MembersZone Subscriber

Question First Written Test

IN A FEW WEEKS I WILL TAKE MY FIRST WRITTEN TEST FOR A CITY DEPARTMENT EVER. MY QUESTION IS WHAT SHOULD I WEAR? HOW DRESSED UP SHOULD I GET? I DON'T WANT TO OVERDRESS.

THANKS
    MARSHALL

Hey Marshall! I've only taken the written once so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I just wore jeans and a sweatshirt- something that would be comfortable to wear while crammed into a tiny desk for 4 hours. Everyone else there was dressed casually, too- I don't think the written requires getting dressed up. Hope this helps!

Forum Member

I was at written test recently. Although there were a couple of I read the posting on about wearing a suit, suits, the typical shorts, sandals and flip flops like they were heading to the beach after, with hats on backwards were the majority.

But, can you believe someone beached their jacked up, over shocked, 4-wheel drive, knobby tire pick up truck in a red zone right in front of the testing facility with fire department related stickers and a volunteer sticker in the front window for a department down in the valley. Do you think that sent message?

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

MembersZone Subscriber

Whenever you are going to be around members of the department DRESS PROFESSOINALLY. Leave the flip flops and swatshirts at home. Believe me when I tell you we take notice.

DO NOT DISRESPECT the members of our departments by showing up to a test or worse yet to our fire stations dressed in anything less than business casual.

Translated nice shoes, professional pants and shirt. Is a suit and tie necessary? It's up to you, but remember you are sending a mesage.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of Smoke Your Firefighter Interview and The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-year Plan
    www.smokeyourfirefighterinterv iew.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the help. Now that I have that figured out I can go back to stressing about the actual test.

Marshall

Thread Information