hoods likewise must meet or exceed the departmentís standards. Most of the guys here use what is issued to them and keep on getting up.

Danmelo, if you need to buy your own gloves and hood, take a walk into your local telephone yellow pages, under Fire Department Supplies. They are those listed and you may be close enough to one that you can go to their store and see what they have to offer. By all means, try the gloves and or hood one. See how it fits. Donítí get gloves that are too tight. You do want to be able to move your fingers around.

I would send you an application for a job here, but we only take application every two or so years and the last time was this past fall.

Take care and Good Luck!!!

danmelo,

I wish you luck in your acadamy. To help with you post question have you thought of stopping by a local fire station and asking some of the guy/gals there if you could try on a pair of gloves real quick, it should give you an idea on size and while you are there find out what brand they use and see if they like them. From my many,many years of experence there are big differences in gloves. Some brands the fingers do pull out when you take them off, and others get hard as a board after they get wet then dry out and will be very difficult to put back on. I would give you a brand but I have to admit I am not sure what brand I currenty have, my department issues them, I can say they are pretty good they fit well and stay soft after getting wet and the fingers do not pull out. Again welcome to this woderful career and good luck in the job market after you finish the acadamy.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Thank you all for your responses it is great to get some info from all of you. CaptOldTimer no apology needed since I am so new to this field I am not always sure if I explain everything correctly or have all the info and I appreciate you extending me an invite for an application. I've got to get back to studying thanks again for the info.

sorry to hijack your thread but anyone have any tips on drying out your gloves? all ive done so far is throw them in the dryer but christ it takes a long time.

Forum Member

put them infront of a fan. that's the quickest way we dry ours.

MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

Default drying gloves

Cut the bottom out of a plastic cup and insert it into the cuff of the glove. Insert glove in hose dryer, not clothes dryer. Works great!
    Captain/EMT-P

Thread Information