MembersZone Subscriber

Default need a little advice!

am on a small dept. in michigan we are currently looking at a rescue pumper we have some money in our truck fund. we are in desperate need of a new truck, we have a 1998 hme chasis, ferrara pumper. our second out pupmer is a 1966? ford. we desperately need this new truck. memebers on my dept. however realize the need of the truck but want to try to get a grant for it first! when we could probablly purchase it this year. waiting for the grant could push delivery back a year and a half. any advice on this? also we are writing the grant and telling them instead of paying the normal mathing percent we are willing to pay whatever is in our truck fund a that time! is this a good idea?

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I would not go for the truck. The competition has been immensely fierce this year and the 2005 AFGP looks like it will be even more crowded. You have to play the odss here, go after 25% of the money with 33% of the applicants or go for the other 75% with 66% of the applicants.Any good "gamesman" from Vegas would tell you that the odds are in favor of the PPE /Equipment side not the trucks.

Forum Member

Thats interesting.. Because the speaker at our AFG Workshop yesterday said that this year would be a great time to go for a truck. He said because of the #'s rewarded the previous 3 years that would better a dept's chance this year, since they couldnt apply for truck again.. Just what he said?... who knows..

Forum Member

mic409,

It is my understanding that if you already have a first line vehicle of the type that you are applying for it needs to be about 30 years old before they will probably fund it. Your 1998 rescue pumper will definitely hurt your chances of funding another pumper unless you have a pressing need for it like increased growth and development in your community, adding coverage or a new station or some type of response situation that would warrant another vehicle of the same type. If you are asking for a vehicle class that your dept. does not have in the Priority 1 category for rural depts, let's say a tanker or brush truck, then your chances are much better. Based on what you've said it looks like your best bet would be the operations and safety category and buy the new vehicle yourself especially if you are able to fund it yourselves.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Default My two cents worth.

I have to agree, going for a truck in any year is difficult at best. To get awarded, you have to be the cream of the cream. Just way too many applications for not enough money. Even if the ones awarded in prior years can not apply this year, the ones who were not awarded may well try again. I think this puts you in a race with a lot of people.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way; but your department may not even need another truck. Compaired with so many other departments I saw when I was on the peer review panel they'd love to have your equipment. This make the battle pretty tough. You need to have a grant application that really shines to get noticed.

Not sure who is going to write your grant, but get someone who can rally plead your case. If you decide to go after a truck, you better start now, by the time you have to submit, it's too late. Way to late. A lot of departments started working on theirs months ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I'm pretty sure a "rescue" would be a Priority 2 piece of apparatus for a rural or small city dept. The priority 2 vehicles are really hard to get funded. Like kprsn said, a brush truck, tanker, pumper are priority 1 and would stand a better chance. There's a question in the application that asks how many trucks like you want do you already have. You already have a pumper, so that might kick you out in the computer scoring. I, too, think that in your situation, look for something else you really need and apply for that. Buy the truck yourself. But first of all, go to a grant seminar in your area, or review the presentation that is on firegrantsupport.com. Then read the program guidance, when it comes out, a couple times. Then you might have enough information to make the right choice.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the advice folks, just what i was looking for!

Forum Member

since we're talking about truck grants and priorities, where does the UWI fall under for rural fd's?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Thread Information