Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Test Test and Test again?????

OK,

I am looking at all of the COD Consortium online applications for Fire Departments in the Chicaog area. In basically all of the requirements, it mentions that you must either be a certified EMT-B, Paramedic or Firefighter II. Do I even bother to test for these since my EMT-B certification won't even happen until summer?

The more I look, the more I realize that I have a ton to cram in before I am 35 years old, and turing 34 in April, I am even more concerned that I have started too late.

Any ideas?

Frustrated in DG.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Dear Frustrated in DG;

In a word, Yes. Test, test, and test again. With each test, you will get more proficient at testing. Some of those places require those certs at time of test, some require at time of hire. That can be a big difference.

Just keep testing.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Here is another question regarding testing. Since i am only 19, I am starting to look into testing in the somewhat near future. These departments that want EMT-B and Firefighter II, if you already have those certs. does that mean they don't send you to IFSI for the acadamy?

MembersZone Subscriber

04, There are some departments that don't require trainning prior to testing. I'll PM you when the dates come out.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Angry EMT-B

Im still tryin to find out when the retake for the EMT-B's is... damn this system and making me take the national...

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Here is another question regarding testing. Since i am only 19, I am starting to look into testing in the somewhat near future. These departments that want EMT-B and Firefighter II, if you already have those certs. does that mean they don't send you to IFSI for the acadamy?
    MT, it depends entirely on the department. When I got hired full-time, the suburban department I worked for sent me to an academy (wasn't FSI, but it was DAMN good). Anyway, they sent me because it was "their policy" to send all new hires to this academy, regardless of past experience. How silly and anal was this? The guy I got hired on with was a six-year POC verteran of this department, and had PUT HIMSELF through this VERY SAME academy four years earlier!

A buddy of mine just got hired at a near-by department, and their policy is to evaluate the candidate before deciding to send them. His probation is over in two months, and there has been no talk of sending him.

Ultimately, who cares? If they send you, you're on the clock. As a good friend of mine once said: "26 X PD = OKAY."

Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Thread Information