MembersZone Subscriber

Default Isnt this what these guys are paid for ?!

Marine General Says It's Fun To 'Shoot Some People'

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...97/detail.html

WASHINGTON -- The commandant of the Marine Corps said Thursday he has counseled a senior subordinate for saying publicly, "It's fun to shoot some people."

Lt. Gen. James N. Mattis, an infantry officer who has commanded Marines in both Afghanistan and Iraq, made the comments Tuesday while speaking to a forum in San Diego about strategies for the war on terror. Mattis is the commanding general of the Marine Corps Combat Development Command in Quantico, Va.

According to an audio recording of Mattis' remarks, he said, "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you, I like brawling."

Can I get a HOO RAH from all the jarheads out there ?!

Forum Member

General Mattis is a career Marine officer. As usual, his quotation was taken out of context by the useless media. From the things I hear about Gen. Mattis, he is very similar in nature to Gen. George S. Patton. He speaks his mind, as most men and women in the military do. It may not be PC, it may not make you happy, but at least you know what he thinks. What is the worst that is gonna happen? The useless friggin' terrorist dirtbags get more upset with us?

His way of life is preparing the men and women under his command for battle and making sure that the mission is met. I'll follow him into battle.

Can I get a HOO RAH from all the jarheads out there ?!
    No you may not. I will however give you an "OOH RAH" as this is what Marines do. Semper Fi! baby.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

"Kill Japs...kill Japs...kill MORE Japs!!"--Adm. William F. Halsey

"Kill or be killed."--a WWII Marine maxim

"The only good Jap is a dead Jap!"--another WWII maxim

I suppose we should dig up "Bull" Halsey and get in touch with every other Marine, soldier, airman, Coastie, or sailor that served in the Pacific to "counsel" them as to their 'offensive' and very un-60 year later PC statements.

Did I mention that I hate the media and I hate the friggin' PC freeks out there.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Gen Mattis...is the Modern version of Gen Puller....unfourtunatley in this wolrd of PC Fairies...he is most likely at his terminal rank....but gee...go figure...in war people are killed...and this Gen thought it was fun to kill the enemies of our nation...hmmmm.....well...it is FUN...real friggin FUN....I wish we could have had MORE FUN prior to 2001....we should have had a-lot more FUN in 1993....and to those who say this Marine was wrong...I have a BIG F-U waiting for you....He should be promoted and be given Theater Command....
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes!, this is exactly what they are paid for and I am sure behind closed doors this is the exact attitude the Marines want from him. Our armed forces need people like him to do the dirty work that is war. He's just not really supposed to say it in front of a bunch of tree-hugging peacenicks.

Rigin

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

There was a story from the first Gulf War (?) of an Air Force Gen who when asked what he thought of the Iraqis and fighting in the desert. Something to the effect of:

"Nuc it, and make the worlds largest parking lot out of it."

Or words to that effect.

But overall I have to side with the Gen. As soldiers we are trained and expected to the nasty work for those who are either unwilling or incapable.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Well.....he was never going to get his fourth star anyhow
    Semper Fi!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Now now. We need to be kind and understanding... even through they are trying to kill us and will murder anyone they feel isn't worthy. It's their way of life and we should respect that.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Hi. For gen Mattis killing it fun.I say fun is sex,drinking,bar fights and saving lifes.I dont think that soldiers that are shipped to Iraq think of it as a trip to the amusment park. When soldier kills the enemy it is because otherwise enemy will kill him(her).When soldier kills it is because it is his job. Only psychopaths kill for fun. .General Mattis forgot that he was speaking in public. Now a lot of people is going to think that Marine corp is full of guys that enjoy taking lifes very much ,just like it was going out on friday night

Martin
    FDNY candidate

Forum Member

Anyone who thinks killing other humans for any reason is fun is a sick, sick person.

Forum Member

Might not be exactly fun, but anyone who has come out of a firefight unhurt and with all their buddies OK as well, will tell you that it is the biggest adrenaline rush on the planet. Survive and you are on top of the world. That makes lots of things "fun" in hindesight. Anyone that disagrees has never been in combat. Now losing buddies in the fire fight changes everything, but usually only for that incident.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

It's like fire department humor or police department humor. It's a way to allow your mind to deal with the horror of taking a human life. I doubt he thinks its fun but what other way do you want him to deal with it? Please enlighten us as I am sure one of the militarys best minds needs to be told by a civilian that he is a sick sick person.

Rigin

Forum Member

Originally posted by Rigin1
    It's like fire department humor or police department humor. It's a way to allow your mind to deal with the horror of taking a human life. I doubt he thinks its fun but what other way do you want him to deal with it? Please enlighten us as I am sure one of the militarys best minds needs to be told by a civilian that he is a sick sick person.

