MembersZone Subscriber

Default Poor Decision

Out of respect this post has been deleted
    Last edited by KCFireguy; 01-31-2005 at 12:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

To put it bluntly, do not worry about the other guys, worry about yourself.

Forum Member

Default Re: What would U do!

Originally posted by KCFireguy
    I recently started the academy and really am excited to prove myself.
    There is a problem going on, that is really bothering me. We took a practice c-pat and many of my classmates were unable to finish. We even had 2 guys leave for the hospital! The word has already spread through the department and is making us all look like crap.

The thing that really ticks me off is some of the guys who failed, and one of the guys who left for the hospital spend every break smoking (still after the failure)!!! Then yesterday during our scheduled workout the smoking-failer spent the whole time talking and didn't lift a finger. I am not close enough to feel comfortable approaching them, cause I just want to fly under the radar. I just feel these guys aren't either mature enough or don't love the job like I do. What would you guys do in this situation? It might save me some enamel on my teeth if I could get this fixed.
    Where are the instructors? They are the ones who should be dealing with the deadbeats.

Those who cannot perform academically or in the drillyard doing evolutions will eventually be weeded out.

Look after yourself and don't worry about what the next guy /gal is doing!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

worry about yourself and learn as much as you can !

prove your self once you get in a station !people will be able to tell who the screw ups were once you actualy start working.

MembersZone Subscriber

Work in with the ones who are putting in - to help each other - each of you will have different strengths and weaknesses, and will be able to help each other out over the course of the training. And the instructors will see signs of teamwork, which is something they should be looking for.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Permanently Removed

Default 2 cents...

#1. Right now, you might just have to focus on #1, you.

#2. This might help for everyone in the academy-

TORRANCE FIRE DEPARTMENT

SUCCESSFULLY SURVIVING YOUR RECRUIT TRAINING

The following guidelines will help you be a successful recruit on the Torrance Fire Department. Many of you have various levels of experience and training which will be valuable to the Torrance Fire Department in the near future. But as a recruit (new employee), your probationary period will be much more pleasant if you can demonstrate patience in displaying your talents and skill until you’ve learned what we want you to know.

BEHAVIOR GUIDELINES FOR THE TRAINING TOWER

1. Do ask questions if you do not understand.
    2. Do take every opportunity to help to help one another develop into a team.
    3. The “Double Time Trot” is accepted mode of transportation from one place to another while outdoors.
    4. Tardiness or unexpected absenteeism will not be tolerated in the fire service, period. Better to be a hour early than a minute late.
    5. Arriving for duty unprepared will demonstrate the qualities necessary for a new career elsewhere.
    6. A lack of aggressiveness in manipulative work will shorten your basic training period significantly.
    7. Disregard for safety will get you canned.
    8. Standing with your hands in your pockets will raise questions about your respect for authority and your level of attention.
    9. Profanity and/or spitting on the ground will get you a job with someone else.
    10. If it doesn’t move, clean it. If it does move, address it as “Sir”.
    11. Don’t attempt to socialize with regular members of the department during the basic training period.
    12. Show respect for all co-workers at all times.
    13. Hustle, shine and always look good.

Forum Member

Agreed with all of the above....

Worry about yourself. The instructors are there to weed out the others. Keep company with other achievers without drawing attention to yourself. Do not make waves about the slackers, that's not your job or your problem. Academy justice pretty much always works itself out in the end.

Forum Member

#1 Focus academically and physically.
    #2 Keep your mouth shut and listen.
    #3 Work on your cardio training.

P.S. Yes, the word has spread.

Thread Information