Forum Member

Lightbulb ATV Use In The Fire Service?

How many fire departments own ATV's or allow members to use their personal ATV on calls.

They could be used on wildfires,search and rescue operations,ect.

If so

1.How do you address training on the ATV use.

2.When and how do you allow firefighters to use personal ATV vs departmental.

3.PPE Required for operation.

4.Reference sites on ATV use during rescue operations.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

In my area I beleive Canning Fire Dept is the only dept with an actual Department ATV...Otherwise if one is needed usually a member of a dept will have one and volunteer it
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Never seen one let people use their personal ATV, but I have worked for several agencies that owned their own.

Forum Member

Interestingly enough, we have just begun discussing the purchase of 2 ATVs. The dicussion arose after a recent incident where a small aircraft crashed into a tree and was suspended 40 ft in the air. The crash site was down a large embankment in a wooded area. We have a MULE with a bed on it. This vehicle is primarily used for medical standbys and other similar events. However, it would have been nice to have an ATV for the most recent incident given its greater off-road capabilities. Just wondering if anyone has input to which models to consider or any experience with a particular manufacture?

Forum Member
    Last edited by Weruj1; 02-02-2005 at 09:06 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Question Hey Weruj1?Subject is Not Dog Food yet?

I have looked over the old post.I found alot of rambling about the best brand and design.

My question is addressing training requirements placed on firefighter and rescue personal for in-house use.

I also looking for guidelines on departmental or Personal ATV use that my be allowed by some departments on scenes.

Departments that allow firefighters to use personal ATV's during fire scene operations could be held liable for injures from that use.

If we departments are using ATV on scenes, should we not trained on the risk involved with its use.This should be address in a S.O.G.

Type of PPE needed while using ATV in this type of manner should different than that of the recreational rider. Wildland fire PPE maybe called for at times VS standard ATV gear.

I see alot fire departments and rescue squads purchasing and using ATV's without stopping and thinking about the safety and S.O.G. component.
    Last edited by coldfront; 02-02-2005 at 10:04 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Here is ours...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Here members of the VFD often ride their privately owned ATVs in parades or on patrol at fairs and fests. They usually carry their First Responder med bags and O2 'D' cylinders on the racks of the bikes. Some bikes are decorated with Red lights (or Blue as a couple of our FFs are Reserve Deputies). These ATVs are useful for searches along the Missisippi River levee which borders our district and some of the swampy ares around here.
    The VFD doesn't conduct any training on the use of these privately owned ATVs and doesn't supply any fuel or repairs when they are used.
    They aren't used for wildland firefighting since that is rarely needed here.

Forum Member

Our department doesn't own one. We have to use our own when needed. There are not any requirements for members. Most of our members are already experienced riders (living in rural Appalachian Ohio) and can ride where they need to. We only use them when having to do search and rescues in rough terrain or wilderness, or hauling equipment. Sometimes used at brush fires, but rare. We never have anything that big.

Forum Member

My department purchased two of them.

Any member that wants to operate them must be 21 years or older and complete 20 hours of training. We train our firefighters to be able to operate the machine with PPE on, but advise they should wear appropriate attire if operating at a fire scene. The reason we do this is if for some reason the **** hits the fan, he/she will be able to hop on and operate with full PPE instead of fumbling around.

We do allow use of personal ATV's at a fire scene, but ONLY if ATV's were specifically requested to the scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is ours, we just got it this past summer. It was purchased with a grant from IL DNR
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lilyogi

My fire Dept. owns a 6x6 ATV. We used to have a small skid unit. It is capable of towing its own trailer.
    We have at times allowed use of privately owned atv;s, mostly for large are search and rescues, along with their Jeeps also.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ATV Use

i would say about 25% our our member own atv's. we have a lot of sand pits and ruff terrain and rivers, and for some reason a lot of "lost in the woods" calls.

depending on the situation we either ride our brush units, or personal trucks, if you think the atv is a better idea just say "hey chief, should we grab our quads and go check the area no trucks can get to easily" then its his call.

as far as which one to buy, 80% of us that have them have the Honda Rancher, and let me tell you it WILL take anything you throw at it, ive towed trucks that were stuck in the mud to the axle, and Had it LITERALLY complete submerged with only the steering column out of the water crossing a river never so much as sputtered

DO NOT GET an atv with ES (electronic shift) no matter what the salesman blows up your skirt, it WILL FAIL when subjected to enuff water or mud, and lets face it, your not going to be searching for someone on a lazy warm dry sunny afternoon, it will be in a downpour or a blizzard or they will be in the middle of a lake
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

MembersZone Subscriber

How do those departments that use personal equipment address breakdowns and accidents? Do you pay for the repair; put in an insurance claim; have the owner sign a waiver?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, our commissioners have stated numerous times that they will not reimburse for personal equipment damaged on a fire scene. Most of the time personal equipment is not needed but in the rare occasion, it usually wont be damage, or if it is it's minor.

Now theres nothing saying the company can't help with the repairs, all that takes is one member saying "hey Johnny brought his atv out and thank god he did i think we should contribute half the repair bill" at a meeting, then let the members vote on it. Ultimately its up to the member bringing out their stuff but when ever i do it im never thinking about repair bills etc.
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Thread Information