Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NIMS compliance

Forum Member
    Poland, right next to Russia, Town that is.

Question NIMS compliance

So after reviewing the powerpoint presentation on the 2005 guidance I am curious as to what they mean with NIMS compliance? I know of NIMS, and have taken the IS700 course online, however if I read the implementation schedule it pertains to the state level first. Being from NY I have a suspiscion that NY may not be up to speed yet and being there is no guidance template for local gov't yet listed how do we become a NIMS department?

Now I have also read that their are over 500 points or items that one must adhere to too become compliant, is this true? And if so what are they and where can I find them? So far I have taken the 700 course and reviewed the new definitions for NIMS but havn't seen much else.

If anyone has info please help to inform me.

Forum Member

The 2005 guidance hasn't been posted yet. Where did you find a powerpoint presentation?
    Curious!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It's on the firegrantsupport.com web site. I posted about it a couple of days ago. It holds most of the family jewels about the program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NIMS

What exactly is NIMS and how does a department become compliant?

Forum Member

Default NIMS

Information on compliance with the National Incident Management System (NIMS) is located on the FEMA site in a PowerPoint presentation.

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/nims/nims_co...ies_fy2005.pdf

It's getting harder and harder for us volunteers to come up with the time to meet more and more requirements. Maybe the SAFER grants can replace us with paid personnel.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NIMCAST

Information on NIMS is also available in a downloadable PDF file at www.fema.gov/nimcast. It is noted as a draft version but I suspect it will be very close to the end result. Lots of Q and A regarding your jurisdictions involvement in the ICS system as NIMS sees it.
    I got your back

Forum Member
    Poland, right next to Russia, Town that is.

Lightbulb NIMCAST

Well since no one replied to my question for several days I went looking and low and behold they posted the NIMCAST on FEMA. So I downloaded it and four hours later and a headache I realized we need to pay the chief. Simply put it,s ICS on steroids and to become compliant means a number of SOP changes, training in the IS700 course for your members and strict adherence to the ICS program at all calls on the paperwork end. Now while I'm sure that paid departments have the manpower to produce the volumes of paperwork required, us professional vollies don't have that luxury. So if we can't come into compliance during the grant application or period, do we mark no or fib?

Well anyways thanks for responding and good luck to all!

P.S. All vollies are professionals, at least those that try.

Forum Member

I'm not seeing anywhere in writing that we have to take all levels of the NIMS training online. Do we just take the IS700 or the higher levels too?

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

The subject came up at our grant workshop. We were told that ALL active members had to have NIMS training, that is the IS700 course, and pass the test. COMMAND STAFF must have Unified Command training. Don't know how far down the line Command Staff is, but I need to find out. This is before any department can receive funding.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Thanks Jack. Let me know what else you find out if you don't mind. I'd appreciate it.

You have until July 2006 to comply with and adopt NIMS.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Command staff I would venture to guess would be any officer expected to take command. Career departments, probably only to the ranking station officer (Captain most places I believe), but then again since LTs sometimes fill in, guess to be safe make it all officers. Volunteer? Heck, since I stepped down from being Captain I've been in the officer's seat of the truck more than not, and if they were actually burning I'd have been command on 6 scenes. Guess it would depend on your own SOPs and who can call command, or be part of the command staff.

Looks like since 2006 is the cutoff, it won't really matter much for this year, all of the awards will have been given out. Odds are you'll need it to not violate the post-award rules, like keeping the budget items the same and whatnot.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been informed by a reliable person at IFSI that for FY 2005 grants, "command staff" needs to be trained in Unified Command. Command Staff is left up to the local dept. to determine who could be in charge of a scene. Those persons would need the training this year. ALL staff needs to have a certificate in IS700.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

These are right from the 80 page NIMS Introduction (IS-700) It is a self study course with a final test that will get you a certificate from NFA/EMI for IS-700

IS-700 Self Study Course

[quote]On February 28, 2003, President Bush issued Homeland Security
    Presidential Directive–5. HSPD–5 directed the Secretary of Homeland
    Security to develop and administer a National Incident Management
    System. NIMS provides a consistent nationwide template to enable all
    government, private-sector, and nongovernmental organizations to work
    together during domestic incidents.
    What Is NIMS? NIMS is a comprehensive, national approach to incident management that is applicable at all jurisdictional levels and across functional disciplines.
    The intent of NIMS is to:
    > Be applicable across a full spectrum of potential incidents and
    hazard scenarios, regardless of size or complexity.
    > Improve coordination and cooperation between public and private
    entities in a variety of domestic incident management activities.
    NIMS Compliance HSPD-5 requires Federal departments and agencies to make the adoption of NIMS by State and local organizations a condition for Federal preparedness assistance (grants, contracts, and other activities) by FY 2005.
    Jurisdictions can comply in the short term by adopting the Incident Command System. Other aspects of NIMS require additional
    development and refinement to enable compliance at a future date.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Talking

been there done that and now waiting on my certificate from FEMA. suppose to be here within 7-to 10 business days. Anyone else took theirs and received the certificate?

MembersZone Subscriber

Been to the "Unified Command" class today. Didn't learn much.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Originally posted by BC79er
    It's on the firegrantsupport.com web site. I posted about it a couple of days ago. It holds most of the family jewels about the program.
    I cant find it. It says the 2005 has not been published?
    Unless your talking about the "PowerPoint" workshop presentation? It has been released.
    Last edited by zoom40; 02-06-2005 at 09:20 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy More NIMS info

Went to IFSI (Illinois Fire Service)winter fire school over the weekend for Unified Command. They said everyone on the dept must take (IS700) anyone that might be in charge at any time must take Unified Command. That includes the 8hr class, a table top drill class, and another test. On top of that your city fathers, public works people, law enforcement, and even your local school officals must also have Unified Command to complete the process. I also agree that when you get done with all the have to classes you don't have time for firefighter training.

MembersZone Subscriber

What has anybody else gotten out of the Unified Command class? Our 8 hour class was over in 5 and it was basically just a review of ICS. I could have read the slides from the PPT and done just as good (or better). This is one IFSI class that I gave a poor review on.
    I understand the "public official" class is only 2 hours. I think the tabletop exercise is coming next year. No use rushing into this whole thing at one time.
    We did get this great 3 ring binder with "everything we ever wanted to know" in it.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

We did get this great 3 ring binder with "everything we ever wanted to know" in it.
    Hey Jack - when you get a chance, can you look up how Ben Affleck is able to keep getting acting jobs AND bag Jennifer Garner? Enquiring minds want to know...

Thread Information