Forum Member

Default Fire Science Degree

Ok. Im thinking about going to college (in 6 months) for a fire science degree. I'v been talking with my father and he says that if I go for this nothing will come of it. So is it worth going to college for it and also what all will I get?
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's a good jumping point to a BA in Business or Urban Affairs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 09:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Gee, dad's encouraging.

Anyway, depending on what type of degree you are looking at -- are you looking at Fire Protection Engineering? You probably have slightly better options there. But, any degree will help you when you need to check off the college box on that fire test.

I have a BS in Arson Investigation and a BS in Fire Science Administration. And an MA in Political Science. Almost 8 years after getting my BS's, I'm finally somewhat using them (I work on fire service issues on Capitol Hill).

Of course, this all depends on what your area's hiring system is like -- in my area (100% volunteer fire departments), I had to take a Civil Service Exam in order to be on a list for the slim chance I may get called up to be a fire marshal. If I wanted to be an arson investigator (which I did when I first went to school), I would have had to have joined the police dept. and be a police officer first (another Civil Service Exam) and then it's a waiting game since openings are few and far between.

Look at the programs at Eastern Kentucky, UMD-College Park, and the University of New Haven (www.newhaven.edu) -- that'll give you an idea of what's out there. Go on a tour, ask questions, interview students/alumni and see what their career goals/paths are like. A lot of guys (and a few of the girls) from my alumni are paid firefighters -- whether it's their hometown or a major city (think Boston and New York).

If it's a financial issue that dad's worried about, there are plenty of scholarships out there (IAFC Foundation has one) and maybe you could go to a Community College first, several have fire science and criminal justice programs.
    Last edited by DianeC; 02-03-2005 at 04:33 PM.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Its not that hes not being encouraging, he doesn't want me to waste 4 years of my life on something that I won't use which is why I asked about it. All I know is the college that I got accepted to offers a Fire Science degree so.
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

MembersZone Subscriber

what college is it that you got excpeted i myself am considering majoring in fire science
    ASSUME NOTHING

MembersZone Subscriber

Consider this. Ask yourself what your career goals are. If you want to be a career FF, spending four years now on a FS degree will probably not help you get the job. By all means get the degree, but realize that the major place it will help is promotions and post-retirement career.

But here's the good news. You have a ton of career options outside the fire service. One of the fastest growing professions out there today, as someone already mentioned, is fire protection engineering. To check all of the career options, locate the website for the Society of Fire Protection Engineers and check out their careers section. This field has several tracks...all of which are well paying and exciting.

Schools offering this degree include OK State, University of MD, and perhaps the best program of the all is Worcester Polytechnic Institute. With a MS in FPE and a PE license, you will write your own ticket.

A college degree will not, in and of itself, get you a job. A college degree will make you grow up, get a sense of discipline and independence and give you a clear picture of what you want to do with the next 40 years or so of your life.

Go for it!

MembersZone Subscriber

The University of New Haven offers Fire Protection Engineering, too:

http://www.newhaven.edu/psps/firescience.html

They also have a Student Branch of the Connecticut Valley Chapter of SFPE

This link has a lot of websites for jobs in the Public Safety and Professional Studies field:

http://www.newhaven.edu/psps/careerpopup.html
    Last edited by DianeC; 02-03-2005 at 05:19 PM.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DianeC
    The University of New Haven offers Fire Protection Engineering, too:

http://www.newhaven.edu/psps/firescience.html

They also have a Student Branch of the Connecticut Valley Chapter of SFPE

This link has a lot of websites for jobs in the Public Safety and Professional Studies field:

http://www.newhaven.edu/psps/careerpopup.html
    I didn't know that. Thanks.

District Chief

Do it...... You will not regret it. I regret the fact that I did not get mine earlier. After 33 years in this business I am in the middle of my last class that will give me an AAS in Fire Science Technology.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Like others have said.......its not going to get you on the job. It is just another step in the yellow brick road to make you look better. At my college they offer a EMT-B program in addition to the fire science so I am taking that too.
    It is nice because it is the equivalent to 3 regular courses. Its three LA electives I donít much care about I donít have to take.....to receive a cert. I will use.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Rob
    Speaking as one who is currently pursuing her Bachelor's in Fire Science- GO FOR IT!!!!

As George said, a college degree will not be an automatic ticket to a job. The process of earning that degree will teach you discipline, help you develop your writing skills (you write a LOT of research papers!), and it is something that no one can ever take away from you. If you have desire, commitment and dedication, the rest will follow. Good luck to you. I love every minute of it.

Cheffie

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Degrees are the way to go

I'm currently attending a college trying to complete my associates of fire science degree. It is the growing trend in the U.S. that people need to have degree in something to even get a job. I mean really what can it hurt maybe 2 years of your life. It will be easier to hire someone who has some formal education vs. someone who just comes off of the street thinking that, that looks like an easy job. Then again when it comes time for promotions and such it will make it easier if you have the degree if you are competing with some one who doesn't have a degree.

Best of Luck

All of my teachers encourage us to go for a degree. The more education you have, the better your chances are of getting hired. And besides, a lot of places require degrees to get promotions too. So I'd say go for it!
    Remembering those who died on September 11, 2001.

