Post Chauffers-Operators-Chief's Aids

Anyone With Infomation,

I am looking for information on department's who still use Chief's drivers. Below is a list of the top 20 largest cities in the Nation. If you have information on these departments reliable or not, I would appreciate it.

Forth worth Tx
    Milwaukee, Wis
    Baltimore, Md
    Memphis, Tenn
    Austin, Tx
    Columbus, Ohio
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Indianapolis, Ind.
    San Jose, Ca.
    Detroit, Mich
    Dallas, Tx
    San Antonio, Tx
    San Diego, ca.
    Phoenix, Az
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Houston, Tx
    Chicago, Ill
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    New York, NY

Thank You

Forum Member

The Los Angeles Fire Department uses Firefighter drivers known as "Staff Assistants" for all field Divisions and all field Battalions.

Brian
    Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Forum Member

what kind of information are you looking for in particular??

Forum Member

Memphis lost buggy boys years and years and years ago!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

I believe Detroit lost theirs some time ago. In fact, I don't believe there is any career dept. in Michigan that has drivers for the BC. Beverly Hills, CA had one when I was there some time ago-not bad for a small dept.

Sorry about that, I guess I should have been a little more specific.

I am looking to see what department's (of the 20 largest) still use Chief drivers. These chauffers, operators, assistants provide eyes and ears on the fire ground, as well as staff functions to their Battalion / Division Chief's and get the Officers to the scene safely. I work for the San Jose Fire Department in California, Our Battalion Chief's (like many others) are forced to look at maps, read mobile data screens, GPS and make informed discisions while still enroute to emergencies. The fact remains they are provided with distractions in their vehicles which makes driving difficult.

Last year we had a Battalion Chief's vehicle end up on its side while responding to an emergency. This raises the issue again. We all know the issues with driving and cellular phones. Do we expect to much from a Chief?

Thanks for you help

MembersZone Subscriber

Indianapolis still uses drivers for the battalion chiefs. They are usually assigned safety officer on incidents until the real safety officer arrives. They help the chief with day to day stuff too. Some chiefs need it more than others!

MembersZone Subscriber

Those may be the 20 largest cities in America but the DCFD with close to 2,000 members is larger than several in your list. We have gone from a F/F-Technician driving our Battalion and Deputy Chiefs to a Sergeant now doing the task. The Sergeant handles most of administrative tasks and has a valuable place in the incident management system as the chiefs stay in their buggy. Between those ranks, during tougher fiscal times, our Chiefs were driving themselves. A serious accident while a chief attempted to drive, monitor several frequencies, call for additional resources and other critical tasks solidified the return of "Aides in the buggy."

Forum Member

Default Chicago

No buggy drivers for the Battalion Chiefs anymore. The Deputy District Chiefs are the highest ranking 24 hour shift people and they still have drivers. The CFD sends a commnand/communication van on working fires, serious incidents etc.. I may be missing something so, if a CFD'er is looking at this post thread please correct me if I am missing something.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Toledo Ohio ...........BC's drive themselves.........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I believe that Boston and Worcester still have aides for their district chiefs.

It is an imortant position, as the D/C as the ICcan't be everywhere at once... their aides are their "extended eyes and ears" and can keep them abreast of changes on the sides of the building other than those facing the command post.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Volunteers Too.......................

Although I don't have a Driver/Aide assigned as such, quite often I will have another person with me to act as an Aide. The luxury of an organization where there are qualified people who can jump in and fill a position that is often looked upon as a "Frill" in other places. Nothing against the younger set, but the older folks tend to have a better grip, and can institute things on the Chief's behalf, quicker, and with less direction.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Re: Volunteers Too.......................

Originally posted by hwoods
    Although I don't have a Driver/Aide assigned as such, quite often I will have another person with me to act as an Aide. The luxury of an organization where there are qualified people who can jump in and fill a position that is often looked upon as a "Frill" in other places. Nothing against the younger set, but the older folks tend to have a better grip, and can institute things on the Chief's behalf, quicker, and with less direction.
    And would that be Mrs. Harve Woods? LOL
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

dazed and confused

So THAT's why the trucks are yellow...

..so she could sneak up onto a scene unnoticed in the school bus to take command!

God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

The Kansas City FD has them. A driver/operator/chauffer used to drive only BC's, in 1997, the department promoted to fill the buggies with captains to drive the chief. They were designated the 'District Safety Officer' or DSO. They completed training so that we have a safety officer on all multiple apparatus responses.

This did three things.
    1) Kept a 'driver' in the buggy which the city wanted to get rid of.
    2) Promoted 21 drivers to the captain level.
    3) Placed a safety officer on almost every scene.

At a fire scene, the DSO becomes the interior command with the attack companies.

KC is about 1/2 million in population with over 1000 members.

Why does it have to be one of the 20 largest instead of a working model?

MembersZone Subscriber

Although not in the USA Toronto is a city with 2.5 million people. District(battalion) Chiefs have drivers but we call them F.I.T.s(fireground incedent technician)they assist the district and do paperwork and such.

Forum Member

i know its not on the list, but here in jackson, ms we did away with district cheif's drivers about 10 years ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

In the FDNY every Chief has an aide. Battalion, Deputys, Boro Commanders etc. He handles driving, manpower and other administrative matters for the chief as well as numerous fireground matters, communications, documentation...etc.

I seem to remember Seattle a few years back lost the aides and then lost 3 brothers in a fire in which a report noted the lack of an aide was partially blame for the confusion at the fireground. Shortly thereafter they got them back.

An aide is a critical postion that must be filled. Any city without them is not doing all it can for its FD.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Battalion Chiefs in Columbus, Ohio drive themselves.

Forum Member

District Officers (Majors) in Lex. Ky drive themselves. If a "rider" is assigned, comes from a fire company, dropping staffing from 4 to 3.
    250,000 population, 500 FD members.

Forum Member

Default Chief's Drivers

Dallas Tx, There are Batt. Chief's and Deputy Chief's on Shift work. These Chiefs still have a Driver assigned to them. There duties include alot of "paperwork", they also assist the Chief in I.C. duties at working incidents. I have a brother who started driving a Batt. Chief, when his Chief made Deputy he asked him to come with him. He did and over the last 5 years he has learned an entire careers worth of knowledge regarding I.C. and effective running of an Incident as well as dealing with day to day issues that occur around the firehouse. When these Chief Drivers make officers they are usually very good officers because they have been doing alot of the work for years before while driving the Chief. I only wish I had the chance to get the type of "Officer Development" training he has recieved before I made Station Captain.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The FDNY aides are a mixed group, the Battalion Chiefs are driven by a "battalion firefighter" this is a full duty postition, often filled by guys with injuries that can be full duty but are not quite ready to be back on the fire floor, and by guys ducking fire duty.
    The Division aide can be a light duty or full duty firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in St. Louis we no longer have Chauffers on the Chiefs Buggy.

HOWEVER

In Kansas City, Mo. they have Captains drive the Chief to all alarms. Once on scene the Chief performs his IC duties and the Captain becomes the scene safety officer. Interesting Idea.

Any KC guys out there that can add any additional information to this?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah, Right..............

Originally posted by Resq14
    So THAT's why the trucks are yellow...

..so she could sneak up onto a scene unnoticed in the school bus to take command!

Funny you should mention that. A School bus is a great tool to have around, They are great places to put residents fleeing a Fire, or for Rehab. However, one of those who is with me in the Buggy sometimes is a retired Career Officer, who enjoys being able to do something, without going inside with a line. And yes, Mrs HW is there on occasion. After all, Chief's Aides need to know how the Chief takes his Coffee.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information