Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default THIS COULD GET REAL STICKY REAL FAST

Male contraceptive could bring another sexual revolution

Bruce Ward CanWest News Service Saturday, February 05, 2005

OTTAWA -- It's called an IVD, and by the end of the decade it may be to male birth control what the iPod is to music geeks.

The Intra Vas Device has the potential to bring about a societal shift by transferring the responsibility for birth control from women to men.

The IVD -- the world's first implantable male contraceptive -- is being billed as a reversible alternative to permanent vasectomy and is anticipated to provide contraceptive effectiveness comparable to the IUD and the birth control pill.

The IVD works something like a vasectomy, only better, explains Dr. Neil Pollock, Vancouver's top vasectomy surgeon and a partner in Shepherd Medical, the U.S. company that owns the patents for the IVD.

"The big bonus that we are anticipating this device will have is the reversibility. Whereas with vasectomy, it's a complex three to four-hour microsurgery, expensive, and with limited success rates."

The IVD -- a 2.5-centimetre hollow silicone plug -- is implanted into the vas deferens tubes to block the flow of sperm from the testicles to the penis.

Implanting the IVD involves accessing the vas deferens tubes, much like a vasectomy. But rather than cutting and cauterizing the tubes, which permanently damages them, only a small opening is made in each tube. The tubes are then capped with silicone plugs. The seven-minute procedure is carried out under local anesthetic in a doctor's office.

The IVD can later be removed in a procedure similar to its insertion, thereby re-establishing sperm flow.

Although men are a tough sell when it comes to contraceptives, the device could revolutionize the multibillion dollar birth-control industry.

Shepherd Medical has been given a $1.4 million grant from the U.S. National Institutes of Health for clinical trials on humans. The clinical study is expected to begin this year, pending Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption approval.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005

OOOOOOUUUUUCCCCHHHHHH!!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Default Re: THIS COULD GET REAL STICKY REAL FAST

The seven-minute procedure is carried out under local anesthetic in a doctor's office.
    Umm. No thank you.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

This is not a whole lot different than a vasectomy. I am not going to have a vasectomy, but do you have the same response to those?

Male birth control is going to be a big deal. I'll take it, I don't want kids, so it is fine for me and my wife. Single men that don't want them either can go for male birth control. It's just another option.

Although most of the research that I have seen has gone into oral contraceptives for men. Sign me up man.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: THIS COULD GET REAL STICKY REAL FAST

Originally posted by nmfire

Umm. No thank you.
    Oh, come on. It only takes seven minutes. It'll be over before you know it!

Default Hmmmmmmm.......

Seven minutes, local anesthesia and the cost of the procedure vs. the over $100K it takes to raise a child today, or the potential loss of income due to paternity suits...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

The longest seven minutes of my life.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Steve...self portrait?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Wimps...

At least none of ya'll actually have to worry about HAVING the kids! I can't see not running fire calls for 9 hours, much less 9 months. That would be like, I don't know, just not a good situation. Haha think a preganat woman is bad...I'm sure one who is a firefighter would be much worse. I know how I get now when I have to miss a call...
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Default Yeah!

Sign me up. Seriously, I am in.

Forum Member

Hope that plug doesn't break free and go with the flow...ouch.

Until that can stop the HIV, it really will not reopen the sexual revolution.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Sign me up. Seriously, I am in
    After you Bou, after you
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Default Well...

Originally posted by martinm

After you Bou, after you

Actually- I am 34 with no kids and dont want any.
    So, next month, I am going to go get snipped.
    (for real)

-Bou

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Before you have it done, ice down a couple of 12 packs real good. Then when you get home, drink one of them while you're sitting on the other.

Things should be ok by the time the alcohol wears off, and everything else "thaws out".
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

One small word

NO !
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Default Thanks..

Originally posted by Steamer
    Before you have it done, ice down a couple of 12 packs real good. Then when you get home, drink one of them while you're sitting on the other.

Things should be ok by the time the alcohol wears off, and everything else "thaws out".

Good idea. Except I have to drive there sober and return
    home the same. I will have to do this proceedure on a
    4 day.

-Bou

Hey Bou, I admire your decision to have the snip. I have been considering the matter myself for a little while now.

On the day you go for the op, don't do what someone I know of did and ride his bicycle to the hospital...

It was a nice day, and instead of driving to the op, he decided that he would get the bike out of the garage and tootle down there on that. It was only half and hours ride after all. The op went well and everything was sown up and what have you and my friend got back on his bike and pedalled home...the local anasthetic wore off about 5 minutes from his house and his wife found him 2 hours later propped up against the garage door, too much in pain to be able to the get off the bike himself...
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Default Re: Thanks..

Originally posted by CALFFBOU

Good idea. Except I have to drive there sober and return
    home the same. I will have to do this proceedure on a
    4 day.

-Bou
    Bou, I think you misunderstood. He's saying make sure the beer is on ice (at home in your refridgerator) before you leave for the appointment. Than, after you get back home, sit on 1 12-pack to numb your junk and drink the other one.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

LOL..........I am not gonna give him any pictures ........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default Re: Re: Thanks..

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Bou, I think you misunderstood. He's saying make sure the beer is on ice (at home in your refridgerator) before you leave for the appointment. Than, after you get back home, sit on 1 12-pack to numb your junk and drink the other one.......
    Thnaks bro- I got that part. I was planning on using the
    cold cans as dual purpose.

I so cant wait to get this done. No "mini-me's" running
    around.

-Bou

Thread Information