Visit me
    http://s2.forumforfree.com/?mforum=fireexplorers

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently pursuing my degree in Fire Science at University of Maryland University College. It is a great program and it is online, which requires discipline to keep up with but is very rewarding and fits in with my shift work schedule.

BUT!!! If I had it all to do over again I would have gone to UMD to get a Fire Protection Engineering degree.

AND...If you want to become a career FF, I suggest you get some emergency medical experience and look to get your EMT-P, that will make it immensely easier to get hired at the department of your choice.

Overall, good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oklahoma State University: Stillwater, OK

Highly recommend going to college......

Here is another great school with a great reputation and strong tradition.

http://fpst.okstate.edu/

I am currently a Senior in the program and would be more than willing to answer questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here another school that fairly well known.

www.fireandsafety.eku.edu

if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Thanks
    DM

District Chief

The big thing to be careful about is diploma mills. The college you get your degree from (especially on line) should be able to tell you that they are accredited by one of the college associations, such as the Southern Association of Colleges.

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/elearn...ource=overture
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default List of Colleges

Not trying to stray off topic, but what kinds of classes are associated with a fire science degree. I am taking FF1 and some wildland classes. Do they count towards a fire science degree or just a degree in firefighting.
    Remembering those who died on September 11, 2001.

Visit me
    http://s2.forumforfree.com/?mforum=fireexplorers

Forum Member

598 I was just getting ready to ask that question also.
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

Forum Member

Default Education

Are you referring to an AS 2 year program or a BA four year degree?

Is you father in the fire service?

Is your goal to become a firefighter?
    Last edited by CaptBob; 02-09-2005 at 10:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am just finishing my business degree with a specialization in Marketing. I originally wanted to take Fire Science and be a firefighter. A friend my of my faters who is a retired capatin told me it would be better to take a business degree because as you gain ranks in the fire service, there is more paperwork and "business" type stuff that goes on. Also it helps out alot if you have a part time job along with the firefighting.

David Larson

MembersZone Subscriber

George, WPI's degree is five year program in traditional engineering and ending in a master's in fire protection engineering. Maryland's program is similiar in that it is design work only, pretty much straight engineering. Not to mention the cost is through the roof.

EKU and New Haven's Bachelor's programs aren't even accredited.

Oklahoma State University offers an accredited program in both fire protection engineering and safety engineering, so you get a handle and experience in not only how fire protection systems work (lab courses actually consist of constructing mini-systems and dismantling them), but also an understanding of safety engineering including certification in OSHA compliant HAZMAT/HAZWOPR technician and industrial hygiene. These are concepts that are being tapped by larger departments (i.e. Phoenix) to help make the environment a bit safer in the fire service. We've produced fire service leaders who have forged new trails in the past 40 years (Alan Brunacini in Phoenix and John Norman at FDNY). I could go on and on about our program, but let the facts stand alone: we are the West Point of the Fire Service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by engine1321
    George, WPI's degree is five year program in traditional engineering and ending in a master's in fire protection engineering. Maryland's program is similiar in that it is design work only, pretty much straight engineering. Not to mention the cost is through the roof.

EKU and New Haven's Bachelor's programs aren't even accredited.

Oklahoma State University offers an accredited program in both fire protection engineering and safety engineering, so you get a handle and experience in not only how fire protection systems work (lab courses actually consist of constructing mini-systems and dismantling them), but also an understanding of safety engineering including certification in OSHA compliant HAZMAT/HAZWOPR technician and industrial hygiene. These are concepts that are being tapped by larger departments (i.e. Phoenix) to help make the environment a bit safer in the fire service. We've produced fire service leaders who have forged new trails in the past 40 years (Alan Brunacini in Phoenix and John Norman at FDNY). I could go on and on about our program, but let the facts stand alone: we are the West Point of the Fire Service.
    First of all, there is an arrogance to your post that suggests that someone tried to insult OK State. I re-read all the posts and found nothing that even remotely suggested any negatives about your school. So it might be a good idea to lose the attitude.

Secondly, WPI and U Md have premiere programs. Are they expensive? Of course they are. But these are top notch schools with unquestionable academic reputations. If I remember correctly, WPI has a collaborative program with NIST in the study of fire protection engineering. Why does the cost of the school become a negative? I have twin 17 year-olds who will start college in September. Both have GPA's in excess of 3.5 and class ranks in the top 25%. They have been accepted at some major universiies. One factor that I am not going to use to help them choose a school is cost. There a plethora of financial aid programs, as I am sure you know, that will make almost any college within reach of almost any dtudent.

The combined BS/MS program is a fantastic idea. Many students complete their BS with every intention of returning to school and, for whatever reason (usually a damn woman ) they put the decision off until much later in life. With the combined program, they can finish the MS before they begin their career and when their "learning routine" is still fresh.

Thirdly, you are certainly not suggesting that UNH and EKU are not accredited universities, are you? If you are referring to ABET, as far as I can find out, they do not have a specific accreditation in fire science or fire protection. So I am not sure if the fact that EKU or UNH not having that accreditation is an accurate guage of the quality of the program. Also, ABET is not the only accreidting organization out there.

Lastly, there is no question that OK State has a fine program. There is no doubt that they have esteemed graduates. But to disparage other schools at your expense is grossly unfair and quite unprofessional.

Thread Information