Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the info Brothers...I hope this stays away from previous Quint discussions that turned into wars on here.

We will be making one of these types of rigs our AFG application for 2005. All other tips, suggestions, hints and problems encountered are appreciated.

My department has never had any type of aerial apparatus so this would be a big step for us. If we do go this route, the rig will definitely be doing truck work on the fireground and leave the engine work to our first out engine and auto aid companies.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

One thing that is often overlooked: Tank size. If you want to run it as a primary engine company, I'd go MAXIMUM of 500 gallons, and be hesitant to do that. For most quints, I recommend the minimum NFPA requierd tank size(300 gal I do believe). Anything bigger jacks the weight WAAAY up and will give you suspension, transmission, and brake problems. A neighboring department has a quint and has some of the following problems(and forgive me if I repeat FFFred's info):

1)The truck they speced was 3-4 feet longer than the truck they demoed, and they didn't consider that. Too big to fit in the engine bay(where it was supposed to) necessitating equipment switching between stations and an odd set-up.

2)750 gal tank. The tank size really increased the weight of the truck. She rides really rough. And the tank doesn't get much use, since the truck wasn't a dedicated attack unit anyway.

3)Carries 1,000' of 4", all well and good. Except the hose is split into two beds on each side of the truck in 500' increments. They actually have to turn the aerial perpendicular to the truck(or elevate the aerial) to reload the hose. Go with a 'side stacker' with all 1,000' on the passenger side in a low hose bed(Only example I can think of off the top of my head is Quint 1 from Birmingham, Ala. FD.)

4)It's a horse in the agonal state, I know. But get a 100' stick. Plain and simple. Unless a grain silo is the tallest structure in your township, and will be for the next 15-20 year lifetime of the truck, then a 75' is fine. The company whose quint I'm describing? It's a 75'. They're a very large residential township. The quint makes every storefront perfectly: because they can sit 10-20 feet away. I've watched them try to make a rescue from the fourth floor of their high school and come up short. Setbacks will kill, at the least, your reputation when you miss something that was easily made with a 100', ESPECIALLY if a 100' comes and makes the throw. At the worst, it can kill firefighters or victims if you come up short at a critical moment. If you get a 100' and come up short, you know you at least did everything you could.

Don't waste your money, and buy something that you'll use. DEMO DEMO DEMO as many units as you can get your hands on from varying manufacturers, and varying units from the same manufacture. And make sure they build you what you want.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

I second his thoughts on the tank size. 500 is standard for an attack peice, 750 is pushing it and 350 would be good if you don't plan on the ladder seing much Engine action. Also keep in mind if you spec a deck gun on your ladder any sort of 'blitz' operation that you may be invloved in.

I rode with a company that ran a well set up quint. I also ride with a company with one of the best traditional ladder trucks. It takes alot to spec a good quint but I still feel that you lose out on some things in the process. The reason I feel my department doesn't need a quint is the fact that all three stations have an engine that would all be on working fires. I wouldn't be against the quint, but feel it doesn't fit us.

If you ask me the most important thing that a truck co. needs is ground ladders. The same fire I was at that the 75ft truck feel short that same fire it feel short on ground ladders. Don't sell yourself short you'll regret it for 10 years.

Let me also say again...No to 75ft!
    Bucks County, PA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hose bed

I have to disagree with the sidestacker idea. Yes, it is true you have to move the aerial out of the bed to repack the hose, but for the amount that your going to realistically be laying feeder lines its no big deal. Spec large enough chutes and the hose sits just ahead of the turntable. Typically this space is not useful for much else. That will give you some shallow high sides perfect for flat tools and smaller appliances. Our current quint carries a lot of lightweiht 3" up there and it feeds out just fine. The new quint on order is going to have a split bed of 1000' 4" and 600' of 3". As long as you have large smooth chutes there won't be a problem.

As for tank size 350 is kind of small depending on when your first friend comes to supply you with water. We never really had a big problem with it, but 500 is a little more comforting. A good foam system will help stretch a limited tank size to some extent.

Ground ladders arn't a big problem unless you are looking at an engine with an aerial on top. Most have a pretty bid tourque box that fit a large complement, but based on the original post, this doesn't seem like it would be a big issue.

Tandem, need it. Big heavy truck needs to stop.

Many manufacturers are offering independant front susupensions or other suspensions in the 45 degree cramp range, turning shouldn't be a big deal.
    Go with the wheel well compartments for the air bottles, and a hydraulic generator to save on valuable compartment space.

A 75 footer doesn't get you that far when you start factoring in a lot of things. You might be able to hit what you want when your practicing, but try it when there is a reported fire and you have to reach over a police car and what not. For the most part, the 100 footers arn't a much longer truck as bizzare as that seems.

BTW the "old" quint is a 1990 100foot with 1500gpm/350gal tandem 37'long with a 239" wheel base. The one on order is a 105 foot 2000 gpm/500 gal 30 gal A, just about 40' with a 241" wheel base.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Manning Issues

We have two. One is a 75' E-One and the other is a 75' Quality on a Spartan Chassis. Both are set up as engines with extrication. Our extrication consists of a Phoenix tool pump and a combi tool. Additional spreaders and rams are carried on our ladder.

What manning levels are any departmens using on the quints? (3-4-5) In going to a quint concept, were there any problems that surfaced that was unforeseen? How did it help your departments?
    Last edited by salisbury; 01-06-2006 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Additional Info

MembersZone Subscriber

Default american lafrance

a neighboring dept. just got a 75ft quint and premounted their rescue tools on it, i think the quint business is going to take off for smaller cities, under 5,000 people. due to low budget, but need for quints, we are tossing the idea around for our next one to replace our first out pumper with a quint.
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Thread Information