MembersZone Subscriber

Question Battery operated spreaders

I am just looking for a few pros and cons on battery operated spreaders from any departments that have them. Most importantly would you recomend them over hydraulic ones.

MembersZone Subscriber

I played with the hurst one recently and found it is considerably heavier than the standard road runner tools, possibly weighs as much as the 32b spreader. Also the handle's in the wrong spot. the holmatro with the dewalt battery is a nice tool, don't buy any of them unless they bring one to you and let you use it. They need the sale more than you need the tool.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default a little off subject, but.....

Don't have any exp. using battery operated tools, but my department uses air actuated hydraulic (air over hydraulic) Hurst combo tool. We like it . It works as good as straight hyd. but does use a lot of air. Main reason for purchase was price, less equipment to maintain, and less manpower to bring out equip. on a scene.

I have talked to local dealer about th battery tools, and he said they are a fair tool, IF, you have a hot battery.

Forum Member

We have had a discussion on these in the University of Extrication forum here at Firehouse.com. To my knowledge, the only true battety powered tool is the Powerhawk Tool which I have not had the chance to work with. The Hurst and Holmotro tools (and I think Genesis now has one as well) are actually hydraulic tools with a battery powered hydraulic pump. I have also not used any of these, but as I recall form the discussion thread, the general feeling was that they would do the job, but everyone felt a dedicated hydraulic system was superior.

Do a search here and see if you can find that discussion. You will probably find more answers there.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 01-31-2005 at 08:24 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Battery powered anything diminishes over time. I would stick with good ole motor powered stuff.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just my opinion, but these are best suited for the trunks of command cars, and something to take alone in an ambulance, knowing that it won't do that "monster" job

Forum Member

Our department has several power hawk extrication tools. First and foremost...they are NOT a good replacement for hydraulic tools throughout the department...they can, however, be a nice supplement so long as you maintain some heavy hydraulic tools as well.

Pros:
    Weigh less.
    They are ready to use...you pull the tool out of the compartment and you can start cutting or spreading.
    If the power pack starts to get low you can hook up to any car battery...our BC car has an adapter that sticks out of the grill and is ready for "plug-and-play" so to speak.
    Storage space is less.
    They are real quiet, so communication is easier.

Cons:
    Not as powerful as our hydraulic tools...this is the biggest drawback.
    Tends to be slow...the time you make up by quick deployment ability would be lost if you had much cutting or spreading to do.
    The tips aren't difficult to change, but can be a headache.
    Spreader doesn't have the opening span of our hydraulic tools.

Bottom line for me...the PowerHawks are handy on an engine or truck that wouldn't otherwise have extrication tools. They are nice for the occassional door or hood pop. They are not good for a major extrication...door or roof removals...pushing the dash...etc...

http://www.powerhawk.com/pages/4prod.htm
    Last edited by kayakking; 01-31-2005 at 05:32 PM.

Thread Information