Forum Member

Default Magnesium Dash Beams ?????

I am trying to find out what makes and models of Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep are equipped with the transverse dash beam made from Magnesium. I have tried to call the "customer service" line, but I was on hold forever. I remember seeing several pictures on this web site of a Jeep vehicle, equipped with a Magnesium dash beam, that caught fire. During the extinguishment process, the dash beam exploded when water was applied.

Recently, I went to a local salvage yard and found several Jeep Liberty vehicles. There were two that had been hit "head on" and had the dash beam visible. It looked like aluminum, but somewhat thicker. It was a "faded gray" color and had a rough surface. I am unsure if it was Magnesium. The salvage yard owner is gonna remove it for me next week so I can look at it.

If anyone knows what vehicles are equipped with this beam, please pass it on.

Forum Member

I am told that the Holmatro book might have such information... but I have yet to see one and I sure can't afford to buy a copy for myself...
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello!

Do you really think its necassary to know the different makes and models of cars with this feature. Do you really think the normal firefighter could remember which cars have this dash beams when you get to know it and does anybody think that we will beginn to search for this info when we arrive at a scene with a vehicle fully involved in a fire where its perhaps not possible to recognize the make?

Your right that there are a lot of potential hazards at a vehicle fire but I think we are not able to react differently depwending on the make and modle and its even not necassery!

Here are my rules for every vehicle fire (not complete for every possible fuel (CNG, LPG etc.) which should be an elementary point of your size up).

* Wear full PPE and SCBA
    * Attack the car from the side
    * Use a straight stream from a safe distance first until the main fire is knocked down.

Normaly it is not necassary to beginn with a close combat which is definitely more dangerous.

A fully involved vehicle without people trapped inside is totaled so it is not worth risking anything.
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

Forum Member

I do appreciate the responses that have been given. One thing that I would like to point out to Mr. Heck is this. At no time during my posting do I state that I was compiling a "data base" of automobiles that contain this beam. Nor did I state that firefighters need to know this information. Furthermore, I am very well aware of the potential hazards of vehicle fires. I am a 19 year veteran with my department. Both as a paramedic/firefighter and a company officer as well. Also, my department has very strict guidelines as to the proper format that is to be used with regard to PPE and extinguishment procedures for vehicle fires. The point of my question was to obtain information for the purpose of a research paper for a college course that I am enrolled. I do not mean to sound harsh, but please read the posting and don't "read into it". By doing so, it sometimes offends the individual who places the topic for discussion.

Forum Member

Did anyone see the recent pictures in FIREHOUSE MAGAZINE of the magnesium "explosion" that occurred during a vehicle fire?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

To the best of my knowledge, the photos were on the website. I will try to attac them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

This one of the first ones prior to the beam expolding.

Forum Member

Let's try that again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello alcatrazlt!

I'm sorry when I sounded like a know-it-all! The thoughts that I wrote down came into my mind when I read your post because you didn't wrote something about your intention. I'm not a native english speaker so it is sometimes not so easy to exactly understand everything and to write down what I mean.
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't help you on your question but was in a class last week and the inst. noted that Ford was going to add several pounds more magnesium to there cars, trucks,etc.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Thread Information