Forum Member

Exclamation Deciding to go. PRos and Cons

I'm sure most of you guys that have decided to go to Iraq have pondered the Pros and Cons numerous times. My boyfriend has applied, interviewed and recieved his packet for his physicals and stuff. Now he is unsure whether it is worth possibly leaving everything behind (a job, family, girlfriend)and take a big risk. He too has looked at his Pros and Cons a lot, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for him. I know that everyone has their own specific reasons and can't tell him what he should or should not do. Has anyone else felt this way and what has made you decide to take this opportunity of a lifetime? I guess any advice will help, plus it might also help him to see that others are facing or have faced the same delema as he has.

Thanks,
    Dyan

MembersZone Subscriber

Dyan, Well it is never easy to decide what to do in this situation. Nobody ever wants to leave thier loved ones behind, or a nice comfortable life. But men and women have been doing it for hundreds of years to help defend this country. Nobody ever wants to think or talk about the possibility that you may not come home. But that possibility is still there nontheless.

I went into the Marines and went where ever they sent me because I have a deep love for this Country and respect for all those who went before me into combat and now for those who have been and are still over in the big sandbox.

I get goose bumps and a big lump in my throat everytime I see the flag being raised or lowered, see it passing in a parade, or hear the National Anthem being played.

Like you said, Nobody can tell him what to do or not to do. If he decides not to do it, he will always wonder "What if?"

In my opinion yes, the rewards are worth the risk. His family will always be there for him and hopefully you will be too.

Good Luck in whatever he decides.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Forum Member

From what you are describing, he is in no way shape or form going over there to protect our nation. He is going to be a conractural firefighter. Correct?

Pro. Can make a large sum of money compared to average firefighter salary here in the states.

Con. Might get your head cut off.

Personally I think I like my head better when still attached to my body. I say the money is NOT worth it.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 02-07-2005 at 05:04 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Originally posted by MemphisE34a
    Personally I think I like my head better when still attached to ny body. I say the money is NOT worth it.
    Have to agree, but he should also look at it as serving his country and helping a distressed nation. It is not a job to do JUST for the money.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Hello,
    My husband has taken this job with WSI.It is a big
    decision to make.He did not choose this job just for the
    money.He has served in the military prior to this and he
    is Proud to be an American.This was just a new adventure
    in firefighting that was a way to help and serve his country
    in a new way.If you would like email me and I would be
    glad to share the ups and downs we had.Good Luck.

Kristy

sprinkles@cheyennesmoonwalk.com

Forum Member

-------------------------------------------------
    Quote:

This was just a new adventure in firefighting that was a way to help and serve his country in a new way.
    --------------------------------------------------

I have a question. Are contract firefighters going to Iraq serving US military bases or fires through out Iraq. All of the information I have seen indicates that they are serving cities like Baghdad. Now it has been a long time, but the last time I looked on a globe, Baghdad was in Iraq.

Is that a new adventure in firefighting? Absolutely. Is it a new way to serve out country? Sorry, I just don't see it. It sounds more like an excuse that tries to put a good reason, one better than money, as to why someone in your family is over there doing this.

Honestly, how is an Iraqi hut in Baghdad being extinguished by Americans benefiting our country?

In any case, and no matter what the reason, I hope they stay safe and accomplish whatever goal they are trying to achieve.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 02-07-2005 at 05:27 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

There is a guy on our fire department who right now is working as a contractual firefighter and he just covers Camp Liberty. To the best of my knowledge the contractual firefighters just serve the fortified areas protected by US troops and do not go into the civilian areas.

And yes, he is making a ton of money. About $96,000 the first year and about $120,000 the second, with the first $80,000 being tax free.

There is somethiong to be said forbeing able to tell your grandchildren that you were part of the birth of a new nation, but there certainly are risks that go along with that. If I did not have children and was younger, maybe I would go. Except for the damn heat ....

Forum Member

Memphis, last time I checked, all of the contract firefighters were protecting the military bases and the military personnel on them. I don't see how that isn't serving our country....

Forum Member

If that is indeed the case, then I agree 100%.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Dyan,

This is just one person's opinion, take it how you want.

Based on what has been posted throughout the 50-something pages under the "FFing in Iraq" forum, my first suggestion for your boyfriend would be: if he is having any doubts at all about going, he may be better off staying safe and sound in the States.
    I am only saying this because many of the posts have repeatedly stressed things such as: if you've never been in the military, it will be a big culture shock for you; this job is not for everyone; this job should not be pursued for the paycheck; if you don't have much patience, you won't last......those among many others. But possibly the biggest factor to consider - it is a high risk job (Firefighting) in an even much higher risk area (war zone) with Third World living conditions (very poor). Hence the salary.

I am going because I have family there right now with the military, and this is the best way I can support him without giving up my job as a Firefighter and joining the Army myself.
    From the day I applied, I have become more excited as my ship-out date gets closer. Granted, I am single, but I still have a family and a job that I'll have to leave for a year; but I have not once had any second thoughts about what I'm about to do.

Best of luck to your boyfriend with his decision.

Forum Member

Originally posted by MemphisE34a
    Honestly, how is an Iraqi hut in Baghdad being extinguished by Americans benefiting our country?

With the insurgency's strongest asset being a population upset over a distroyed infrastructure, providing a service like fire protection and EMS helps to restore the infrastructure and the people's confidence in the US that was evident when Baghdad fell almost two years ago. It might just be a small part, but it is far from insignificant.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information