Thread: Mini-Pumpers

Default Mini-Pumpers

We recently recieved a grant to buy a Mini-Pumper. The problem is we specified in the grant app " 4 x 4....and carry a minimum of 400 gallons of water" We had in mind a F-550 chasis. Now we have found out that most companies won't put the 400g's on a 550 chasis. What other options are out there in 4x4 that can handle the 400g's.

Forum Member

go to the apparatus mfg. links, find those who mfg. mini-pumpers, and give them a call. They'll know what is available.

MembersZone Subscriber

Central States built us a rescue/brush truck, holds 400g, 15g foam, all of our rescue tools, couple are packs, 2 cascade bottles. Yea its at the weight limit with firefighters on board.

Forum Member

We have a 4WD KME F550 mini-pumper w/ a 500gal tank, 1000gpm Hale Pump. I guess you would call it a small engine... It is a multi-purpose truck, wild fires, off road structure fires, water supply; it's the perfect truck for a rural/wilderness area!

Forum Member

hey blue, let's see some pictures of the beast!

Forum Member

Originally posted by blueeighty88
    We have a 4WD KME F550 mini-pumper w/ a 500gal tank, 1000gpm Hale Pump. I guess you would call it a small engine... It is a multi-purpose truck, wild fires, off road structure fires, water supply; it's the perfect truck for a rural/wilderness area!
    that thing has to be overweight.......... Our 2WD f-550 is maxed out with it's 300 gallons and 500 gpm pump........ 2WD chassis has GVW of ~19K, 4WD is less than that, I believe.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

And back on topic, ther are medium duty chassis's that are available as 4x4......... International, I believe does, I think GMC and Ford 650 & 750 do, to name a couple......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

While I love mini-pumpers and think they can be extremly useful on the fireground ... they need to be designed with a very limited scope of purpose or else you will run into the problem being identified in this post.... too much weight.

Have you thought about maybe reducing the tank size or taking off some of the equipment? That may be a better option than trying to squeeze all that weight onto a barely adequate chassis and then dealing with all the handling and weight related maintanence problems waiting for ya down the road. If you still want to carry all the weight, maybe you should think about a 4x4 meduim-duty truck chassis. You may lose some off road ability (thought I doubt a mini-p that size will be all that good off-road anyway) but you will greatly reduce the handling and maintanence issues.

Just my thoughts.

makes good girls go bad

Pierce made a rescue pumper/squad for Cape Canaveral Fire-Rescue. You should try to contact them for info
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Default Re: Mini-Pumpers

Is it just me, or does 1000 gpm/500 tank seem a bit large for a "mini-pumper"? Thats what FDNY's engines carry isnt it? The only ones I have ever seen are like 300-400 gpm with 200 gallon tanks on like an F350 cab. Even a 400 gallon tank seems more "engine" like too me...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Big Mini's

Although rare in the US Fire Service, you should look into a Mitsubishi FUSO cab-over (or GMC ir Isizu) chasis. They can come with heavier GVW's, factory 4X4 and crew cabs. Go to www.fdnytrucks.com , then go to "Special Units", then click on "Edgewater Park VFD Bronx." They have a 4X2 Isuzu 500/200 crew cab engine that may be similar to what you need.
    Low staffing sh*t magnet

Thread Information