Forum Member

Angry Professor Who Called Wtc Victims Nazis To Speak

I will bet this idiot will get the un-royal welcome in New York!!

What a peice of work!!! :-(

'Professor' who calls WTC victims Nazis to speak in N.Y.

Fallen are 'little Eichmanns' who toiled for 'mighty engine of profit'

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOULDER, Colo. - A University of Colorado professor who compared the victims of the World Trade Center attacks to Nazis said he would not back down from the topic in a speech in New York next month.
    Two Colorado congressmen on Thursday said professor Ward Churchill should apologize for his comments, while the brother of a man who died at the World Trade Center called Churchill a "nut case."

CU-Boulder interim Chancellor Phil DiStefano said Churchill's views don't represent the opinions of anyone affiliated with the university but that he had a right to express his opinion.

"While I may personally find his views offensive, I also must support his right as an American citizen to hold and express his views, no matter how repugnant, as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution," DiStefano said in a written statement.

Churchill, chairman of the ethnic studies program at CU, has been invited to speak next month at Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y., where news of his visit has ignited protests.

In "Some People Push Back," a treatise he wrote shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Churchill said the 3,000 people killed in the twin towers weren't innocent victims. He said they worked for "the mighty engine of profit" but chose to ignore their role.

Churchill, an indigenous issues expert, described the World Trade Center victims as "little Eichmanns," a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who carried out Hitler's plan during World War II to exterminate Jews in Europe.

He called Eichmann a technocrat who "crunched numbers" and made the trains that carried Jews to death camps run on time. Churchill said Thursday that those in the Trade Center were technocrats whose work was just as deadly.

Rep. Bob Beauprez, R-Colo., called the comments "outrageous" and urged Churchill to resign. He and Rep. Mark Udall, D-Colo., said Churchill should apologize.

James Giaccone's 42-year-old brother, Joseph, worked for Cantor-Fitzgerald and died in the World Trade Center. Giaccone said he was outraged the college would invite Churchill to speak.

"I'm all for free speech but there has to be some responsibility that goes along with that," said Giaccone, of Long Island. "The college shouldn't be a lightning rod for this kind of a nut case."

Churchill's wife, fellow CU ethnic studies professor Natsu Saito, said her husband is popular with students. She said his statements sometimes make people uncomfortable but also force people to confront truths they would rather ignore.

"He does it because he really cares about all people, and everyone's kids, and their well-being. He has a very big heart, and I think that's what motivates his work. Because he tells the truth in a straightforward way, that is perceived as harsh," Saito said.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Just because someone has the freedom to say what they want, does not make what they say have any truth to it.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 01-28-2005 at 01:40 PM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Smart man for booking his sppech in NYC.

Scheeeeeesh.....this is not going to go well for this man.

Forum Member

wow. talk about an embarrassment to the academic community.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation WHY?

I fail to see how a man who "really cares about all people, and everyone's kids, and their well-being. He has a very big heart," can say these things about the memories 3000 people from several countries and desecrate the memory and legacy of 347 brother firefighters. I fail to see any love or compassion except to brain-washed college students (I know students @ Boulder) and his wife. I am all for our freedoms, but there is no need to go out of your way to offend people. I am also a fan of doing things because you can but some judgement must be used and in this case obviously was not.
    Low staffing sh*t magnet

MembersZone Subscriber

There's a long article about this in the NY Times today. I hope there are hundreds of protesters there to meet this jerk.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just heard on CNN that the appearance by Ward Churchill has been cancelled. There was also some action taken at his home university in Colorado, but I didn't catch that part of it. Nice work, folks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Gov. Owens Letter Calls For Churchill To Step Down
    February 1, 2005

Dear Friends:

We have come to a teaching moment at the University of Colorado. I applaud every person on the University of Colorado campus who has come to speak out against the indecent, insensitive and inappropriate comments and writings of Ward Churchill.

All decent people, whether Republican or Democrat, liberal or conservative, should denounce the views of Ward Churchill. Not only are his writings outrageous and insupportable, they are at odds with the facts of history. The thousands of innocent people -- and innocent they were -- who were murdered on September 11 were murdered by evil cowards Indeed, if anyone could possibly be compared to the evildoers of Nazi Germany, it is the terrorists of the 21st century who have an equally repugnant disregard for innocent human life.

No one wants to infringe on Mr. Churchillís right to express himself. But we are not compelled to accept his pro-terrorist views at state taxpayer subsidy nor under the banner of the University of Colorado. Ward Churchill besmirches the University and the excellent teaching, writing and research of its faculty.

Ideas have consequences, and words have meaning. If there is one lesson that we hope that all Coloradans take from this sad case -- and especially our students -- it is that civility and appropriate conduct are important. Mr. Churchillís views are not simply anti-American. They are at odds with simple decency, and antagonistic to the beliefs and conduct of civilized people around the world. His views are far outside the mainstream of civil discourse and useful academic work.

