FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Other FDNY News...

'Mayday!'
    Friday, January 28th, 2005 -- Even as they mourned their fallen brothers, four of the city's Bravest got a shocking reminder of the dangers of their job last night when a Brooklyn building collapsed on them. A chilling "Mayday! Mayday!" sounded from the firefighters' radios about 6:30 p.m. when a 20-by-80-foot brick wall fell on them as they battled a blaze from a driveway.
    "The whole wall collapsed on the guys. It was all brick and flame," said Eddie Antar, 31, a nearby restaurant owner who witnessed the collapse. "I thought it was fatal for at least a few of them. It was terrible."
    But unlike Sunday, when three of their courageous brethren lost their lives, all four firefighters managed to escape last night's scare in Sheepshead Bay.
    Two of the men were removed on stretchers from the rubble of the two-story home being built on E. 23rd St. between Avenues U and T. The others staggered away on their own, officials said.
    The most seriously injured firefighter was Ed Henry Jr., whose brother, Firefighter Joseph Henry, of Ladder Co. 21, died in the 9/11 calamity.
    Ed Henry, whose father is retired fire Chief Ed Henry Sr., was being treated at Lutheran Medical Center for bumps, bruises and a possible fractured leg, officials said.
    "When I heard about it, I just lost it," said a firefighter who rushed to the hospital from the Rockland County funeral of Firefighter John Bellew.
    "He's all right. He's talking," the firefighter said of Henry, a member of Ladder Co. 276. The injured man's wife and parents were at his side last night.
    The other firefighters, whose names were not immediately released, were being treated for minor injuries at Coney Island Hospital, officials said.They were manning hoses in the building's driveway when the south wall buckled and sent bricks raining down on them, Deputy Chief Richard Howe said."Thank God, they were only minor injuries. We've been taking a beating," said Howe - referring to Sunday's Bronx fire that killed Bellew and Lt. Curtis Meyran, and a Brooklyn blaze the same day that took Firefighter Richard Sclafani's life.
    The cause of yesterday's blaze, which began in the basement, was under investigation.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Whatever they're paying you guys, it's not enough.
    Please be careful and prayers for the fallen.

Forum Member

Default WHEW !!!!!!!!

Thank God they are not injured badly and let us continue to bless the families of the fallen.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I saw this article on FH.com home page and my stomach dropped. Thankfully they are all doing OK
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I saw this article on FH.com home page and my stomach dropped. Thankfully they are all doing OK
    Same here - I thought "Oh No, NOT AGAIN"
    Thankfully it sounds like none of the injuries will have a long term impact. Get well quickly Brothers.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunatly one of the members is reported to have a broken back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by E229Lt
    Unfortunatly one of the members is reported to have a broken back.
    Damnit - I hadn't seen that in the reports You guys can't pull a trick at the moment. Here's hoping for a successful recovery for all the Brothers involved.
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 01-29-2005 at 04:19 AM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default THE SURVIVORS

By STEVE DUNLEAVY
    FIREFIGHTER Joey DiBernardo said with horrifying recall: "When I hit the ground, I felt my body was full of broken glass. "I knew I'd be banged up. But broken glass inside you. Weird feeling." Near him on that terrible Black Sunday, 32 days ago, was Lt. Curt Meyran, a giant heart of a man who would have no pain again. Heaven had open arms for him, and his three kids have problems accepting the Almighty right now. Not too far away, John Bellew perished. God needed a few good men that day.
    Brendan Cawley was a miraculous survivor after a giant 50-foot plunge from that blazing building on East 178th Street in The Bronx. Another colleague, Gene Stolowski, was shattered unimaginably. But he's gonna make it. Jeff Cool, Joey D.'s partner, was crumpled; but he's going to make it, too. "It was a routine fire that became a disaster in 10 seconds," said Joey. DiBernardo was on the eighth floor of the Cornell Medical Center and having difficulty talking. His was a labored rasp about which one of his ball-busting friends commented: "You're trying out for Godfather IV, right?" Joey D. is saying (can you believe it?), "I'm sorry about the accident. I think I did ask someone what floor I fell from." Sorry? For living to save people? These firefighters. I mean what can you say about them and their bravery?
    "When he sees the pictures of the guys that didn't make it, he cries," said Joey D.'s father, Joe DiBernardo II, a firefighter for 35 years, 21 of them as a chief. "It's always in the back of his mind." At Cornell yesterday, there was another roller-coaster ride for young Joey: His temperature zoomed to 102. He survived the fall, then suddenly he was battling respiratory failure. He survived that and the operations. Now he's battling fever. "He's going to survive that," said Chief Joey D. II. Joey III and Joey II flashed two thumbs up, but Joey III realizes it won't be all right unless someone gets him to the church on time.
    His sister Carolyn is getting married to Lance Lovejoy on Sept. 9 and Joey's determined to be there.
    "Joey was saying to me he was sorry if he screwed up anything," said Lovejoy. "And here he is laying in bed worrying about his sister's wedding." You can bet on it. And there's another Joey D., Joey D. I. He's the grandpa who told his grandson that there were people who read about our stories and sent him some Omaha Steaks. Joey III says, "I take the fall, and Grandpa eats steaks. Grandpa, please."
    Joey's family refuses to allow depression to take over and uses humor as a weapon against sadness, an antidote to pain, and a roadmap to survival. "He has 10 plates in him to hold him together," says Chief Joey. "I told him he has more plates in him than a Chinese restaurant."
    I mean, these guys
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *