Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Training Certifications

I have a question about training. I have to take FF1 but what do I take next? The dept. I hope to get hired with in the future said I should take a Rescue Ops. class and Engine & Truck Company Fireground Operations courses.Were do I start? I know I have to start with FF1, but then do I take FF2 or do I do one of the other classes?
    Do what you have to do for everyone to go home
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff

September 11th All gave some, some gave all Fever Forget!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well if you going to get FF1 might as well and get FF2 too. Here in Ky some full time departments require you to have FF1 and FF2. I would take everything you can that will help.
    Thanks
    DM

take FF1, FF2, FF3, Rescue ops, truck ops, engine ops, tacticle operations, hazmat ops, WMD ops, EMT, PHTLS, motor vehicle extrication ops..... this list goes on and on. whatever you do, keep taking courses and learning
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

NFPA no longer recognizes the Firefighter III level. It is not a part of NFPA 1001.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Forum Member

I have some good stuff for you co1junior. Previously, someone might take Basic than intermediate followed by advanced firefighter. Now, the basic and intermediate fire levels are covered under FF1 and the advanced under FF2. After FF1, the best choice you could make would be to go directly to FF2. The FF2 course concludes you mainstream fire fighter training. FF2 consists of performance criteria in: incident command implementation, build-ing materials and collapse, special rescue, hydrant flow and operability, hose tools,and much more. Important if you want to pursue a career in Firefighting. This course is 27 hours in New York and is usually essential. After FF2, I would take Truck Company Operations. This course is helpful if you ever ride a truck company and gives a better understanding on FF tools and ladders. This course is 24 hours long in New York. If you are going to be driving a truck or engine you need to take aerial ops and pump ops. Pump ops I would take anyway because it teaches you the basics on how pumps work and how to op them. Next you should take firefighting survival and FAST team ops. Fast team ops is VERY VERY IMPORTANT. I was at a drill today in which we were doing FAST team operations with FF1 and FF2 graduates. These FF's did poorly because they did not have Fast certs. Those who did have Fast team certs did awesome. After this, the only other courses I would take would be Mask Confidence (because being blind with a mask on is more difficult than people think... we just don't get enough practice with it and to my beliefs it is the hardest task a FF will have to do. One more course... Rescue Technician - Basic and Confined Space Awareness/Rescue. This essential 40 hour (in NYS) course combines Rescue tech basic with confined space and confined space safety. My E-mail is Echoresponse@earthlink.net ... ask any question and I will check out the courses in your state too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Depending if your FF1 and FF2 is state ran or IFSAC. If it is IFSAC you have FF1 and FF2 nothing else in between.
    Thanks
    DM

Thread Information