Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need answers

Forum Member

Wink Need answers

This is a bit unnerving as I don't write to chat rooms. However since I pester one of our local firechiefs with many questions I thought perhaps I can get some answers on line.

I'm not a firefighter as I'm sure you can already tell. I became interested in firefighting when I helped dig fire breaks at a friends ranch. It was a rotten year for fires. Many of the ranchers were upset by the lack of what the local fire dept. was doing. At that point I decieded I should find out exactly why so many men seemed to be standing around doing nothing. It is amazing how far a little bit of info can go.

Personally I'm more interested in biological/chemical warfare, forensic patholigy and profiling. Many things of which fire inpections crosses over into. I work as an APT investigater. Can be a real fun type of investingating if you enjoy dancing and a good drink.

Since I know very little about firefighting my questions may be quite simple or silly. But I'd rather ask than never know. I also don't always have time to research it.

Are a flash fire and a flash over the same thing? Can a flash fire occure without an excellerant?

I'll stop with these questions as I want to be able to watch the superbowl. I'd appriciate any responses.

Thanks JOJO

Wink Flashover

A flash over happenes inside of a space, like a room in a home. When a temperature above 800 degrees is reached at the highest area of the room. A flash over will occure and can be deadley to a fire fighter. We were never taught about flash fires, but I would assume they would be somthing outside in certin climates that are caused by natural occurances. Such as extream heat in a very dry climate. Neaither need an excelerent to start. They are an occurence caused by heat, how the heat is created depends. If your cheifs are anything like the one's I know. They never have a problem talking to any intrested party. You may however regreate asking some questions, becouse you may get more then you bargened for. I.E the history of fire or the departments them self.

Forum Member

Wink

Thankyou for your response. I'm looking at a case that involves a flash over. However the officer who wrote the report has written it incorrectly. Thus confusing me. (Not hard to do) Our state has very little resource in the libraries or the book stores on fire fighting. So I don't get to do to much of my own research.

My friend the chief is always willing to answer any questions. Only he always insists on knowing why I want to know. I can't always say. Also I only see him at racquetball where he kicks my butt.

Once again thankyou for your time.

JoJO

Lightbulb

Get yourself a copy of the IFSTA ESSENTIALS manual and start reading it. It will help you to understand things better. What state or area are you located?

By the way, Welcome to our part of the world in the forums. Enjoy yourself while you are here and don't be afraid to ask questions, if you need to.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Wink

Thakyou for helping a lady out. I will get the book. I've thought to get books but there are so many listed on line. Now I'll have a clue what to look for.

JoJo

Forum Member

Talking

By the way, I forgot to say I'm in Montana. I'm really enjoying reading alot of the other forums as well. The info I picked up on fire trucks is really good. Thanks for the welcome.

JoJo

Wink

Welcome to the forums JoJo. You sound like a nice young lady that would love to learn a lot and get your hands on things to feel the real feeling.

Have a wonderful time doing the job abd ask questions. We don't mind good questions.

Forum Member

Wink

Question: I was reading in another section that a firefighter should never stand in the exhaust of an engine or other equipment as it can taint an arson investigation. Can someone expand on this. I think I know why, but would like some insight from a firefighters angle.

Also our firefighters are all emt's. Is this a standard requirement to be a firefighter?

One last question. Am I suposed to keep adding to the original post, or am I suposed to start a new one for different questions? I am really at a loss with this computer. I don't even know how I actually found these forums. I just know I'm very glad that I know how to use the "favorites" button.

JoJo

Forum Member

Unhappy

Once again I must post twice as I forgot something. Thankyou for the reply allineedisu. It's nice to be accepted with all my silly questions.

Does anyone have anything good to say about consolidating emergancy agencies besides me.

JoJO

JoJo, just to answer your question about the Firefighters and the EMT's....in Dublin, Ireland the training that i was giving in total lasted 6 months, starting with basic training for a month then into Medical EMT training, then in order Hot Fire Training, Hazmats, Fire Investigation, RTA, Breathing Apperatus training, SRT, MER, and when i was recruited in out of a total of 11,590 they only took 200 into a panel, then that panel is again broke down and in my recruit class there was 38....

