Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 75' Quint Question

Some people on my volunteer department are tossing around the idea of replacing a 1980 engine and 1980 heavy rescue with a quint apparatus. We're wondering if the E-One HP 75 or Pierce 75 MD on a Dash chassis or similar sized single rear axle quint would have the compartment space for truck, engine and extrication tools.

Does anyone here run a 75' Quint with extrication equipment?
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

These guys run 2 75' E1's I believe first out. I know they have extrication equipment but I'm not sure how much. Pretty busy combo department, if you call I know the Chief would help out with your questions.

www.mountlaurelfire.com

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default Re: 75' Quint Question

Originally posted by WTFD10
    Some people on my volunteer department are tossing around the idea of replacing a 1980 engine and 1980 heavy rescue with a quint apparatus. We're wondering if the E-One HP 75 or Pierce 75 MD on a Dash chassis or similar sized single rear axle quint would have the compartment space for truck, engine and extrication tools.

Does anyone here run a 75' Quint with extrication equipment?
    We have a 2002 Pierce Dash 75HD quint and it carries full extrication equipment including air bags and struts, along with full truck, basic engine, hi angle, water rescue and advanced life support equipment. Along with a 1500 gpm pump, 500 gallons of water, 40 gallons of foam, 1000 5" LDH and assorted 3", 2 1/2" and 1 3/4" lines.

The apparatus is 37.5' long with a wheelbase of 226" on a tandem rear axle. Stay away from the single rear, too much weight for a single set of rear brakes. Our last quint (1988 Pierce 75) had a single rear and we went through brakes like crazy. With the new 45 deg. cramp angles on the front you lose nothing by going with a tandem. Our new quint out turns the old one!
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Moe, how about a 1978 Pierce/International 50' Squrt, with 2 door cab, no room for truck equipment or extrication equipment???
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Red face I can say that !

the only thing that could make it better if it was a KME !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Default Re: I can say that !

Originally posted by Weruj1
    the only thing that could make it better if it was a KME !
    I better not go there........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: here are some more Moe ...........

Oops I only searched in the Apparatus forum...thanks brother
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Moe ............it is all good my Brother .......you are Da'man !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Moe, how about a 1978 Pierce/International 50' Squrt, with 2 door cab, no room for truck equipment or extrication equipment???
    Hmmm...could we ride the tailboard?
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: 75' Quint Question

Dave got any pics of this rig that show the compartments?

Originally posted by Dave1983

We have a 2002 Pierce Dash 75HD quint and it carries full extrication equipment including air bags and struts, along with full truck, basic engine, hi angle, water rescue and advanced life support equipment. Along with a 1500 gpm pump, 500 gallons of water, 40 gallons of foam, 1000 5" LDH and assorted 3", 2 1/2" and 1 3/4" lines.

The apparatus is 37.5' long with a wheelbase of 226" on a tandem rear axle. Stay away from the single rear, too much weight for a single set of rear brakes. Our last quint (1988 Pierce 75) had a single rear and we went through brakes like crazy. With the new 45 deg. cramp angles on the front you lose nothing by going with a tandem. Our new quint out turns the old one!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

No! No! No!

1st off I'm not totally sold on the quint consept in the first place. Its great for many but for others its just not necessary. Keeping that in mind having an Engine-Ladder-Rescue is just trying to do to much at the same time. Yes, so you have some MVA tools on the ladder, but what ladder tools are you not carrying? We think hey the ladder truck body is big so lets combine everything on it. Whatever happend to having the truck but cause being a truck company requires alot. Think about the quint, but don't combine anything more.

Also, there was a good artical in Fire Eng I think about how a 75ft stick is a crap idea. I saw first had at the fire before last a 75ft stick fall short of the task we needed it for and because of that we had to move trucks around just to get another in there. I personally wouldn't have wanted to be from that department and had to do that. Spend the money and get a 100+ unless your running in farm country.
    Bucks County, PA.

I'm with Dave on the Tandem, unless you get a tandem, make sure it comes with a parachute or anchor to stop it.
    As for the tandem with a 75' why bother, just get a 100' aerial for minimal expense you have a more versatile tool.
    The quint rescue thing sounds good if you are in a department with low manpower and you want this to be the workhorse but remember if you do everything with that one apparatus you will also greatly shorten it's career so plan accordingly. Let us know how it works out.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've posted at length on the use of 75ft quints and how my experinece with them was nothing short of disasterous.

I also agree that if you don't get a tandem axle you will wear out the brakes, chasis and frame much sooner. The rig will be overloaded way past its legal weight. FDs always have the habit of overloading every rig they have.