His resignation as chairman of the Ethnic Studies Department was a good first step. We hope that he will follow this step by resigning his position on the faculty of the University of Colorado.

Sincerely,

Bill Owens
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Ward Churchill
    Professor
    B.A., M.A., Sangaman State University
    Communication

http://www.colorado.edu/EthnicStudie...churchill.html

Feel free to kick the crap out of this guy.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

-Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

MembersZone Subscriber

Disillusioned Subscriber

Ward Churchill has long claimed to be an American Indian and a major mover in the arena involving activism of indiginous people. What is hilarious is the one organization that he claims to have a major role in is AIM (American Indian Movement). They had this to say about Churchill's comments:
    Ward Churchill was scheduled to speak at Hamilton College in Clinton, New York on February 3, 2005. His appearance was canceled by the college after he caused a public furor over his loathsome remarks about the 9-11 tragedy in New York. AIM's Grand Governing Council has been dealing with Churchill's hateful attitude and rip-off of Indian people for years.

The American Indian Movement Grand Governing Council representing the National and International leadership of the American Indian Movement once again is vehemently and emphatically repudiating and condemning the outrageous statements made by academic literary and Indian fraud, Ward Churchill in relationship to the 9-11 tragedy in New York City that claimed thousands of innocent peopleís lives.

Churchillís statement that these people deserved what happened to them, and calling them little Eichmanns, comparing them to Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann, who implemented Adolf Hitlerís plan to exterminate European Jews and others, should be condemned by all.

The sorry part of this is Ward Churchill has fraudulently represented himself as an Indian, and a member of the American Indian Movement, a situation that has lifted him into the position of a lecturer on Indian activism. He has used the American Indian Movementís chapter in Denver to attack the leadership of the official American Indian Movement with his misinformation and propaganda campaigns.

Ward Churchill has been masquerading as an Indian for years behind his dark glasses and beaded headband. He waves around an honorary membership card that at one time was issued to anyone by the Keetoowah Tribe of Oklahoma. Former President Bill Clinton and many others received these cards, but these cards do not qualify the holder a member of any tribe. He has deceitfully and treacherously fooled innocent and naÔve Indian community members in Denver, Colorado, as well as many other people worldwide. Churchill does not represent, nor does he speak on behalf of the American Indian Movement.

New Yorkís Hamilton College Kirklands Project should be aware that in their search for truth and justice, the idea that they have hired a fraud to speak on Indian activism is in itself a betrayal of their goals.

Dennis J. Banks, Ojibwa Nation
    Chairman of the Board
    American Indian Movement

Nee Gon Nway Wee Dung, Ojibwa Nation
    National Executive Director
    American Indian Movement
    From their website:

It must suck to not only be exposed as a moron, but also as an opportunistic fraud as well.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Roger Hitchcock said on Rush's show today that he believes that this guy should be allowed to speak about this every day and in every town in the country. His theory is it would bring the leftist theology and ideology out into the open and expose these US-hating ingrates for what they are. I agree.

Scholar Defiant Amid Furor Over 9/11 Remarks

By Keith Coffman

BOULDER, Colo. (Reuters) - A University of Colorado professor under fire for comparing World Trade Center victims to a Nazi war criminal on Tuesday refused to apologize for his remarks.

"I am not backing off an inch," said Ward Churchill, drawing an ovation from a standing-room-only crowd of about 1,200 students and backers gathered in a ballroom. "I owe no one an apology."

Churchill, who filed a lawsuit earlier in the day after officials at the state-funded university had threatened to cancel his speech, said his central message was that the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks had been provoked by U.S. foreign policy.

"Naturally and inevitably, what you put out will blow back on you and that's what happened," Churchill said.

In his essay, "Some People Push Back," written shortly after Sept. 11, Churchill said the hijackers had mounted "counterattacks" in the face of hostile U.S. policy in the Middle East and a campaign of "genocide" against Iraq through the trade sanctions imposed after the first Gulf War.

In the essay, later revised for a book, Churchill also said that World Trade Center victims could not be seen as innocent, calling them "little Eichmanns," a reference to German World War II criminal Adolf Eichmann.

"True enough, they were civilians of a sort," he wrote. "But innocent? Gimme a break. They formed a technocratic corps at the very heart of America's global financial empire."

'I DON'T WORK FOR BILL OWENS'

Churchill, a veteran Native American activist, first attracted widespread notice last month after Hamilton College in New York canceled a scheduled appearance, citing threats against him and others who had been slated to appear.

The University of Colorado then launched an investigation, a first step toward possibly firing Churchill.

Scholars have rallied to the defense of what they see as the free-speech rights at stake in the case, saying the firing of a tenured professor over unpopular remarks would threaten academic freedoms.

Colorado Gov. Bill Owens, a Republican, has called for Churchill to be dismissed and state lawmakers have passed resolutions denouncing him.

