Thread: letter

Forum Member

Default letter

I recently inquired about joining a volunteer department, and thye told me I had to write a letter to the Chief. Since I have no qualifications, how should I word/write the letter? Is it a first person/personal letter on why I want to be a firefighter, or is it more like a resume and cover letter? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Both. They want to know if you have any secondary skills they can use, and the letter will show your desire.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would encourage you to write a cover letter explaining your desire to serve your community as a volunteer firefighter. I would also suggest you visit the fire station and get to know the firefighters. I am pretty certain that if the firefighters get to know and like you they will tell the fire chief. Since he or she makes the decision of who to bring aboard a positive word from the firefighters will help.
    I would also encourage you to get involved in the department. Help with fund-raising events as well as on maintenance days. Face time is very important.
    Lastly, when yo get to know the firefighters ask their advice about the contents of the letter.
    Good luck, you will love the fire service!
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of Smoke Your Firefighter Interview and The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-year Plan
    www.smokeyourfirefighterinterview.com

Thread Information