Forum Member

Default Sharpsburg, PA 6 FF's injured in chimney collapse

May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

Don't remember the year - maybe George can weigh in here - but there was a Firefighter LODD in Morris County, NJ (Chatham if I remember right) when chimney fell on him. These stories are always scarey reminders of the dangers we face.

Hope they recover and wish them the best!

MembersZone Subscriber

hope that everyone is going to be alright, stay safe and a speedy recovery to all.

Forum Member

IIRC, Syracuse fire department lost some guys several years ago when a chiminey collapsed into their ladder bucket. glad to hear they are all in stable condition
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

How many times do we forget about the chimney ? I know that I have seen 3 near misses in my 25 years .... I guess it's something that is easy to overlook and we need to make an effort to think about it. Maybe we need a buzzword .... like a Residental Collapse Zone.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Chatham Boro (NJ) fire was about ten years ago. It called a highly trained and highly skilled career fire fighter, Lou Sheets, who was operating as a volunteer in his hometown. The fire was a fatal fire in a SFD about 100 years old. The chimney fell early in the fire. Investigation revealed that the chimney had not been secured to the structure during construction. The fire was caused by careless smoking in a living room chair.

The Syracuse loss involving a chimney that I am familiar with had zero to do with an aerial ladder. Approximately five to seven years ago, a veteran FF, serving as a fire investigator, was killed when the chimney collapsed into the attic two days post fire during a fire scene investigation. Three possibly was another one, but I do not remember it.

You cannot turn off gravity. The chimney can fall at any time once the building system (that's right boys and girls, the building is a system) has been compromised.

Forum Member

According to KDKA news, the chimney brought the stairs to the basement and one of the firefighters "Rode them down" (scary thought). Only one (Etna FF) is still hospitalized at AGH and one from Aspinwall at UPMC. The Aspinwall FF had a "wall collapse" on him and his condition is not being disclosed as of 6:00 P.M.

E6511

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm praying that they are not seriously injured. I really give all of you guys credit for the risks you take to protect the rest of us.
    God bless you.

Brenda

Forum Member

The remaining hospitalized firefighters are listed in fair condition according to this morning's Post-Gazette.

E6511

MembersZone Subscriber

according to all reports that I have heard today all are going to be alright, not sure but I heard one guy was still in the hospital but in good condition. Glad everyone is going to be alright, stay safe, evryone come home

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Good news
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

one firefighter is still in the hospital listed in fair condition as of this mornings news broadcasts. Speedy recovery brother.

Thread Information