Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Physicals????

Unhappy Physicals????

Hi, I new to this forum, so be gentle. I posted the same in safety with no replies.
    What standard should we (FF/EMS) follow, NFPA 1582 which states annual physicals. The reason I am asking is our other town fire house is using this NVFC Health and Wellness Guide, In this guide on page 36 under Annual Medical Exam they (NVFC) states the NFPA 1582 recommends, I never read the words "recommend" in the NFPA 1582. In the same NVFC paragraph it states that the NFPA gives age groups for physicals. Such as members over 40, every year, 30-39 every two years and so on. Where in NFPA 1582 does it state this? I read the whole thing and never found anything in NFPA 1582 that the NVFC clams. What should we follow? Has anyone ever heard of NFPA giving age ranges for physicals?
    Thanks for your help
    denkopf

MembersZone Subscriber

I do not have a copy of 1582 here to reference, but the intervals you cited are what our health care provider uses for our annual medicals. We have adopted 1582 as the standard.

All NFPA standards are recommended practices unless the are adopted by the authority having jurisdiction.

OSHA 1910.134, which must be followed, requires annual medical evaluations by use of survey form that is reviewed by a health care professional. The medical professional whould then decide, based on the answers, when a physical exam, pulmonary function test, stress test, etc. is required.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 02-02-2005 at 10:37 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Default Physicals

Ken, thanks for the quick reply, did you ever read anything in the NFPA 1582 stating anything about ages and duration between physicals as the NVFC states says. They claim, according to their guide that NFPA states this info but I cannot find it anywhere.
    dennis

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA 1582, 2000 edition

2-4.1.3

In addition to the annual medical evaluation, the fire department shall include a medical examination according to the following schedule:
    (1) Ages 29 and under- at least every 3 years.

(2) Ages 30 to 39- At least every 2 years.

(3) Ages 40 and above- every year.

The appendix for this standard states the exam may be conducted more frequently based on medical conditions and coronory risk factors.

Default physicals

Thanks again Ken, I was looking through the 2003 (see link below) addition with no mention of 2-4.1.3 could this have changed or left out? How can I view the 2000 edition?
    thanks again you have been a great help.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co...s/NFPA1582.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

The 2003 standard is much more detailed than the 2000 edition. They may be refering to the 2000 edition. No mention of age ranges in 2003.

My FD uses the 2000 standard, which exceeds the OSHA requirements.

I do not know where you can download 1582, as NFPA would really like to sell you a copy.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 02-03-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Default physicals

Ken, and everyone who is reading this, I think what I am going to do is call our insurance Co. and see what they want. It seem a bit silly that the 2000 has the age breakdown and that it did not carry to 2003. Ultimately it will be up the insurance Co. If anyone is interested in what they mandate I will post it here.
    Ken, thank you for your input.
    dennis

Wink physicals the end

I just spoke to someone at CON OSHA about 1910-134. They stated plain and simple, it is up the physician that administers the physicals. Everyone needs the initial exam but after that he/she regulates the individual frequency. You can adopt the 40 years annually 30-39 every three and so on as long as the doc agrees. The doc, at any time can change this. If the doc examines a 35 year old and feel he/she need a physical every year then so be it.
    Hazmat is different OSHA1910-120(f)(3)(l)(b) states annually.
    Hope this helps everyone
    dennis

Thread Information