MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boston Globe story by Bill Dedman

I think he has all the right information, about his stories. And in most cases I agree with him. I only have one problem, and its with the 911 system, I no for a fact that any city or town where the police departments run the system, that calls to the FIRE DEPARTMENTS are either slow or late in coming, in alot of cases. In my city, that I work in we have a new problem, and that is police cars trying to get to building fires before we do. Why, because they get the call the same time we do through the computor system. The other day my department responed to a two and one response (two engines one truck with DC) for a building fire upon arrival of first due company, two PD cars on scene wave Fire Department off. Tell them it was food on the stove, NO, we did in fact stopped and investigated it(food on the stove call). Try telling a cop at a hold up the bad guys got away, and he would tell you to get across the street and mind your own business. The town I now live sends PD cars to building fires to check it out, the town I lived in years ago Marshfield Ma. asked the PD to check a building fire and they didn't send fire almost lost lives. Anybody that monitors fire and police no exactly what I am talking about. And the beat goes on. And I am going to write a book when retire its going to be called "If they don't call,we don't go".

dazed and confused

Default Re: Boston Globe story by Bill Dedman

Originally posted by BFD11867
    The other day my department responed to a two and one response (two engines one truck with DC) for a building fire upon arrival of first due company, two PD cars on scene wave Fire Department off. Tell them it was food on the stove, NO, we did in fact stopped and investigated it(food on the stove call). Try telling a cop at a hold up the bad guys got away, and he would tell you to get across the street and mind your own business. The town I now live sends PD cars to building fires to check it out, the town I lived in years ago Marshfield Ma. asked the PD to check a building fire and they didn't send fire almost lost lives. Anybody that monitors fire and police no exactly what I am talking about. And the beat goes on. And I am going to write a book when retire its going to be called "If they don't call,we don't go".
    We have the same problem. Wearing both the hat of police officer and firefighter, I try to preach mutual respect and professionalism: firefighter's shouldn't be telling police how to do their job, and police shouldn't be telling firefighters how to do theirs. Once you start playing that game, it's a very slippery slope indeed.

It also kills motivation and participation in a paid/call department, when we're constantly "cancelled by pd." Many people don't see it as a problem, but I think it's a very real problem, and potentially dangerous like you stated.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information