Default Extrication Time

I am a Firefighter/Paramedic for the City of Columbia MO. I was wanting to know when does the clock start ticking for "extrication time"? I know the "Golden Hour" starts at the time when the call is received at the 911 center. So if you can help me or point me to a National Standard I would be greatful.

Chris

The golden hour in our county states that on your avg car axident, (starts) From the time the call is recivied to the time the pacient rolls into the surgery room(stops) should be 1 hr.
    Thats what your where lookin for?
    -Scott
    "Its the quiet people that change the world and the loud people who take the credit"
    9-11-01

Forum Member

The NFPA standard for rescue technician is 1006. This should be able to tell you when the clock starts ticking for extrication time. Check your station or with the fire academy to see if they have a copy, so you do not have buy it yourself.

Forum Member

I thought the golden hour started at the moment when the trauma occurs.. and that from that time until we arrive on the scene is considered part of that hour.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

The golden hour is from the time the injury/crash occurs and the hour ends when the patient arrives at the emergency room. This is what you will find in most EMT/Medic text books. Alot of people think it ends when they arrive on the O.R. table but that is often debated. I firmly believe in the platinum 10. This is what I learned years ago and now use it myself in classes. When the tools touch the car the clock starts and within 10 minutes on most extrications the patient should be on the cot. Granted we run many calls that it takes alot longer. But if you need to stand back and look, and plan your course of attack for a minute it will make the difference later.
    Remember that the first 3 minutes of your actions or lack there of will dictate the next three hours. Just keep in the back of your mind the 10 minutes but don't let it make you perform a hasty action that adds to the problem.

Forum Member

I think we are talking about three different times here.

The golden hour has been described quite well so far.

Extrication time as in an actual time of day would be when the patient is removed from the vehicle. As in, the extrication time was 19:32 hours.

Extrication time as in elapsed time would be from the time we arrive on scene to the time the patient is removed from the vehicle. Like, the extrication time was 8 minutes.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

FIGJAM

I know the "Golden Hour" starts at the time when the call is received at the 911 center.
    The late Harvey Grant and many others (Inc Ron Moore, Steve Kidd,Ron Shaw, etc) promote the Golden Hour starting from the time of impact/collision.

With regards to your extrication time, to me that would start as soon as you arrive on scene and begin hazard identification/control as part of the extrication process. ie: batteries, glass management, etc
    Luke

Thread Information