MembersZone Subscriber

Default How do some people sleep at night

Go to the link and scroll down the right side for Marsha Kramers report, dated 1/31/05.

http://wcbs.dayport.com/viewer/viewe...Category_ID=48

Forum Member

Default TVE

Another fine example of a "Good Union man" who "flipped".
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Things becoming clearer!

I recall at the time many were confused and perplexed at why FDNY members were asking that no one purchase the book writen by "the can man" Von Yesman...

...I think it is becoming all to clear why to everyone now.

It should be noted that he NEVER served as a Lt. Capt, or Chief of any rank. He was a fireman for a short time in the Bronx before getting involved in the Union. He has no credentials to lead a major FD other than he sold out his membership for his own personal gain and was the "Yes Man" that Guilani was looking for.

He has zero room to be questioning the decisions made by any officers or firemen that day. It is simply a statement to detract from his own shortcommings(which is a very long list!)

I hope he falls flat on his face just as that blow hard Kerik did. At least the money he made from his self-serving book can be used to pay off the judgements from the lawsuits that I imagine will forthcomming.

I hope this Benedict Arnold rots in Hell!

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-01-2005 at 02:21 PM.

Forum Member

He has zero room to be questioning the decisions made by any officers or firemen that day.
    Ya know, I was going to ask if he had ever been on the floor above a fire to have ANY idea of what he was talking about. Thanks for answering that.

Stay Safe Brothers
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

He was/is, not so affectionately known as "The Can Man". That was the extent of his fireground action before trading his helmet and boots for a suit.

Forum Member

Originally posted by E229Lt
    He was/is, not so affectionately known as "The Can Man". That was the extent of his fireground action before trading his helmet and boots for a suit.

HAHAHA...yeah "The Can Man from the Bronx".....

and my favorite......"JUDAS"....

but then there is also "The smiling Assasin"....

...and as you know....this schmuck is WORSE that Judas ever was....
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

If I remeber my catholic school days Judas was forgiven by Jesus...

I don't know anyone that would forgive "the Can Man".

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Things becoming clearer!

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 09:56 PM.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FFFRED
    If I remeber my catholic school days Judas was forgiven by Jesus...

I don't know anyone that would forgive "the Can Man".

FTM-PTB
    Ain't that the truth.... ...and didn't Judas do the "honorable" thing and leap off a cliff?
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

He was a little more honorable than that, he hung himself.

MembersZone Subscriber

I honestly believe if TVE had come out with nothing but praise following this fire, the majority of us would have told him to go back under his rock.
    To come out slinging mud is just a sad man riddled with guilt looking for 15 more minutes.

I hope his jumping into the spotlight will bring the wrath of indepth journalism down upon him. Perhaps some more digging into his past will uncover some of his other "cost cutting" measures. Or even find out who knew who in the Motorola deal.

The next time I see this guy will be too soon, unless he's doing a Perp Walk in bracelets.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

YES TVE...What about those radios????
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

What a POS!!

It is real easy to Monday morning Quarterback, but to not even have a clue on what he is talking about on Monday morning shows his true colors.

I saw his true colors in the French brothers' documentary. He looked like a deer in headlights, a scared little boy among men.

The truth will always shine through.
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry
    Captain, Rescue Company 1
    City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

Forum Member

SO, what he is saying is that you don't need emergency escape equipment because you shouldn't put yourself in a position to need it anyway? That's basicly what he said. He said screw the rope, why were they in there to begin with. Well, with this new logic, we can save lots of money. We don't need SCBA with PASS devices. We don't need RIT equipment or RIT teams, hell that stuff costs a lot of money.

I bet the water is a major drain on the budget too. They should stop using that stuff as well
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

the roads are pretty dangerous, and we'll save on gas if we all just stay home.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Here they are.

Here are the relevant documents as related to the recall of the Personal harnesses and the personal ropes.

http://www.ufoa.org/pdf/SafetyRopes.pdf

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Like I said, the truth will shine through. There is always a paper trail Tommy.
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry

MembersZone Subscriber

How much does one of these harness/rope devices cost?
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

About $139, but if you by in bulk as the FDNY does it would be somewhat cheaper.
    Last edited by FitzBFDT2; 02-02-2005 at 12:19 PM.
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb The Chief edditiorial

Cost Can't Be Measured
    Chief Leader Editorial 02/04/05

The deaths of two firefighters and serious injuries to four others who jumped four flights from a burning Bronx building have forced the Fire Department to reexamine the decision to discontinue the use of personal safety ropes five years ago.

One of the injured men, Firefighter Jeffrey Cool, happened to still have a personal rope, and he and Firefighter Joseph DiBernardo used it to lower themselves part of the way to the ground before each suffering mishaps. Both are still hospitalized, but the rope apparently helped to keep their serious injuries from being fatal.

Fire Department officials said last week that they believe the issuance of the ropes was discontinued because of concern about the added bulk for firefighters already carrying between 50 and 100 pounds of equipment without them. There were also some worries about the ropes posing safety hazards by getting caught as firefighters were moving through blazes.

The fire unions, however, charged that former Commissioner Tom Von Essen gave the order to stop issuing them for cost reasons. The Uniformed Fire Officers' Association cited as proof of that claim a 1996 document from the FDNY Research and Development Unit stating "that there are no funds for these items." Each safety rope cost $90.

Mr. Von Essen denied last weekend that cost played any role in the decision. And the fact that there was a four-year gap between the time of the "no money" memo, which was issued at a time when the city budget was on shaky foundation, and the discontinuation of the ropes' issuance - which occurred at a point when the municipal coffers were flush-means it is difficult to identify cost as the definitive issue.

Fire Commissioner Nick Scoppetta announced last week that the department was revisiting that decision with the idea of finding ropes "that are both strong and lightweight, not burdensome or inconvenient." He has invited the leaders of both firefighter unions to be part of that process, something he is actually required to do.

We sincerely hope that the original decision was not made on the basis of cost. The outlay for equipping each firefighter in the field with the ropes would only be about $1 million. While the Bloomberg administration has eliminated some fire companies because the annual savings for each shuttered company is roughly the same amount, it could do that from its belief that this would not make a life-and-death difference in responses.

Such a rationalization cannot be made here. The sacrifices of Lieut. Curtis Meyran and Firefighter John Bellew-who both died leaping from the Jan. 23 Bronx fire-as well as Firefighter Richard Sclafani, who was killed in an unrelated fire in Brooklyn that same day, are a vivid reminder of why the lives of such people should never be jeopardized to save a few bucks
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-02-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Forum Member

Default Update please...

6 guys came out the window. 2 passed on. 2 used ropes to get partway down before rope failure and were seriously injured. I have not heard what happened with the other 2. Did they also use ropes or did they go without the ropes?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

this is all news to me, who's writing a book?
    Bucks County, PA.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Originally posted by FitzBFDT2
    About $139, but if you by in bulk as the FDNY does it would be somewhat cheaper.
    1.6 Million Rope,Harness, and Training
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

So let's see, $1.6 million divided by about 11,000 Firefighters & Officers(UFOA website) means it would cost all of approximately $145.45 per person for rope harness AND training. It's almost criminal that it took two more dead brothers to get this equipment back.

Forum Member

Well, its not back yet...........

I myself carry a rope bag on my belt, you never know when you might need it.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Thread Information