Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for Academys in Kansas...

Hello. I live in Johnson County in Kansas. I have many friends who are firefighters back in where I used to live. I was wondering if anybody knows of any FF academys or school programs that offer FF I & II certs. Please let me know all info you can. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only school that offers an "academy" that I know of is Hutchinson Community College in Hutchinson Kansas. They have a very good fire science program from what I've been told. The only other college that I know of that offers a fire science program is Butler County Community College in El Dorado Kansas.

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I've heard, Hutchinson Community College is regarded as one of the best in the nation with their fire program.

As mentioned above, Butler offers a Fire Science degree, and they have teamed up with the El Dorado Fire Dept to offer a neat program. El Dorado FD has built several dorm rooms in their fire station, and they offer them to students in the fire science program, with the stipulation that you volunteer as an on-call ff several hours each week in your time outside of class.

I know that the University of Kansas also offers a fire science degree program, a couple guys from my dept have certs from there.

Forum Member

My brother and I are from Johnson County also. We completed a fire academy this past summer through the Southern Platte Fire Protection District. It is located about 20 to 30 min. north of Overland Park, KS. The academy started Jan. of 04 and ended June 16, 04. We attended class every tues. and thur. evening from 6-10 and sat. mornings 9-1. You become certified FFI, FFII, and Haz-mat opps/awareness. I believe the class that was to start this past jan. was delayed until mar.. The academy was so much fun. All the instructors and firefighters were super cool and easy to get along with. I think the best part of the academy was the tower(search and rescue), burn room, and the SCBA confined spaces maze. SPFPD is currently taking applications for paid firefighter positions until mar.11, so hopefully my brother and I will have our EMT certificates by then(just took the written EMT. exam jan.24) so that we can apply. If not we will apply for a vol. position for sure. Contact Chief Callahan or Captain Main (816)741-2900. Definately one of the best times of my life. Contact me if you have any questions.
    Thanks, Chad Johnson
    Last edited by mx920cj; 02-10-2005 at 01:02 AM.

Forum Member

Johnson County Community College partnered with The City of Overland Park Fire Department have Fire I/II classes along with a complete AAS Program.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Depending on your age and background, the Kansas City Fire Department is getting ready for the hiring process. If appointed, turned out cadets are FF1, FF2 and EMT qualified. None of these certifications are required at application like a lot of municipalities in the area.

If it's what you want and qualify, why not get paid while you learn?

Western Missouri Fire Acadamy in Blues Springs

Post Butler CC Fire Science

The program in Hutchinson is good if you are looking to go into wildland firefighting. However, Butler's program is in my opinion far better for firefighters who want to work for a municipal department. The Butler program is teamed up with the KU Fire-Rescue Training Inst., El Dorado Fire Department, Andover Fire Department, Butler County Rescue Squad and many other agencies to bring the best instructors and hands-on experience to the students. There is a dormitory in the basement of the El Dorado Fire station with quarters for 6-8 students. They fulfill a shift obligation that is secondary to their school work to gain valuable experience. When the resident students graduate with their Associates Degree in Fire Science, they are able to go right into the workforce and list on their resumes that they have working experience with a full-time paid department. You just can't say that anywhere else. If firefighting is truely what you are looking to do with your life then give the Program Coordinator for Butler Fire Science a call!! I know him and he would be happy to answer any questions.

Call: Anthony Yaghjian (Pronounced YAH-GIN)316-321-9100
    www.butlercc.edu

Forum Member

Another program is through KU's Fire & Rescue Training Institute. They offer FFI & FFII programs all over the state free of charge because of state funding.

TF

MembersZone Subscriber

Kansas City KS Community College also has a fire science program.

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

i think all the ones that i know of have been listed. Hutch probly has the best out of the ones that ive looked at. they have the most classes. Johnson county cc has an ok one, just not alot of advanced classes. they do their stuff at OPFD training place and that is a heck of a facality. KCKCC is good too. a bit more low key than JCCC. you get the same good info, just with out all the fancy bells and whistles.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Thread Information