Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Fire Dept physicals

Hi, I new to this forum, so be gentle.
    What standard should we follow NFPA 1582 which states annual physicals? The reason I am asking is our other town fire house is using this NVFC Health and Wellness Guide, In this guide on page 36 under Annual Medical Exam they (NVFC) states the NFPA 1582 recommends, I never read the words "recommend" in the NFPA. In the same paragraph it states that the NFPA gives age groups for physicals. such as age over 40 every year, 30-30 every two years and so on. Where in NFPA 1582 does it state this? I read the whole thing and never found anything. What should we follow?
    thanks for your help
    denkopf

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 1582

Denkopf...I, too, have heard of the age standard, but couldn't find it anywhere in the online versions of 1582. I'll check my copy at the station and see if it is any different.

In addition to this, I'm adding to Denkopf's post and requesting what type of physicals departments have out there. Our's is basically a "turn-and-cough" and "finger wave" physical that really doesn't focus on the things that kill firefighters. Is there a better one out there? Would an annual stress echocardiogram and blood test that looks for carcinogens be the way to go? We might find a way to save more firefighters if we would just perform the right physicals...

Thanks for any additional input...

phyrngn
    Last edited by phyrngn; 02-24-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Default 1582

phyrngn, If you find, which I did, the 2000 release it states it in there, I think in 2.4. NFPA 1510 chapter 6 lists all the specs for a physical, but you need to follow OSHA 1910-134.
    They are the ones that will come into your firehouse and...... If you have any question call ConOSAHA they were very helpful. Doctors need to be qualified to become your FD physician. This is also spelled out in Both NFPA as well as the OSHA standards. Your Physician, Safety Officer and town should set up how and when the physicals should be scheduled. 1510 2000 gide lines is a great rule of thumb. Don't forget if the 30 year old has a bad ticker then your doc has the right to call him in every 6 months if he wants.Hope this helps and good luckÖ now turn your head and cough.

Thread Information