Forum Member

Default Newbie needs advice.

I'm a brand new firefighter. Extrication is an aspect of my duties that really intrests me. I want to learn as much as possible as quick as possible so that I'll be able to really get in there on the extrication scenes. I'm looking for some tips, advice/suggestions, and learning material. I still have a few more months of paramedic school so I can't take any extrication classes right now. So short of classes what can I do to start learning about it?

Forum Member

What state are you in? I know that Pennsylvania, for example, will allow you to take the State Fire Academy/Department of Health Vehicle Extrication Technician level class(40 hours) without any prior medical background.

Otherwise, just get in on in-house extrication trainings and see if they'll give you a sort of 'in house certification' to get active on accident scenes?
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

I'm in Florida. I have medical training.......I jsut don't have much hands on time with the tools or knowledge of procedures/techniques. Any good books?......I don't have time for any more classes for now.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Ron Moore has a really good book on extrication. Also Holmatro has one as well, though I know nothing about that one.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the problems of many Rescue manuals is they teach how to do certain cuts, and how to use the tools, but they don't discuss how to make decisions on what is the best way out for the patient and then what cuts to use to achieve this. So have a look at www.neann.com/vet.pdf This link goes to freely downloadable on-line 70 page (4 mg) manual which discusses patient removal techniques that have been well tested and the vehicle cutting techniques that can be used to assist in making space for the patient removal.

Forum Member

There are a few sources out there:

Ron Moore's book
    The CarBusters Video Series
    Your local or state Fire Academy
    Senior Members of your department

Also try doing a search online there are a few pretty good internet sites for Auto Extrication
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

I'll second the recommendation of our Moderator's book. I have both editions of it and refer to it often. The J. Steven Kidd/John D. Czajkowski "A Training Manual VEHICLE EXRICATION" is a decent book, but it is starting to get out of date. IFSTA has a decent book as well, "Principles of VEHICLE EXTRICATION".

I have seen both Holmotro books... the only problem I have with them is that the vehicle design manual is expensive and both can only be obtained through a Holmotro dealer. Since we don't have a dealer nearby and my department uses Phoenix tools, I have yet to get my hands on either of them for my library.

And in case you have noticed, you have found one of the best places around to ask questions and to learn from others experiences. Take some time to look through the archives of this forum. I am sure you will find a lot of information that will aid you in your endeavors.

Good luck and welcome to the club!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Here is an idea. Since you are in Fla. Get your butt over to Palm Harbor, near Tampa, from March 16th to the 20th. The Palm Harbor crew will be hosting the South East Regional TERC challenge. There is no way that anyone can watch a well groomed team work and not learn something new. I have been a part of these events for over 10 years and I still learn at every one. They are also running classes during the comps for non-competitors. Go to WWW.TERC.Org for more info. I can promise you that it will be well worth your time. I'll be there.... Look me up.
    Zmag

Forum Member

I'll second Zmag's statement. Make every attempt to attend a sanctioned TERC event. Its well worth every minute.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Forum Member

I'll try and see if I can make it there for one day.
    I'm in an accelerated paramedic program (3rd semester) and a probie, so my plate is pretty full right now.

Forum Member

Training, Training, and more training. From either attending sanctioned events as stated earlier and just watching, to participating hands-on at the fire academy, or at the station. With the new cars out there along with the old reliables, some of the techniques have changed. Do not be afraid to try something outside the box.

Another suggestion is to acquire vehicle extrication book from IFSTA. This might be available through your fire academy. I know that you can buy it directly from IFSTA

Forum Member

Originally posted by Safety33

Another suggestion is to acquire vehicle extrication book from IFSTA. This might be available through your fire academy. I know that you can buy it directly from IFSTA
    Gee... why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?

Just to keep on course here folks, this member told us he is BUSY so he (she) does not have time to attend training sessions at the moment. Once he finishes paramedic training, I am sure he'll be attending training (if he is still interested)... what he is looking for now are other places he can gain some exposure until the time comes that he can attend classes.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information