Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Permanently Removed

Question Question

I am new to the forums and I have a question about a phrase I routinely see from time to time in here. I am from Iowa, and the phrase seems to be popular amongst those along the East Coast, but I am curious as to its meaning as I have never heard it before now.

So what is a "whacker"?

Talking Whackermania!

A "whacker" is someone who carries their personally purchased portable radio, a scanner and a pager on their belts 24/7, even when they are on vacation a thousand miles away from their district.

A "whacker" is someone who has so many scanner antennaes on their car, it looks like a porcupine.

A "whacker" is somene with enough light bars on their vehicle that an airport can use it as part of the ILS system to land 747's.

A "whacker" is someone who tries to figure out how to hook up a Fed Q siren without having to tow a generator behond the car to power the aforementioned light bars and the Fed Q!

A "whacker" is someone who wears nothing but FD related t-shirts and buys their entire wardrobe out of the Galls catalog.

A "whacker" is someone who carries a complete EMS jump kit and O2 setup in their POV "just in case"... but has no clue as to how to use it!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Whacker

A "Whacker" is someone who will hear a JOB on his aforementioned 9 scanners/pagers and drive 20miles to look at a fire.

Great discription CaptainGonzo. I only had to add one I thought was important!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

May I also add:

1. A whacker makes sure all the rigs are spotless, while his personal vehicle has fleas.

2. Navy BDU's all day, every day.

3. Sneakers with the BDU's.

4. It's a bonus to have three of the bulbs burned out in the blue Jetvector 6000 light bar.

5. Some sort of "animalish musk" is present in the air when they are around.

6. After a storm, whackers are the first to hit the highway looking for those "downed trees and power lines" to call in. It is also important to tie up the repeater as much as possible...especially when someone is responding to an actual emergency.

7. A whacker wears shirts that say "I fight what you fear", but limits himself to traffic control or coffee patrol at structure fires.

8. Was certified in every or any course imaginable "back in the eighties" yet cannot locate any certificates of completion.

9. Rides around with an IAFF sticker on his car that he purchased at some show...has no clue what it means, but it looks cool.

10. Can make every call, yet is always working his security job at the mall during bingo or other fund-raising or non-glory jobs.

11. Drinks coffee while others rack hose.

12. Will sit in the damn station all day "waiting for the big one"...but won't bother emptying the trash or shoveling the snow while he is there.

13. Dreams of performing a daring rescue on a scantily clad woman, thus forming a "blood bond" with her for life.

14. Did I mention he smells like cheese?

15. Gets a kick out of swearing at motorists during traffic control operations.

16. Sets up the 1992 Nissan Sentra with Jetvector 6000, road flares and traffic cones for the department's "Adopt a Highway" litter clean-up day...never does pick up any trash

17. Patrols the streets on "Trick or Treat" night in his POV...to keep the kids safe of course. Screams foul language at fifth graders because they did not look both ways at an intersection. Has to patrol a neighboring town because teenage brothers of the fifth graders splattered the Jetvector with eggs.

I could go on and on and on..........

May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Stayback whats wrong with # 13?????????

E6511

Oh Man! Perfect descriptions Gonzo and Stayback! The Webteam should change the topic heading to "A Whackers Guide" and make it sticky.....good job guys!
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber StLRes2cue's Avatar

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 10:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You hit me hard.

Gonzo,

I am not a whacker....

But you hit me hard about the FD t-shirt. For some reason everyone buys me the shirts. So when I just want a t-shirt to wear Ie at work. I put one on. But as to the rest you hit it on the head.

Oh did anyone mention that they carry a Fire Wire pager all the time.
    Thanks
    DM

MacInnis

I think perhaps what Gonzo means is the individual that wears them to church, job interviews, funerals, on the beach, to banquets, graduation parties, court appearances...etc...etc..etc.

E6511

MembersZone Subscriber Crisb1419's Avatar

Default Whacker

Don't forget the guy that has a Mic tab put on all his FD T-shirts for his radio. And is the first to pick up the radio and respond to every call within 2 secs of the call, even at 3:00am.

Also the guy that wears his FD badge on a belt holder like an FD detective.

Had to add a few. Stay Safe
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

The ultimate wacker is:

Someone who wears navy blue BDUs, a cut-off fire department t-shirt, and a pair of A. Snake-skin cowboy boots or B. Hunting Camoflauged gortex books.

A wacker is anyone whose belt has so many galls gadgets on it to put Batman's utility belt to shame.

A wacker is anyone who wants to drive the engine, despite not knowing how to pump and the fact he gets lost on his way to the end of the parking lot.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Wackers

Funny Funny

I carry a pager because that is how We get Toned out on the
    I carry another because that is how my career dept. gets hold of me
    I Drive an old truck but my engine is spotless
    I wear Firefighting shirts because i am proud of my Dept.
    I have a IAFF sticker in my window because I am a member

Does this make me a Wacker?

Sound to me like this is more of a lets bash Volenteer guys
    True some guys take it way to far. But some have these things because thier dept. requires them. For instance my pagers i am required to have them on 24/7. I work on a career dept. of a city with 50,000 people and on a volenteer department and there is a lot of diffrence between the two, but in the end the job is still the same. Each requires there own tools to carry out the task.

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman.
    Last edited by Fytnfire; 01-28-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Exclamation Re: Wackers

Originally posted by Fytnfire
    Funny Funny

True some guys take it way to far. But some have these things because thier dept. requires them. For instance my pagers i am required to have them on 24/7. I work on a career dept. of a city with 50,000 people and on a volenteer department and there is a lot of diffrence between the two, but in the end the job is still the same. Each requires there own tools to carry out the task.

When I am off - I AM OFF!! No pagers! I don't need the "required to" wear anything I don't care to when I am off.

Bet you got one of those big old bar light for that old truck!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Whacker

Good to know its just a job for you!

As to the light bar. I think they should be for apperatus that serve a perpose on scene. I don't have one.

Default Re: Wackers

Originally posted by Fytnfire
    Funny Funny

Ftnfyr..

You have to lighten up a bit, Bro! Whackers are those who carry it way to far.

Addition to the whacker list...

A whacker can quote the entire script of "Backdraft" verbatim!

A whacker has nicknames like "Bull" and "Axe" on the back of their turnouts.

A whacker will rub soot on his face, even if he was nowhere near the fire when the "troops" were in the attack mode.

A whacker will go spark at a fire and give a "play by play" description as if he were watching the World Series or the Super Bowl!!!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

It's not JUST carrying those items, Fytnfire, it's the whole combination of wacker things.

I carry a department provided portable, but it stays in my glove compartment or in the back seat(depending if I'm in my pick-up or car). I carry a pager, but I keep it on vibrate, instead of having it blare at maximum volume(a wacker trait).

If you're an IAFF member, you can have a sticker. No one will fault you for that

It's just a fun thread, not bashing anyone(unless they feel pangs of guilt after reading the lists!)

Just remember, in thje end, there is a little wacker in everyone. And if they tell you otherwise, they're liars:-D
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber be58d2003's Avatar

Very funny indeed, however... Stayback did post this...

13. Dreams of performing a daring rescue on a scantily clad woman, thus forming a "blood bond" with her for life.
    Let's not forget what is going on with Sacramento, if the media were to get a hold of that... can't even imagine!

Permanently Removed

Talking

HaHa!

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys! I definately know a number of people like that...around here we call them the Amateur Radio Club!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Whackers

I guess you can call me the WackMaster than LOL

Thread Information