"I do not work for the taxpayers of Colorado, and I don't work for Bill Owens. I work for you," Churchill told the audience.

Churchill has resigned as chairman of the university's ethnic studies department but has threatened to sue the school if he is fired.

Churchill said he felt sorrow for "the firefighters, food service workers, broom pushers and passersby" who died in the Sept. 11 attacks.

But he added that he also felt sorrow for the 500,000 Iraqi children he said had died as a result of the sanctions imposed on that country after the first Gulf War.

And he said he thought his initial published remarks had been deliberately miscast by conservative pundits.

"Nowhere in there did I justify the killing of innocent people," he told Reuters. "Those words are not there."

University administrators reversed course on Tuesday, allowing Churchill's speech to take place after determining students who organized the speech had not received death threats, as one had earlier claimed.

Even so, Churchill's lawyer, Darold Killmer, asked U.S. District Judge Bob Blackburn to grant an injunction that would prevent the university from "further suppression" of Churchill's free speech rights.

Blackburn gave the university until Feb. 24 to respond to that petition.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey steamer...Great Post... I didn't know any of that and it was very interesting. That phony F-Bastard. "Chief No Balls".

Howard Stern had a clip jackass on his radio show this morning and then just ripped him apart. This guy is unbelievable!

Forum Member

I read the CU page on him (well, by him). You'd think they would include some biographical info, not just some essay by him.
    Look at his education. Somehow this guy became the head of the dept of ethnic studies with a masters in communication from some university I haven't even heard of. Somehow he get's the title of 'professor,' which at some universities is only given to people with PhD's. I have a masters degree in an unrelated field. I guess if I write a few essays about one of the ethnic groups I belong to, I can qualify to replace him as the department head.
    This just illustrates some of the problems with universities in this country. Too many of them are paying professors to sit around and lecture and write about obscure topics, while they have graduate assistants teach classes and hand out degrees in whatever subject area someone decides should be a major. Meanwhile, we have to import doctors and engineers from other countries.
    This guy is a prime example why some people refer to that area as the People's Republic of Boulder.

Forum Member

"I do not work for the taxpayers of Colorado, and I don't work for Bill Owens. I work for you," Churchill told the audience.
    Funny, when I watched him speak yesterday, he told the audience of CO students he doesn't work for them either.

Ignore him, he'll go away.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Disillusioned Subscriber

It's now been discovered that not only is Mr. Churchill a fraud and a phony when it comes to his "heritage", it seems he has also been less than truthful about his Vietnam service record.

He is on the record as having said he was a jump qualified Airborne paratrooper in Vietnam, and was on multiple LRRP's looking for North Vietnamese both during and following the Tet Offensive. He also reported that he was often the point man on patrols in the jungle.

Well, it seems he was less than truthful about his military record as well. According to the records obtained through a Fredom of Information Request to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, his sole training was as "jeep" driver and a "projectionist" (he operated film strip and movie projectors). His MOS was a public information specialist, and his job there was to edit the batallion newsletter (that is from his UofC resume). He wasn't even awarded a Combat Infantry Badge. So much for his tales of LRRP's and being point man on patrol.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Maybe he was one of the super secret undercover guys that Kerry dropped off?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Steamer

He is on the record as having said he was a jump qualified Airborne paratrooper in Vietnam, and was on multiple LRRP's looking for North Vietnamese both during and following the Tet Offensive. He also reported that he was often the point man on patrols in the jungle.

Well, it seems he was less than truthful about his military record as well. According to the records obtained through a Fredom of Information Request to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, his sole training was as "jeep" driver and a "projectionist" (he operated film strip and movie projectors). His MOS was a public information specialist, and his job there was to edit the batallion newsletter (that is from his UofC resume). He wasn't even awarded a Combat Infantry Badge. So much for his tales of LRRP's and being point man on patrol.
    You ever notice how everyone who has ever been in the military spins tales of having been in some type of special ops outfit??? This is hilarious to me. So many times I've met someone and after a brief bit of conversation and finding out my background , they start to tell me about how they attended jump or dive school, some specops medical course, SERE school or whatever Idiots. Doesn't everyone now realize what an "old boy" network these jobs are? My background is verifiable. So is theirs. Within a "few" phone calls, regardless of branch, I know if someone is for real, or BSing me. Usually it doesn't even take that. I can weed out most BTDT's within a few of their lies. There are always "little" details of specops training that you can't BS your way through. Because I'm a self proclained @$$hole, I usually don't just let it go... I do my best to humiliate them after I "out" them Anyways... Wade Churchill is one of these idiots. I could care less about free speech and his rights as I've already told you I'm a (see above!). Go ahead Churchill, run your mouth when you're not surrounded by your ubereducated blind schoolchildren. Perhaps you'll be welcomed by some of my stumpjumper undereducated friends from the backwoods of Kentucky, and they'll exercise their freedom of speech. They don't talk much though, they act. My .02
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Thread Information