Rigin
    exactly, but at the same time as a three star he needs to understand the authority his words carry and watch how hey says things.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Originally posted by ThNozzleman
    Anyone who thinks killing other humans for any reason is fun is a sick, sick person.

I guess I am a sick person.........again...you never experienced it so....don't knock it....

You and the others that disagree do not understand the Marine Corps...or Career Marines for that fact....every combat vet I have known has said they enjoyed killing the enemy....and the reason is way to complicated to explain here...but I know I posted it somewere in the past....

Get over it....."Killin' is my B'ness and B'ness is good".....

Once you pick up a rifle and "get in it" you can talk....but if you haven't done it....then you opinion is as valuable as fools gold....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
    Might not be exactly fun, but anyone who has come out of a firefight unhurt and with all their buddies OK as well, will tell you that it is the biggest adrenaline rush on the planet. Survive and you are on top of the world. That makes lots of things "fun" in hindesight. Anyone that disagrees has never been in combat. Now losing buddies in the fire fight changes everything, but usually only for that incident.
    EXACTLEY!.....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Once you pick up a rifle and "get in it" you can talk....but if you haven't done it....then you opinion is as valuable as fools gold....
    Whaaaatever.

Forum Member

Whaaaatever.
    Really man, condemning folks for their views on combat when they have seen it and you have not is BS.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

My friends that returned from the first Gulf War did not think killing people was "fun". Must have been a different division of Marines.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    My friends that returned from the first Gulf War did not think killing people was "fun". Must have been a different division of Marines.
    I bet their stories are different depending on the audience and time that has past. What I did in 1991 seems alot different to me know, then it did in '92-'99. Like I said, hindsight of adrenalin rushes look far different then they did at the time of the incidents. Shooting the ***** with some guys I might call what we did "fun". It really is one of those things that you don't understand unless you have been in it, even more then fighting fires.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Really man, condemning folks for their views on combat when they have seen it and you have not is BS.
    No, it's not. I don't have to be a combat veteran to know that killing for fun is wrong. I have known a few combat veterans of various wars...and even when they DO talk about it, none of them mention killing for fun. In fact, they are more apt to feel sorrow for the loss of life they have seen or caused. Anyone who truly feels joy at the death of someone is just about on par with a whacker-junior who is happy that someone's house is on fire, in my opinion.

Forum Member

No, it's not. I don't have to be a combat veteran to know that killing for fun is wrong. I have known a few combat veterans of various wars...and even when they DO talk about it, none of them mention killing for fun. In fact, they are more apt to feel sorrow for the loss of life they have seen or caused. Anyone who truly feels joy at the death of someone is just about on par with a whacker-junior who is happy that someone's house is on fire, in my opinion.
    They are not "killing for fun" they are killing because that is the job in combat, and they are killing the enemy. And no one said they were killing for fun, just that the task assigned happens to be fun, in a gratifying way. Combat with out friendly losses, and that includes innocents, just happens to be an adrenalin rush that is seen as fun in hindsight. Just like many say that the the job of firefighter is the best in the world, it would not be much fun if you just sat in the firehouse all day with nothing happening. It is the fun of service and defeating the enemy that makes the job the best. You are not a combat vet, so combat vets are never going to talk to you the way we talk to each other. The Lt. Gen. forgot that he was not talking to only his fellow vets.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

someone is just about on par with a whacker-junior who is happy that someone's house is on fire, in my opinion.
    So are people who second guess others on these boards when they have no clue what they are talking about. Of course, in my opinion.

Rigin

Forum Member

Gotta agree with Noz on this one. A general is supposed to be an officer and gentleman. That implies (to me anyway) a sense of civility. This USMC general is implying our military personnel are nothing more than blood thirsty killers. Making us just as bad as them.

I have talked to combat veterans who do say it is the greatest adrenalin rush because you are living at 100%. And as one pointed out to me. The survivors always have great stories.

But they also aren't proud or boastful of the killing they have done. All of them to a man have told me the only reason they killed someone was to get them to stop shooting at them. Politics or freedom or democracy had nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by scfire86; 02-04-2005 at 07:07 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

They are not "killing for fun" they are killing because that is the job in combat, and they are killing the enemy. And no one said they were killing for fun, just that the task assigned happens to be fun, in a gratifying way.
    Um...maybe you should go back and read what started this thread in the first place, as well as a few of the posts here by some members. The fact that it's a job that must be done sometimes should never make it "fun" or "gratifying". That is a disgusting state of mind.
    So are people who second guess others on these boards when they have no clue what they are talking about. Of course, in my opinion.
    I know exactly what I'm talking about. There is nothing "funny" about death or dying, regardless of the circumstances.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know exactly what I'm talking about. There is nothing "funny" about death or dying, regardless of the circumstances.
    Obviously in the context of this thread and in the context of what the Generel was discussing...you don't

Rigin

Thread Information