Default help with explorer post

hello, i have an explorer post in Buffalo NY, and we are having a few problems with the group not wanting to attend events, we want them to go to calls and learn more, but they just wont get it, what can we do to get them to start coming, they all have radios and pagers, and they are a real decent group of kids, we have only 4 out of 20 kids who go to calls, what can i do to make them want to go???

Forum Member

Simple...They don't wanna do training,go on calls etc...Give a warning..If they don't start to do more..KICK EM THE HELL OUT!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I'd agree...if they dont have the desire that you and the other members have...mabe they are not doing it for the right reasons........

I agree with the others here. If they don't want to participate, then get rid of them. Thats what our advisors did, and we became a small group fast.
    Remembering those who died on September 11, 2001.

Visit me
    http://s2.forumforfree.com/?mforum=fireexplorers

Forum Member

Where in Buffalo are you?? My dad was a member of Ellicott Creek Volunteer Fire Compnay for eight years and I know a couple of Guys on Getzville and Main-Transit.

As for the patricipation, I'm real busy with football, swimming, crew, Boy Scouts, Homework, and explorers but I love going to training and calls. I agree with everyone else.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

as far as making them go, you cant make them go, theyll do what they want. like the others have said, give them a warning or kick them out. my department has been known to do that a lot . or you also can sit them down and talk to them about why theyre not attending and see what they have to say, if its a legit reason or something that you feel is a good reason to not attend frequently, just tell them that if they should attend when they can. if its some bull**** excuse boot em, have them turn in whatever they were supplied with and walk away. you should never just kick them out unless you feel it necessary.

Most Volley departments have a minimum percentage of calls to make a month or something similar. In the group I help run and assist, we have to keep the same minimum of percentage, 25% in our case to stay active. We get a warning after one month under and the 2nd one we get booted. We dont respond to cals but must go to dept events, functions, and all trainings for our cadet/explorer company as well as our future company every week.
    Mike
    Levittown, NY
    Cadet Corps Member
    1st Lieutenant

Forum Member

i agree with all of them.If they are absent more than a certain amount of times without a good reason(school, family, etc), take there gear away,and put them on supension so they cant go to anything other than your meetings.

Forum Member

Lightbulb A few questions...

How's the leadership? A while back, we had a group of advisors who could not work together and ended up causing problems for us. The kids saw it, followed their example and caused more problems. Could this be the problem?

How does the department feel about the program? When the kids show up is the reaction 'oh god! it's them again- hey probie, why don't you keep the explorers buzy tonight' or does the department encourage the kids to be an active part of the training and the department as a whole?

In my experience, an immature advisor (you guys ARE role models to us), grumpy FD officer, lack of department support, or someone who doesn't like the "kiddies in the station" will cause an explorer post to fall apart.

Rather than just kicking them out, see if the source of the problem can be found and fixed.

I'll admit, there were time I couln't make it due to school or other things. But there was also a time when I left because the politics and bull took all the fun out of it.

Forum Member

I do not remember the exact percentage of meetings required but it is like 85% for regular explorers and 90% for explorer officers. We have people that are still on the roster that I have never met, so our Exp. LT calls them up and tells them that he wants their gear,badge, and uniform back.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

welol i have the same problem and you need to bring to the table th eissue of attendance. if you want to talk more my e-mail is sandidge2@firehouse.com

Thread Information