Here are some problems we had with ours,

-Ladder too short.
    -Brakes
    -transmissions(multiple replacements)
    -intergrated electrical generator and pump caused problems.
    -Slower than mollases in January
    -Guys always wanted to do Engine Work. Poor Truck skills.
    -**** poor Hose layout options. Hosebeds too high or in inconvient placements. Limited options.
    -**** poor Truck tool layout as hose had to be moved or the tail board had to be used to get ladders, hooks etc out. Taking too much time.
    -Operational issues with reverse hose lays and use of aerial.
    -Need for more chauffeurs/operators to operate two functions (pump and ladder) This meant there was a rig with pump and perhaps ladder that wasn't being utilized.
    -required that the 35ft ladder be a 3 section ladder. I personally feel that 3 section ladders should be banned as they are much more difficult to deploy then a compareable 2 section
    -Limited on size of saw to be carried since compartments were smaller due to quint layout.
    -Pump speed governed the speed at which the aerial will operate. Dnagerous to postion and use when flowing water.

If you are going with a tandem axle as jfTL41 said go with the 100ft stick...it really won't cost much more and you'll appricate it later.
    We found many times the 75ft. won't reach much if you have set backs. Only in a very dense urban area with minimal set backs will a 75 ft stick work.

And please if you have to have a prepiped waterway. Please get it pinable...don't go cheap! It will render the ladder almost useless as it is very dangerous to use when you can't place it to a roof or parapet.

FTM-PTB

Default Re: Re: Re: 75' Quint Question

Originally posted by WTFD10
    Dave got any pics of this rig that show the compartments?

What's your e-mail?

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Some great points from FFFRED ( as usuall), but let me touch on a few.

No, quints are not for everyone. But in the right situation, they can be very usefull. As for 75' vs 100', same thing. Depends on your area. For us a 75' is fine. We can reach what we need too, and what we cant you cant reach with a 100' anyway.

The hose bed is not as "handy" as what you find on an engine. But its workable. We use 5" LDH so reverse lays are not an issue. And we only lay hose with the quint in very rare situations. And we have the same ammount of smaller lines as our engines, so we dont loss anything there.

As for the pump speed controling the speed of the ladder, we had the same problem with our old quint. The new quints aerial runs independant of the pump, as does the hydraulic generator. And knock on wood, weve never had any transmission problems, and our old quint had 114K miles on it when we sold it.

Ladders, we carry the NFPA minimum requirement. And yes, we have a 2 section 35". Its all in the desingn of the apparatus as to what you can carry. We spent several years on the specifications for our new quint. We looked at many quints both in person and drawings. And we learned from the mistakes of our old quint.

As far as trucks doing truck work and engines doing engine work, thats how we do it as well. If the quint is assingned as a truck, then it does truck work. Just because it has a pump doesnt change anything. All it means is that if we need to flow the ladder pipe, we dont have to use an engine to do it.

And for the small area around the station where the quint is housed, it can act as an engine if first in. In that case, a crew from one of are other units handles the truck work with the equipment from the quint.

We can do that since we are a smaller department. Its easy for us to have everyone crosstrained on all the apparatus. And we do A LOT of training.

So if you do decide to go with a quint, please take the time to do it right. Its a big investment and requires tons of work to make sure you get a rig that will do the job for your area. And once you do get it, train, train and train again

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 75' Quint Question

Originally posted by Dave1983

What's your e-mail?
    I don't want to post it in the open...just use the link below my post here.

Thanks Brother
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Done

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

From what I understand and I could be wrong but NFPA min. on Truck ground ladders is something like 110ft. Thats just about 1-35 2-28 1-14 and 1-10ft. I hardly see that has useful on a truck company. There is an engine in my county that runs 110ft of ground ladders. A pump is a great asset to the truck when used right but alot of the time its more of a hinderance to the truck and its opperations as a whole.
    Bucks County, PA.

From what I understand and I could be wrong but NFPA min. on Truck ground ladders is something like 110ft. Thats just about 1-35 2-28 1-14 and 1-10ft. I hardly see that has useful on a truck company.
    We carry a 35' extension, 24' extension, 16' roof, 14' roof and a 10' attic on our quint. In addition to the quint, we get 3 engines on structure fires, each with a 24' or 35' extension, a 14' or 16' roof and 10' attic ladder. My maths not the best, but that looks like 5 extension ladders, 5 roof ladders and 4 attic ladders on scene. Sounds like enough ground ladders to me

A pump is a great asset to the truck when used right but alot of the time its more of a hinderance to the truck and its opperations as a whole.
    All due respect brother, but I just dont get that. I would think that not having a pump would be a hinderance. Limits your options. Then again, Ive been "raised" on quints, and only have limited experiance with a "straight truck". When I started we had a 1954 ALF 100' tiller Fun to drive, but a pain to set up the ladder pipe. And they only thing you could do with it was ladder a building. You needed an engine to put the wet stuff on the red stuff.

Guess I would have to walk a mile in your boots to better understand the "straight truck" concept

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Thread Information