Went a bit off topic, sorry, but to get back to your question in Dublin, Yes all firefigthers are EMT's with a few Paramedics, there is a total of 1.5 million people in Dublin and there's only 12 Full Time fire houses and 4 Part time on the outskirts of the city, and in 11 of those houses we got ambulnaces....which the crew man in rotation, also each fire truck is totally EMS equiped ie: Defibrillators, Resucitation bag, Argo Bag and all the usual stuff....

Yet again I go off topic...have a habit of doing that...

Hope it gives yea a bit more insight

PS:- Nearly forgot....we got 11 Fire Brigade Emergency Ambulnaces to look after 1.5 million people....thats the government and there politics for yea....one of these days the **** is gona hit the fan...way to much red tape
    Last edited by JonnytheTurk; 02-12-2005 at 09:17 AM.
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Forum Member

Hi to all:

I've been busy reading some interesting things. I've learned that a flash fire is one where the fumes ignite. They are short lived as once the vapors are burned off the fire puts itself out. Ok! you guys stop laughing. I simplified the official explanation I found. Also that they are not very common.

To Jonnytheturk, I enjoyed your post so never worry about going off subject. I am here to learn everything I can. Though I'm not sure what I will ever do with this information. I have thought of going into arson investigation. I am exploring options for a new career.

As a child I was never allowed to ask questions. I quess that's why now for every answer I get I end up with at least 2 more questions. I think asking questions and learning new things is a hobby that noone should ever outgrow.

JoJo

Forum Member

Captoldtimer are you out there??? I could really use an answer to my question about firefighters, exhaust and arson investigation. (privious post) As an APT investigator it's amazing to me how often I come across a use for the local fire dept. Am concidering going into arson investigating. While I'm totally not fond of fire, the after effect and inspection is very interesting to me. Anyones answer would be great.

Thanks JoJo

Exclamation

Send me a PM with your questions and provide me a email so I can respond back to you.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Unhappy Help!?

Captoldtimer:

I have sent you an e-mail,(I think!) It showed up on my private e-mail. Since I know little about the internet, this may be how it's down. Though I may just have e-mailed myself. If not keep trying to e-mail me and if I do not get connected with you soon I will take a more drastic approach. I will be out of reach as of Mon. the 21st. for about a week. Will try to access this site from afar.

JoJo

Forum Member

First of all welcome to the forums JoJo,

As far as the arson questions - I never really took up the investigation part.

In the United States - not all fire fighters are EMT's, some are first responders, or have no medical training at all.. Depends on the requirements for that particular department.

And you do not have to start a new thread each time you have a question unless you want to...

Forum Member

Thanks for the info and welcome Louisiana Medic. A few more basic questions:

What are static and dynamic ropes? What does PAR stand for? What medical training does a first responder have? (I would think just CPR and first aid)

Thanks to anyone who answers.

JoJo

Forum Member

I will have to look up the rope questions - it's been a while..

PAR stands for Personnel Accountability Recorder.

First Responder - Has CPR - little more than first aid and less then EMT. - They know how to take Blood Pressures, Put on a C-collar, and use Oxygen. The course is approximately 48 hrs long.

As soon as I can I will get back to the rope question..

Bob

Forum Member

Default Static vs Dynamic

Static vs. Dynamic

Climbing ropes are designed to belay a leader, and for that reason they are dynamic - this means that they are designed to stretch under high load so as to absorb the shock force. This protects the leader, the belayer and the protection by reducing fall forces.

Static ropes are more durable and resistant to abrasion and cutting than are dynamic ropes, but they lack the necessary protection against shock loads produced in a leader fall. For that reason they are used only in situations where such shock loads would never occur: rappelling, canyoning, spelunking etc. Static ropes are often used to create or to extend top rope anchors, and they can be used to belay a climber in a "slingshot belay" context. They should NEVER be used to belay a lead climber.

Thus most rescue ropes are static ropes due to the durability and resistants to abrasions and cuts..

Hope this helps..

Forum Member

That's a great answer. Thankyou, it does make my reading make more sence. Could you by chance tell me what a snuffer is? I do believe it's a truck of some sort. Just the first time I've come across it.

JoJo

Forum Member

Default Snuffer

Snuffer is a company that manufactures foam firefighting systems.. like, Compressed Air Foam System (C.A.F.S.).

When talking about snuffer and apparatus, more than likely they are referring to the C.A.F.S.
    Last edited by FTMPTB15; 03-03-2005 at 02:59 AM.

Thread Information