MembersZone Subscriber

Default Aspiring firefighter

Im a 20 year old guy looking to become a firefighter, specificly in and around the area of Chicago. I was wondering if anybody could give me some information about application processes for your respective departments, tips to prepare for the application process, anything that would be usefull. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Huh, no ones replied to you, told you to do a search or given lincks. Well since I'm not very good at finding links, I'll give you a run through.

1. Testing for a fire deparment begins at the age of 21, unless a glowing letter of recommendation is accepted from someone with infulence~seen that only one time.

2. There is a physical agility test and writen exam (may be reversed depending on how that department does it). There are books that can be purchased or downloaded for study, also look under "training" at the top of the screen for some good tips for prepping and Captin Bob. Both tests must be passed. If a practice test is offered take it!

3. Oral exam~the interview, most of the time this is pass/fail. Depending on the department extra points are added for those in/were in the military, paramedics and/or Firefighter II. The eligibility list is then made; there are different types of list.

4.Next comes: (may vary in order, not limited too)
    Background investigation, Polygraph examination, Psychological examination, Medical examination.

5. Now comes probation period, where in all training must be completed if not required prior to application. such as EMT-B, EMT-P, FFII. This time is for a max in the state of IL of 2 years. If training is not completed, failed the class, or for almost any reason one may be dismissed from the department.

As for the application itself:
    Look into the local departments on requirements, basics are age between 21-35, valid drivers license, US citized. Others may require FFII, paramedic, EMT-B, 60 hours college credit and some health requirements. When filling the appliction out do not leave anything blank, if it does not apply to you place a "N/A" and/or a large "X" through the box. Make sure everything is spelled correctly. And be honest, they'll find out the truth during the background check and polygraph. Also read the directions carefully, there might be a specific way they want it filled out. Please don't take this as I'm talking to you as a child, but you would be amazed how many people are dismissed because they didn't fill out the application corrcectly. I have filled out countless applications for friends or assisted them in it because they didn't know how too. Even done resumes for adults. If you would like to have a resume, best to offer it during the oral.

Oh, very important!
    'To be early is to be on time. To be on time is to be late.'
    "And to be late is to be $H!+ out of luck!"

Did I leave anything out guys? Feel free to add....
    Last edited by JorieH; 02-13-2005 at 06:53 PM.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Want to be a FF in my dept? Come on down, fill out a little paperwork, pass the physical evaluation and you're a FF. Oh, the pay's not as good as the Chicago area so you'd better have another job to support yourself.
    I seriously wish we had a waiting list for our volunteer dept. We've been short for a while now. Getting closer though.
    I know it's not what you asked for, but I can't give you any idea on how to get hired full time. Never tried.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information